Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-04-17 15:02:34

Destry
Website

Googly self-destructing emails

Perfect for phishing personal info of non-gmail users.

Looks like I’ll be adjusting my domain filter, adding gmail to aol, hotmail, and yahoo as domains that go straight to the flusher folder. ?

Don’t write me with gmail accounts if you want me to actually see it. ;)

#2 2018-04-17 15:24:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Googly self-destructing emails

Destry wrote #311111:

Perfect for phishing personal info of non-gmail users.

I read that earlier today and it is very similar to what I thought. It is also excellent for phishing passwords of gmail users who receive their mails via email clients.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2018-04-17 16:12:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

optionally require an SMS passcode to open the email

Which presumably means they harvest/require your mobile number too. Y’know, for convenience. And you’ve “opted in” to receive content, so it bypasses large chunks of GDPR.

what happens when you access Gmail through POP/IMAP/SMTP and aren’t using the official client? Google’s solution for this seems to be to send a link… if both people are on the redesigned version of Gmail, the message will just appear

That’s like “free calls to other users of the same network” a.k.a. a way of getting people to recommend the service and get their frends to switch to G-dog for this ‘cool feature’.

It’s not an open tech or even a good standard to try and get the IETF adopt. How are they going to stop you copying the contents? Web inspector and alt-print-screen still exist, right? And the time limit’s a joke, yes? Photographing the screen with another device was how kids bypassed Snapchat time limits of their mates’ questionable selfies, so the same can be done here. As I’m reading text I can even retype the contents in a separate editor if I really wanted to. Or take a photo and OCR it.

More to the point, why try to inhibit sharing?

This is like finding a problem and offering a solution to something that’s not really broken. The real problem is sensibly managing end-to-end encryption, signing and authentication. And storage in a place you (the user) has complete control over. Sending something to someone in an alleged “read only mode” seems a trifle pointless, even for corps who might see this as a way to share docs with clients without NDAs.

It has to be a late April fool…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2018-04-17 16:26:39

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

To me the question is why would anyone who needs this kind of security trust google?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer