Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-03-30 11:02:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Cambridge Analytica + (good reading)

phiw13 wrote #310459:

On a related note, here is a (to my eyes) a decent introduction on the GDPR – EU’s General Data Protection Regulations coming into force soon.

I’m afraid that it is much darker than that! Check out this and this campaigns which actually present the other side of the coin; the side which will affect most of us.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#26 2018-03-30 12:07:16

Destry
Website

colak wrote #310463:

I’m afraid that it is much darker than that! Check out this and this campaigns which actually present the other side of the coin; the side which will affect most of us.

I don’t know, Colak. Those links you share each sound like the panicked cries of people with particular agendas.

This from the first article just makes my eyes roll:

If the new EU copyright proposal is passed, we will be living in a new era of censorship. YouTube, Facebook and other file-sharing platforms would be forced to implement new algorithms to check whether the content you upload has any copyrighted elements. Bots would judge what you can share – and what can be shared with you. They would filter out and ban anything that might cause a problem. Any problem. It’s about our freedom to speak. It’s about censorship.

The person clearly doesn’t see the big picture (or does and is trying to manipulate it, more likely). Anyone arguing on behalf of centralized socmed platforms (and make no mistake, he is) is part of the problem, IMO. They need to become unpopular and fall. And I don’t trust anyone who shouts about “freedom of speech”. That’s such a tired chestnut that only people who want to abuse the right still whine about it — racists, misogynists, perverts, whoever whatever.

The second link is more interesting only by the fact it concerns open software. But is every open software good? Is every developer good? No. I’m sorry to say, even in open source there are a lot of snakes. I’m not saying the laws are entirely good — I’m not qualified say, and I think Bowles takes a good stance on that too — but none of this is cut-n-dried. Will these laws be perfect. No. Does anyone have all this shit figured? Haaaaailll no.

But I can say one thing with almost certainty by looking at history. Something needs to change, because most people are getting screwed while big centralized tech, ad companies, and corrupt governments profit. I’m much more concerned about the CLOUD Act than I am about the new EU laws for data privacy. The former is against citizens “rights”, as it were, while the latter is for it.

#27 2018-03-30 13:04:19

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #310466:

I don’t know, Colak. Those links you share each sound like the panicked cries of people with particular agendas.

Hi Destry,

I am afraid that I am speaking because of my experience with DMCA… A few years ago a video we uploaded received a DMCA notice for no reason except that it shared the same title as a blockbuster. The situation was thankfully fairly quickly resolved as our case went viral… Check out the literature we collected here.

Yiannis
——————————

#28 2018-03-30 13:23:28

Destry
Website

colak wrote #310467:

Check out the literature we collected here.

Sorry to hear that, and thankful you got cleared.

Chalk it up to the ‘not perfect’ situation I mentioned. There will always be abrasions with change, sometimes even casualties. These things always adjust as they go, and I think your case shows that while the laws are not always convenient or pleasant, neither are they a complete witch hunt, or may be you wouldn’t have been cleared.

If the casualties are few on the part of citizens, and dealt with fairly, while being severe on the part of ad-tech devils, well… Sacrifices have to be made. ;)

#29 2018-03-30 13:27:41

Destry
Website

I’m not making light of your situation, btw. Hope that was clear. I’m just saying, the scale of this beast is huge, a safety net is not guaranteed. Sometimes a limb is lost to beat the flesh-eating virus.

#30 2018-03-30 17:22:10

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #310461:

get out of centralized platforms as fast as you can. Export your data archives if you want, but make sure to delete data regardless, then delete those accounts.

This is what I’ve been working on for the last months, and now I’m going to double-time it with what remains. When the shit hits the fan, I want as little of me tabulated as possible. It has nothing to do with having anything to hide, but just not being anywhere a gov wants to track. Period.

This calls for a Web post which explains how to export/delete user data and then to delete accounts. which platforms allow for data export and deletion?

…. texted postive

#31 2018-03-30 17:56:10

bici
Website Mastodon

That said, we have a big problem and it isn’t just with Facebook or Cambridge Analytica. Nearly the entire Internet is based on the following trade: You give us intimate personal data, and we give you magical services for free.
This is the original sin, and almost every major website you visit, except Wikipedia, commits it. Yes, dear online Nation reader, there are at least five trackers running on you as you read this

…. texted postive

#32 2018-03-30 18:16:23

colak
Admin

bici wrote #310475:

This calls for a Web post which explains how to export/delete user data and then to delete accounts. which platforms allow for data export and deletion?

Twitter allows for data export and deletion… What happens to the data after the deletion though, I have no idea. RE deleting facebook account, here is a step by step guide.

Yiannis
——————————

#33 2018-03-30 18:19:43

colak
Admin

bici wrote #310476:

except Wikipedia…

Wikipedia stores registered emails and publishes IP addresses. Check out the history of any article… For example, the history of the article on privacy.

Yiannis
——————————

#34 2018-03-30 18:52:14

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #310468:

Sorry to hear that, and thankful you got cleared.

Chalk it up to the ‘not perfect’ situation I mentioned. There will always be abrasions with change, sometimes even casualties. These things always adjust as they go, and I think your case shows that while the laws are not always convenient or pleasant, neither are they a complete witch hunt, or may be you wouldn’t have been cleared.

If the casualties are few on the part of citizens, and dealt with fairly, while being severe on the part of ad-tech devils, well… Sacrifices have to be made. ;)

I am very much a supporter of open web and creative commons as formulated by Larry Lessing. Basically copyright law has become antiquated and irrelevant to the way creative process works. If/when you get some time, check out the documentary RIP: A remix manifesto… Or, for those that they might find 1h 27’ too long, I would just mention that the Happy Birthday song, sung in many countries is still under copyright and no one is actually allowed to sing it in public unless they pay the rights for it…

Because of NeMe we are lucky to be working with some excellent academics, theorists, philosophers and artists so we are very careful abiding to all laws, copyright law included. Some academic publishers today refuse their writers to start a book/text/article with a quote as that infringes copyright – even when the quote is cited properly.

As far as the right to be forgotten it is the only part of the law that I agree with but unfortunately the cloud act, involving the UK and passed in the States a few days ago, is already in contradiction to that one.

Maybe I am into reading the wrong articles… I don’t know… Maybe I am reading into things too much… Sometimes it is the case… Or maybe if people like Snowden, Manning, Wiley etc, are actually telling the truth, we have four moral choices: try to erase all our digital traces; keep on living by ignoring them; try to protect our privacy; try to protest about it.

Maybe because of Cyprus’ recent history, I am very sceptical regarding the passing of such laws in the pretence that they are for the common good.

Yiannis
——————————

#35 2018-03-30 22:20:57

Destry
Website

bici wrote #310475:

That’s actually one article that will be coming at the new blog site, though it will be in relation to my own self-audit process. I won’t be covering every platform, of course, but I’ll have short notes for those platforms I did nix.

But as Colak alludes to, that info is online, and usually provided by the platforms. Though not always easy to find or as facilitated as you would want. For example, killing Evernote, which I did about a year ago now, was a real pain in the butt. Had to hunt hard for a contact email and jump through hoops. Whereas killing Medium was really easy and quick.

#36 2018-04-06 09:46:59

colak
Admin

bici wrote #310475:

I know that this thread is currently inactive but I thought that this news re fb export and deletion belongs here.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer