Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2018-03-27 19:35:46

Bloke
Developer
Website

Re: Situation around plugin (de-)activation in preferences

Try the bleeding edge dev and let me know how you get on. In the Plugins panel I’ve struck out any plugins that are not considered, and omitted them from the Diagnostics panel entirely.

Just remember the caveats in my post above. It can only omit/strike out plugins that it knows for sure are not active based on the settings. If there’s any doubt (i.e the plugin could appear on both admin and public sides) then the plugin is considered ‘active’.

EDIT: I wanted to display the strikethrough only on plugins that had ‘Yes’ (since if a plugin is locally disabled, it doesn’t matter what the global setting is) but since it does an AJAX call to toggle it and that function is used elsewhere (e.g. the Sections panel) I can’t hijack it to toggle the strikethrough. Perhaps if we had a strikeout class or something instead of wrapping the content in <s>...</s> tags that would be better as we could then target whether we act upon the class or not, on a per-panel basis. Maybe that’s something we look into in future.

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-27 19:43:21)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#22 2018-03-29 12:01:08

uli

I’ve currently not enough time to play with it exhaustively, sorry. For the moment, I’ve just looked at it in the demo, one plugin, rss_admin_db_manager.

The current state, i.e. just striking through the “Active” indicator in the Plugins panel, is a little free of unequivocal information on what the strike-through means, when there is no banner, no hover-help etc.

Re Diagnostics I’ve finetuned my initial opinion a little: I’d not remove inactive plugins entirely, cause that withholds information on what may have lead to the user’s complications. I’d find it useful to separate the list of all (installed, usually active) plugins in two groups, one that’s deactivated 100% sure, and one we can’t tell safely, and give these groups an apt caption each.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#23 2018-03-29 13:07:08

Bloke
Developer
Website

uli wrote #310438:

The current state, i.e. just striking through the “Active” indicator in the Plugins panel, is a little free of unequivocal information on what the strike-through means.

True. All extra strings, though. I’m trying to minimize those (he says, having just added some Plugin code that requires more strings, and potentially more changes with the new/create changes).

Re Diagnostics… I’d not remove inactive plugins entirely, cause that withholds information on what may have lead to the user’s complications.

How? If they’re not active (turned off by hand in the Plugins panel or definitely deactivated via the prefs) then they can’t possibly be causing any issues, because they’re not loaded.

The only situation I can think of is that, when asked to post diagnostics, someone turns on/off plugins or tinkers with the prefs first. And if that’s the case, the results may well be different and the problem might go away, leading to them solving the issue themselves. Am I missing a use case?

EDIT: if the cause of the issue is “tag not found” on the public site, then the act of omitting the plugin also leads to the swift resolution!

I’d find it useful to separate the list of all (installed, usually active) plugins in two groups, one that’s deactivated 100% sure, and one we can’t tell safely, and give these groups an apt caption each.

That’s certainly a possibility. Before considering it, I’d like to find if I’ve missed anything with regards the above.

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-29 13:08:41)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#24 2018-03-29 20:35:32

uli

Bloke wrote #310440:

The only situation I can think of is that, when asked to post diagnostics, someone turns on/off plugins or tinkers with the prefs first.

That’s what I meant, for the forgetful, for hasty people, non-techies and other muddlers. People like me.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer