Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 beta 2 released

Should work now.

#14 2018-03-25 10:38:26

gomedia
Plugin Author

Diagnostics error fixed thanks. Also, thank you for restoring public $textarray.

As moaned about before – I don’t get what “Create article” under the Publish button achieves:

And, I really think that having a “Create page” action link on a Create page tab is confusing and potentially destructive (same for form & style):

Type all the code in … think “I need to create the page” … bang … should’ve clicked “Save”. Tears!

#15 2018-03-25 11:48:06

uli

When I load German in the Languages panel (I’ve installed English as first language) and then switch my admin language to German, I see the wrong string, “Sektion default aktualisiert” (= Section default updated). I tried these steps with French, too, but in this quick test it’s only German with that fault. I’ve also tried that in Pete’s demo, the result is the same.

Edit: My fault while translating, obviously, maybe I’ve typed (pasted?) with my elbow. I’ve corrected that and raised an issue on translate.textpattern.io

Last edited by uli (2018-03-25 12:06:03)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#16 2018-03-25 12:16:16

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

etc wrote #310321:

In the case of rvm_css the only language related stuff is a string added on the fly:

A new version was just release that fixes this problem and adds compatibility with TXP 4.7 (incl multi-theme support): see plugin thread

#17 2018-03-25 13:32:09

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

I just copied an existing theme, switched all the sections to use that new theme, and then checked if it was loading the correct themed style sheet, but found that it was still loading the style sheet from the default theme.

It took me a while to find that this is actually a feature. Since I was still logged in, it showed me the page according to the theme of the last thing that I edited. This will no doubt result in questions from users. I would expect this feature to also take into account changing to a different template in the sections tab.

#18 2018-03-25 14:52:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gomedia wrote #310326:

I don’t get what “Create article” under the Publish button achieves… having a “Create page” action link on a Create page tab is confusing and potentially destructive (same for form & style)… Type all the code in … think “I need to create the page” … bang … should’ve clicked “Save”. Tears!

This is definitely a concern I’ve had. Perhaps ‘Create new…’ was clearer, despite its apparently tautological nature. But then, maybe suffers from the same issue. “Yeah, I’m creating a new one, this’ll save it.” Bang, gone!

One thing I’ve been musing is whether these ‘sub-actions’ should be rolled into an ‘actions’ dropdown. Yes it’s one click more to reveal and then act on them, but it’s then clearer that they’re secondary actions. Or maybe they need relocating so they’re definitely secondary actions?

Placement of the Save button below the Pages, Forms and Styles textareas, and the ‘create’ link above them, could certainly be construed as misleading. But without some way to “start afresh” you’re forced into the even less intuitive mechanism of clicking the same tab again to clear the panel.

Better suggestions welcome, even if it misses 4.7.0 and makes it into 4.7.1.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#19 2018-03-25 15:00:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote #310331:

Since I was still logged in, it showed me the page according to the theme of the last thing that I edited.

Yes, your “working theme”. What’s the lesser of two evils?

a) Working in a vacuum and having to guess what the edits of your new theme are going to be, or have to create new sections and duplicate content to them in order to see what’s going to be rendered, or doing edits on a staging site and having to resync the database at launch.

vs.

b) Not seeing the “live” version immediately unless in a private browsing session?

Should there be a notification somewhere to this effect? Near the theme switcher? An extra pophelp topic on each of the Pages, Forms and Styles panels alongside the theme switcher? Dunno. The pophelp on the Themes panel explains it, but who reads that?! :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-25 15:06:21)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#20 2018-03-25 15:13:30

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote #310340:

Yes, your “working theme”. What’s the lesser of two evils?

I think the idea of a “working theme” is good, but perhaps it can be improved a bit. If you switch a section from theme A to theme B, you could have the working theme automatically set to B as well. Think of users who do not edit themes, but simply install a new theme and switch to that. They would expect to see the new theme in effect, without having to log out first.

PS. I had actually read about this feature yesterday, but still was surprised by it and didn’t remember until I started debugging and looked more closely at textpattern/publish.php.

#21 2018-03-25 16:04:17

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote #310331:

I would expect this feature to also take into account changing to a different template in the sections tab.

That’s actually what bothers me, especially with future section-based (?) custom fields. Say, Section A with some custom fields set is associated to cf-specific Theme A. Same thing for Section B and Theme B. Now I’m working on Theme B, so all sections are processed through Theme B templates for me while logged in. But Theme B could be absolutely irrelevant for Section A… am I missing something?

#22 2018-03-25 16:26:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote #310341:

If you switch a section from theme A to theme B, you could have the working theme automatically set to B as well.

That’s a good idea. Whichever one you last assigned to a section could become the working theme. Yes, let’s do that, thanks for the tip.

#23 2018-03-25 16:31:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #310346:

future section-based (?) custom fields.

Hadn’t gone that far. Was leaving that up to plugins, and they can then alter the workflow (including theme interactions) accordingly. Was just planning to make “a place to store stuff against any content, and mechanism to manage it”.

That said…

Say, Section A with some custom fields set is associated to cf-specific Theme A. Same thing for Section B and Theme B. Now I’m working on Theme B, so all sections are processed through Theme B templates for me while logged in. But Theme B could be absolutely irrelevant for Section A… am I missing something?

Mmmm, true. One thing we could do is hide this feature behind a per-user pref on the Sections panel. So if you don’t like ‘preview’, turn it off – even temporarily. At least that gives you the option.

#24 2018-03-25 16:59:53

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #310350:

One thing we could do is hide this feature behind a per-user pref on the Sections panel. So if you don’t like ‘preview’, turn it off – even temporarily. At least that gives you the option.

Dunno, the feature is very handy. We could probably introduce some “ancestor” field for cloned themes, and switch to the “dev” theme only the sections associated with the theme or its ancestor? And if a theme has no ancestor, it applies to every section, as presently. Cumbersome to manage, for sure.

Board footer