Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-03-22 13:49:47

uli

Re: DOM.storage.enabled necessary for several panels

phiw13 wrote #310171:

(my first step when setting up Firefox: disallow third-party cookies)

I’ll test that, too, during the next few weeks, but I seem to remember I’ve had quite some difficulties back when I had that setting chosen. Will have to watch.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#14 2018-03-22 13:52:16

uli

etc wrote #310181:

Cookiebro works quite well and includes a cookie editor, for extra powa.

Part of the problem why I can’t use this one is my old FF 45.9 ESR that I have to use because of my old OS that I can not upgrade because of an old QuarkXPress that I have to keep because XPress can open only files created with that very XPress version. And there are still files to be opened from quite old jobs. Chains, like in slavery times :)))

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#15 2018-03-22 13:57:25

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Freedom to Uli! :-) Well, I wouldn’t carry about Storage more than about Cookies, that’s the point.

#16 2018-03-22 14:31:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

uli wrote #310250:

Part of the problem why I can’t use this one is my old FF 45.9 ESR that I have to use because of my old OS that I can not upgrade because of an old QuarkXPress that I have to keep because XPress can open only files created with that very XPress version. And there are still files to be opened from quite old jobs. Chains, like in slavery times :)))

I keep a mac from 2001 for similar reasons! As much as I enjoyed working on it then, it is a torture every time I have to start it up.

Old system emulators are becoming desperately needed.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#17 2018-03-22 14:53:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #310252:

Old system emulators are becoming desperately needed.

Two words: Virtual Machine ;-)

Or Emaculation.

(I have an Amiga emulator and a Spectrum emulator on my Mac for when I need that 16-bit / 8-bit vibe; mainly to demonstrate to my little boy how games of yesteryear could fit so much into so little space. The OS experiences are pretty ropey by today’s standards, but it saves me the hassle of getting the real machines down from the loft!)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#18 2018-03-22 16:00:23

jakob
Admin
Website

uli wrote #310250:

Just an info should you use InDesign now, Markzware has a plugin that claims to be able to convert Quark files back to v4, which was 20 years ago. Not cheap but also not prohibitively expensive if your old files are valuable.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#19 2018-03-23 09:06:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote #310250:

Part of the problem why I can’t use this one is my old FF 45.9 ESR that I have to use because of my old OS (…)

Ouch… BTW, macOS 10.8?

I don’t have FF 45 ESR at hand and don’t remember exactly the history of the Permissions implementation, but with Firefox 58+, if you press Cmd/Ctrl I you get the Page info window, with a Permissions tab where you have fine-grained control over all matter of cookies and persistent storage (and many more). Those permissions apply for the whole domain.tld, I think.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#20 2018-03-23 16:10:28

uli

jakob wrote #310257:

Just an info should you use InDesign now, Markzware has a plugin that claims to be able to convert Quark files back to v4, which was 20 years ago. Not cheap but also not prohibitively expensive if your old files are valuable.

Thanks, Julian! I’ve found that one one or two years ago and at that time I read (somewhere?) that the plugin might struggle on files created with plugins. That makes its price even a little higher.

#21 2018-03-23 16:17:15

uli

phiw13 wrote #310264:

macOS 10.8?

Yes, exactly.

[…] with Firefox 58+, if you press Cmd/Ctrl I you get the Page info window, with a Permissions tab where you have fine-grained control over all matter of cookies and persistent storage (and many more).

That’s probably what I needed to control local storage persistance, the reason why I generally blocked LS at all. But alas, FF 45 ESR doesn’t display LS information there.

#22 2018-03-23 16:33:49

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote #310281:

Yes, exactly.

That’s probably what I needed to control local storage persistance, the reason why I generally blocked LS at all.

I think that if you generally enable only session cookies, than only non-persistent sessionStorage will be available, save for white-listed sites with persistent cookies allowed. There is no real sense in enabling cookies and disabling storage for a site. Cookies are easier to hijack than storage.

#23 2018-03-23 16:46:15

uli

Post deleted (reverse logic), need a break, sorry.

Board footer