Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 beta released

Renew, refresh, rebuild?

#62 2018-03-16 14:48:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Interesting. Refresh or rebuild have merit. Probably the latter is more accurate.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#63 2018-03-16 14:49:46

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

‘Rebuild’ kind of works for me.

Can we please look at a way of doing web hooks too before 4.7 final? Like oui_flat and rah_flat had? ?

#64 2018-03-16 15:14:08

CodeWalker
Website

Bloke wrote #309993:

Yes, but also potentially rather destructive if the theme is in use! Using the development mode (live/testing/debug) as a toggle switch makes things even more complicated, imo.

I don’t trust computers not to lose stuff. I’m one of these habitual CTRL-S guys. Partway through editing a Page, I’d hit CTRL-S to save the file and might suddenly find my site’s broken because it’s automatically syncing and has now got a part-finished doc structure. I’d far rather the sync is manually triggered.

I’m way ahead of you, I hit save at the end of every paragraph / when I close a tag. My old keyboard actually has no ctrl label or s label because I wore it off :) However, computers are only daft and lose stuff because they are programmed by human beans.

I’m not sure. We want to cater to power users and people who are using it to iterate their designs on live sites, and people who want to import and just try out themes on certain Sections of their site without any impact to their existing site content. So we need to balance this. Right now it’s erring on the ‘casual themer/new user’ territory, with the ability to augment it via plugins for power users.

We could probably do a little more to help smooth the transition from plugin->core themes without impacting the dabblers. Open to suggestions.

My feeling on this is that if your developing a theme, your probably working off localhost. Nobody who likes their sanity intact works off a live server or a staging server. Therfore, destruction and idiocy is ok becuase you’ve taken steps to work off a sandboxed version of your intended site and not the real McCoy? Surely you did that???

Perhaps the answer is a SuperAdmin account that gets some extra settings that can be enabled and only work on a localhost or test tld (.dev, .test, .local etc). Something like a “Get me, i’m themeing” tick box in the preferences pane, and a way to define what your local and staging domains are.

You could borrow an idea from Kirby, which is my other go to CMS. They allow multiple domain config files. A pain for me, traditionally, is migrating from local or staging to production and having to fix paths and settings in the DB on the way over. I usually do this directly in the DB with SqlPro or PHPMyAdmin. Being able to set a config that populates or updates the DB with everything that can be set out of the box in the preferences pane the first time an Admin user logins would be fab, and also opens the door to being able to protect potentially destructive actions on a production site.

Last edited by CodeWalker (2018-03-16 15:15:31)

#65 2018-03-16 15:20:40

CodeWalker
Website

philwareham wrote #310011:

Can we please look at a way of doing web hooks too before 4.7 final? Like oui_flat and rah_flat had? ?

I would definitely kiss someone or send flowers or beer or something if that became a thing.

Last edited by CodeWalker (2018-03-16 15:21:17)

#66 2018-03-16 15:21:11

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

We could probably add an option to fetch themes from the disk for logged users, without overriding the db. That’s less stressing for the db, but requires a final synchronization, once everything is nailed.

#67 2018-03-16 15:30:47

CodeWalker
Website

etc wrote #310014:

We could probably add an option to fetch themes from the disk for logged users, without overriding the db. That’s less stressing for the db, but requires a final synchronization, once everything is nailed.

Yup, that would work. I would suggest only if testing status is enabled also.

#68 2018-03-16 15:38:11

CodeWalker
Website

philwareham wrote #309991:

@CodeWalker – can you raise an issue on GitHub repo to request that, and then we can track and discuss it. Cheers!

Done! Github Issue raised. I do hope i put it in the right place!

#69 2018-03-16 16:24:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

CodeWalker wrote #310012:

Nobody who likes their sanity intact works off a live server or a staging server.

Ah, now this is where our version of themes differs from oui_flat! It’s perfectly possible – I’ve done it – to work like this:

1. Decide you want to iterate your live theme.
  2. Themes -> Duplicate.
  3. Edit new theme Pages/Form/Styles in the DB (or filesystem and sync them periodically).
  4. View site while logged in.

As long as you haven’t done anything too drastic – like rename your Pages / Styles – that will preview your entire site in the new theme with your existing content. Only you can see it while you’re logged in. Nobody else is affected. When you’re happy with the changes, go to Sections panel and reassign your Sections to use the Pages and Styles from your new theme. Job done. Changes are live. That sidesteps…

A pain for me, traditionally, is migrating from local or staging to production and having to fix paths and settings in the DB on the way over.

No need for any duplication, staging servers or anything like that. Your live server is the staging environment all the while you’re logged in and editing a different theme to the one that’s assigned in the Sections panel. You can even set your client up with an account that has suitable privs. As long as they go and switch to the new theme on the admin side first, they’ll preview the new site too and can sign it off, with live data intact. How’s that for rapid prototyping? It’s dreamy I tell ya :-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#70 2018-03-16 16:29:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #310014:

Interesting. Cut out the middle man. Potential confusion abounds, but if it’s possible to do the ‘preview’ direct from disk via a simple pref switch or something (maybe on the Themes panel itself?) then we could explore that as a shortcut, for sure.

#71 2018-03-16 16:43:11

CodeWalker
Website

Bloke wrote #310020:

Ah, now this is where our version of themes differs from oui_flat! It’s perfectly possible – I’ve done it – to work like this:

1. Decide you want to iterate your live theme.
  2. Themes -> Duplicate.
  3. Edit new theme Pages/Form/Styles in the DB (or filesystem and sync them periodically).
  4. View site while logged in.

Your live server is the staging environment all the while you’re logged in and editing a different theme to the one that’s assigned in the Sections panel. You can even set your client up with an account that has suitable privs. As long as they go and switch to the new theme on the admin side first, they’ll preview the new site too and can sign it off, with live data intact. How’s that for rapid prototyping? It’s dreamy I tell ya :-)

Well this is all new and shiny. I confess I haven’t used Textpattern for a while, aside from maintaining a few legacy sites. I think 4.5 was the last version I used in anger. I’m pleased its getting some love and some great new features.

Now if we could just get direct read of the template files from the file system in a future version…. :)

Last edited by CodeWalker (2018-03-16 16:45:27)

#72 2018-03-16 16:46:25

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #310021:

maybe on the Themes panel itself?

Yes, it could be a per theme potentially confusing option switchable via multi-select. Needs time.

Board footer