You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Captcha?

#1 2004-11-17 23:01:54

Irganox
Website

Captcha?

Does anyone know if there is any captch that you can use with textpattern. I really want to stay spamfree. I’m a bit paranoid, I know but I’d appreciate any help with this captch issue…

#2 2004-11-17 23:12:37

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Captcha?

There isn’t anything that I know of but I believe thats because the built in preview helps to prevent spam. I haven’t really heard about anyone having problems.

If you’re really concerned about it you could always turn moderated commenting on so that you’d have to approve each comment before it appeared on your site.

Here’s another post about comment spam.

#3 2004-11-17 23:25:35

Tom Alday
Website

In almost 8 months of use I haven’t gotten a single spam comment, the preview feature pretty much stops them.

#4 2004-11-18 00:02:52

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah. I have yet to get any comment spam either and I’ve been using Textpattern for quite some time now as well. My refer logs on the otherhand..

#5 2004-11-18 00:31:56

gonzo409
Website

Yes, I’ve been using Textpattern since June and no comment spam whatsoever. I’d actually like to know if anyone HAS gotten comment spam!

The preview feature, in all its simplicty, is doing what so many others have tried and still failed to stop with complicated plugins and registration programs. Who’da thunk?

Liberal. Geek.

#6 2004-11-18 01:26:39

Irganox
Website

I haven’t gotten any spams yet either, but I used to do WordPress, and in the end, before I converted to TXP, I got about 150 comment per day. So, I just wanted to be ahead of the spammers, but if it is as you say, that TXP is spam free it’s great. :)

#7 2004-11-19 06:32:04

zem
Developer Emeritus

The preview feature might help, but Textpattern also has a nonce feature that’s designed to thwart automated comment submission.

It’s not as secure as a Captcha, but works well enough – the work required to defeat it is (for now) substantially higher that the payoff from succeeding. And that’s enough.

Alex

#8 2004-11-19 07:04:10

PeterS
Website

I’ve got to agree, actually. I thought for a minute that it may be a good idea, but the comment spammers are usually looking for older posts off the main page of a site, so that the operator of the site won’t notice it as easily. With the built in ability to shut that down completely, TXP is much more powerful than it seems to be.

If anyone has a problem with comment spam, the entire community here would have a solution up in a matter of hours, and we’d be a step ahead of the spammers. Look at MT for a case in point. It took months for MT-Blacklist to come out, and that’s still not foolproof. There’s the MT-CloseComments plugin, but that requires SQL, and that’s a bit beyond the typical MT user.

I think it’s one of those cases where we should cross that bridge when and if we come to it.

But, that’s just my 2¢.

The following is true
The above statement is false.

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Captcha?

Board footer