Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2018-03-07 13:36:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [textile] Textile 2.4 now available.

Destry wrote #309719:

Hmm… Seems to be not all characters, then.

Weird, you’re right.

Works:

notelist(endnotes):୨.
notelist(endnotes):१.
notelist(endnotes):ٷ.
notelist(endnotes):ф.
notelist(endnotes):ʃ.

Doesn’t work:

notelist(endnotes):˦.
notelist(endnotes):^.
notelist(endnotes):°.

Must be a regex thing. Seems to cope better if there’s an obvious “next” character in the sequence. I can understand the ^ and * and + and !not working as they’re reserved symbols for administering the feature. But as for the rest. *shrug*

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#62 2018-03-07 13:40:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@ Destry, arrows and so possibly don’t work because they are not “counting” characters. If I understand the whole system (it has been a while since I looked at it, though), it is based on counting, aka “first backlink” “second backlink”,…

@ Bloke where did you find those Chinese characters? That one you used it not on any list I know.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#63 2018-03-07 13:48:53

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #309721:

arrows and so possibly don’t work because they are not “counting” characters. If I understand the whole system (it has been a while since I looked at it, though), it is based on counting, aka “first backlink” “second backlink”,…

Good thought. Makes sense, conceptually. Though I didn’t realize there was some mechanism in unicode to distinguish glyphs as counting characters.

Looks like we’re back to my original question… how to hack the gibson. Or I’ll just try and settle on a glyph that almost makes sense.

#64 2018-03-07 13:53:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #309721:

where did you find those Chinese characters? That one you used it not on any list I know.

Being a luddite, I Googled “Chinese alphabet” when of course I know there’s no such thing, per se. Surprisingly, I got a hit. So being the curious fellow I am, I used the first link that purported to contain 26 “characters” that roughly represent our lower-case ASCII chars and snagged the first one just to see what Textile would do.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#65 2018-03-07 14:12:53

Destry
Website

This would have been a good one, ⍐, but no such luck. In fact, nothing that symbolizes up or back direction seems to work, unfortunately.

Dagger it is!

#66 2018-03-07 16:46:03

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Slightly OT, but you can run the notelist block through rah_replace if there are no other daggers. Or adapt this to your needs.

#67 2018-03-10 21:20:43

Destry
Website

etc wrote #309727:

Slightly OT, but you can run the notelist block through rah_replace if there are no other daggers. Or adapt this to your needs.

Thanks! I will consider this more over time.

#68 2019-03-25 15:25:12

Destry
Website

For reasons beyond me, daggers started giving me a problem as a back-tick symbol. But not consistently. Sometimes they would work on one article, but another they would turn into those black question mark symbols when a glyph isn’t found… you know what I mean? Double daggers seem to work consistently, but.. meh. Neither is as effective as an arrow would be. And, in any case, daggers are themselves a footnote symbol, so it seems is wrong to use them like this.

But arrows or not, this back-tick symbol business has never really worked for me, and last night I was thinking how much worse it gets when reading on a phone, because the indentation takes up so much left space for two list elements. So I started experimenting with the counter CSS I had, and I’ve managed something I rather like now. You can see see the result

It’s pretty hacky, but I’m using the hard-coded back-tick link element, but:

• prefixing it with a counter
  • adding padding to give more click space (like the inline siblings have)
  • using matching sibling color to hide evidence of the useless backtick glyph (it’s there, but blends with the color-state)

All together I get the benefit of these kinds of Textile footnotes, which I like, but conveniently in one element.

On mobile I position the number above the note item and use full width for the note. This is a much better use of screen, and I like the way this looks. I haven’t done it yet, but I’m going to center the number above each note, respectively for mobile display. Did it. And the rules here reflect the changes.

Only problem I’m having, besides not looking at this in anything but FF, is on hover there’s some extra yellow pushing out on the right sides. I can’t figure out where that’s coming from. It’s not critical, but still odd. Found it. Dumb padding mistake.

In case anyone wants to play and tighten, here’s CSS I have cobbled together for my needs and tastes:

.endnotes ol {
	counter-reset:item;
	margin:0 auto;
	padding:0;
	list-style:none;
}

.endnotes li {
	position:relative;
	display:block;
	line-height:1.2;
	margin-bottom:3em;
	padding:0;
}

.endnotes sup {
	position:absolute;	
	left:39%;
	top:-21px;
}

.endnotes li [id^="note"] {
	position:absolute;
	left:0;
	top:-23px;
}

.endnotes sup a {
	display:block;
	padding:4px 20px 4px 26px;
	color:#e1ddcb;
}

.endnotes sup a:hover {color:yellow;}

.endnotes sup a:before {
	content:counter(item) ".";
	counter-increment:item;
	color:#000;
}

And here’s the part to stick in the media queries:

.endnotes {
margin-top:3em;
margin-bottom:5em;
}

.endnotes li {
margin-bottom:1.3em;
padding-left:2.5em;
}

.endnotes sup {
left:0;
top:4px;
}

.endnotes sup a {padding:4px 0 4px 6px;}

.endnotes li [id^="note"] {top:0;}

Found it. Yellow hover glitch fixed!

Last edited by Destry (2019-03-25 15:49:06)

Board footer