Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-01-20 10:29:58

StillLearner

How to Install new theme for my blog?

Hello Users,

I am very new to textpattern. I want to change front-end theme for my blog and have already downloaded theme for textpattern and copied it to theme folder,
but unable to find setting to change theme.

I am also intrested in custom theme development, where I can get step by step tutorial for the same.

Please help me.

Last edited by StillLearner (2016-01-20 10:31:34)

#2 2018-03-09 12:57:55

Destry
Website

Re: How to Install new theme for my blog?

This sets up an excellent context for explaining how themes work now. I will attempt to cover this in the near future as I get time to focus on it more.

But don’t let that stop anyone else.

An useful elaboration in such a tutorial (but not muddying up the core basis) would be describing a oui_flat setup too.

Ideally there would be one doc on each, I guess.

Or maybe it’s, whether one doc or more:

1. Follow oui_flat instructions (if you want flat)
  2. Create theme the Txp way.
  3. Export/share theme in themes site
  4. Import/use theme from themes site.

An ironed-out process on that scope will help many, I’m sure.

#3 2018-03-09 13:24:39

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Hello StillLearner, welcome to the forum.

Out of curiosity, where have you downloaded a theme from? AFAIK, only the default 4.7 theme adheres to the recent requirements for “automatic” installs.

And here is the “official” theme guide, hope that helps.

#4 2018-03-09 13:31:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

*cough* etc, look at the post date :-) Caught me unawares too.

I think Destry was just making a note that this’d be a good place to highlight links to documentation so that future searches come up with relevant info in a suitable topic.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2018-03-09 13:39:06

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Well… better late than never :-)

#6 2018-03-09 14:40:59

Destry
Website

Heh. Surprise!

Yeah, the question/thread was ahead if its time, but now useful.

Thanks for the reminder about the blog post. It’s insightful background and overview.

And the docs…

…which are WIP, understandably, would be “official” functional reading, probably.

But as Bloke rightly picked up on, all the theory and mechanics can be augmented in these situations with a practical example or case study. And a good excuse to write something.

#7 2018-03-10 08:36:30

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

This is what I find confusing. After updating a dev install of one of our existing sites, the only theme present is the ‘default’ which is authored by Team Textpattern. I understand that this theme refers to the admin side.

Going to the Sections tab, the columns list the default theme (unlinked) and the default page (linked). (Note that I use just the default page for all the sections). In the documentation, there is a heading titled Front-end theme design but I can not see how one can work on that.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#8 2018-03-10 09:04:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #309871:

This is what I find confusing. After updating a dev install of one of our existing sites, the only theme present is the ‘default’ which is authored by Team Textpattern. I understand that this theme refers to the admin side.

It refers to the front-end theme. It is name thus because TXP has to something there (and it fills the fields in the edit panel, both as example and because it has to put something). Go ahead, from the multi-edit widget at the bottom of the table, duplicate it, edit the meta-data (rename it to something to your taste). You can slo export it, edit those file in your favorite editor, etc. Then access the various presentation panels, and start playing. See that select drop down at the top of the side bar on those panels?

Going to the Sections tab, the columns list the default theme (unlinked) and the default page (linked). (Note that I use just the default page for all the sections).

Once you have your second theme, select one of the sections, then check the multi-edit widget, you can assign a different theme to a section. Have fun…

Last edited by phiw13 (2018-03-10 09:05:01)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#9 2018-03-10 13:06:06

Destry
Website

Thanks for bringing that up, Colak. An upgrade will be a common scenario for people and thus need explaining for clarity.

Board footer