Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-03-09 00:00:04

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 beta released

phiw13 wrote #309799:

Actually, those are all links …

Sure, but the query still stands – if the majority of the actions are styled as links with icons, why are some styled as grey buttons?

#26 2018-03-09 00:19:39

gomedia
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote #309801:

… it’s nice to have a dedicated link to start afresh …

It’s not a link – I’m looking at the create new article page, under the Publish button are the words “Create new article”.

#27 2018-03-09 00:24:29

gomedia
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote #309801:

Because on table panels – list pages – the button bar above the table always contains buttons.

Except “List options” is styled as an icon/link!

… having a bunch of buttons would take up too much space …

Yes, I’m warming to the icon/link styling, but either way I still think it should be one or the other.

#28 2018-03-09 00:41:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gomedia wrote #309802:

why are some styled as grey buttons?

I’d actually like to trial the buttons with the icons too, like we do on the Languages panel. But there’s probably a reason Phil added icons to links and not buttons.

Except “List options” is styled as an icon/link!

That’s not part of the button bar, per se (even though it’s on the same line at desktop screen resolutions and some mobile resolutions depending on the number of buttons), but I get your drift.

That link (and the tag builders, for example) show popups, while other similarly-styled links create new things (i.e. do a page refresh). The buttons always do page refreshes / jump to edit steps.

Rule of thumb: ‘table’ panels have buttons, while ‘individual’ panels (edit steps, content, etc) use links+icons. Pages/Forms/Styles are kind of hybrid pages with lists and individual content on one, but they get links because buttons were too distracting and drew your eye away from the page flow too much.

change “Create new” to “Create new article”

It takes up too much space with the extra word. As I mentioned, I’m all for shortening the others if it doesn’t impact usability.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#29 2018-03-09 01:03:40

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

dotism wrote #309767:

I seem to be having a lot of difficulty figuring out the new theme mechanics.

Does this explanation help at all?

Is it possible to maintain a oui_flat-like workflow with the new system?

That depends how much of oui_flat you used. If you used it to bring in Sections and Prefs and plugins as well as Pages, Forms and Stylesheets, then no. Core’s themes currently only target the latter three structural elements.

But plugins can easily add the missing pieces and help you work in whatever way you prefer. In fact, they can go a fair bit further because we’ve added import ability for content such as articles, prefs, links, categories, sections, even users. It’s all available under the hood, just not part of “a theme” because the remainder of the database structure isn’t geared up for it (yet), and it would potentially destroy content.

The other main thing you’ll notice is that themes don’t automatically update when you change stuff on disk. Disk and database are separate entities, and the DB is the master thing to which your site operates. Thus there’s no automatic sync (primarily because it’s destructive). So if you’re working on disk, you’ll need to import the theme to the DB before it appears on your site.

A webhook mechanism is being considered so you can trigger it more easily, but we haven’t figured out the details.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#30 2018-03-09 02:05:13

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I updated one site (actually, its mirror running on localhost – 2weeks old SQL dump).

1. log in to the site, verify that all is OK – diagnostics, languages up to date, ….
  2. log out
  3. put TXP 4.7 beta files in place
  4. login again – when asked to (force) reload, doing so (cached js).

Smooth! All installed languages have been updated correctly (note to Stef/@ Bloke: I had added ar-dz, just for testing… updated to ar).

Ok – “smooth”, a few plugins will have issues (glz_custom_fields), some have a more up-to-date for 4.7 version available on their Github repos (smd_), but that is OK, as in expected.

~~~
One note on the text for the dialog that asks to “shift reload” the page. The text could use some amends: “shift reload” is a bit too geeky and not all browsers use that keyboard combo (for Safari, Opera, Chrome on macOS it is option-command R, iOS users do not have any option to force reload).

The text would better phrased as “force reload the page or clear your browser caches”

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#31 2018-03-09 08:27:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Updated a dev site to test 4.7. In the diagnostics I get Missing files: /config-dist.php

More to come

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#32 2018-03-09 08:36:07

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

towndock wrote #309742:

What are the relative speed differences between 4.5.7 & 4.6.2 & 4.7?

Since 4.6 the code is more object-oriented, which tends to slow things down. But on the other hand, we have optimized the parser, so:

• 4.5 is faster on “empty” pages, but you’ll hardly see the difference between, say, 0.05s and 0.07s;
  • 4.6 is ~15% faster on pages with many tags or loops. 4.7 is a bit slower than 4.6 because of new features, but still 10% faster than 4.5 in this case.

For an average site there should be no noticeable speed difference.

#33 2018-03-09 08:40:35

Destry
Website

Gomedia wrote:

Change “Create new” to “Create new article”

Bloke wrote:

It takes up too much space with the extra word. As I mentioned, I’m all for shortening the others if it doesn’t impact usability.

Sorry to jump in here.

When I first read Adi’s notes, I thought he meant the redundancy was “Create new”, because it is redundant. You need “article” because that’s what the thing is, the noun. You need “create” because that’s the action to take, the verb. But you don’t need “new,” the needless adjective, because its redundant to the fact one is creating something for the first time (thus new). So the shortened string could be “Create article” and it would be orthographically correct.

Says the editor.

Probably helps translators too.

#34 2018-03-09 08:56:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #309819:

Updated a dev site to test 4.7. In the diagnostics I get Missing files: /config-dist.php

Yup, I see the same thing. Probably an overzealous checksums generating script.

#35 2018-03-09 09:28:31

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #309827:

Yup, I see the same thing. Probably an overzealous checksums generating script.

That has been fixed this morning, thanks. As has some texts to make ‘Create new…’ consistent as discussed earlier in this thread. I’ve also rephrased the ‘force-refresh cache’ message as mentioned by Philippe.

On the subject of primary, secondary and tertiary action buttons. They are based on what I feel the priority of the action is, and I’ve already tried various button combinations in the past before settling on this schema.

Therefore primary actions (such as ‘Save’) use the yellow highlighted buttons, secondary actions (such as ‘Create new…’ on list pages) use greyed buttons, tertiary actions (such as ‘Create new…’ when on a writing page) use link with icon.

I’m also not too keen on peppering the buttons with icons too – the only reason I’ve done that on languages panel is to aid users in the event of them seeing the panel in a language they don’t understand.

#36 2018-03-09 09:33:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #309829:

That has been fixed this morning, thanks. As has some texts to make ‘Create new…’ consistent as discussed earlier in this thread. I’ve also rephrased the ‘force-refresh cache’ message as mentioned by Philippe.

Not sure about “create new author` personally, but OK. Thank you for improving the “force refresh” dialog.

I’m also not too keen on peppering the buttons with icons too – the only reason I’ve done that on languages panel is to aid users in the event of them seeing the panel in a language they don’t understand.

+1 on that. There are already quite a lot of icons. adding more would make the whole thing really cluttered.

Board footer