Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-03-05 01:12:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A/B comparisons

Has anyone dived into doing split testing on a client site and linked it to AdWords so someone can analyse which version of a site converts better?

I can’t think of a neat way of serving different content in each Section in Txp, short of making a conditional decision as part of a preamble Form included on every Page. Maybe that checks a session var and, if not set, randomly picks a value from a known set, and stores it in the session. Then each Page would have to switch on that value and load the appropriate CSS/Page components. Maybe a structured naming convention would work here?

I considered assigning the same Page to all Sections and using that as a ‘bootstrap’ which then diverts to different Forms based on the session value, but I’d lose the ability to assign different Pages to Sections and have Txp handle those natively.

With my 4.7+ hat on, I’m thinking this’d be an interesting use of Themes if a plugin could somehow switch theme based on a session var instead of using the Page/Style assigned to the Section. Two completely separate looks and feels sharing content… sounds perfect. But we can only assign one set of assets to each Section.

Could something like that be done? Do we need any additional callbacks in 4.7 before final drop to achieve that? Or can a plugin do it already with some clever hacking in the pretext callback? Any better ways to achieve this?

Alongside that, if anyone has any pointers on how to inform AdWords (in a meaningful manner) of which version of the site has been rendered to a visitor, that’d be appreciated. I’m out of my depth there, but presumably you pass some kind of URL var along for the ride that indicates A or B (or C, D, …) has been served?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Last edited by Bloke (2018-03-05 01:15:24)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#2 2018-03-05 17:25:56

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: A/B comparisons

Hi Stef,

You already know that this is well beyond what I can do with txp. I am just commenting here to bump the thread as someone might be able to help.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2018-03-05 17:35:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: A/B comparisons

I seem to vaguely remember bringing it up years ago. I’d have thought that someone out there would have a client who wanted to do split testing and might be able to offer some advice, but maybe I’ll have to forge my own path and learn through trial and (plenty of) error!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer