Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2018-01-29 15:13:33

Summer

Article editors can join WYSIWYG?

No editor of the article, many new people will be daunting. Please official consideration of this issue.

#2 2018-01-29 23:16:19

uli

Re: Article editors can join WYSIWYG?

Hi Summer, and welcome to the forum!

In case you agree to add the desired functionality to Textpattern via plugin: On this page there are three free plugins you can use for your tasks: CLEditor, CKEditor, and TinyMCE. Have fun!

In case this is just an attempt of making the devs aware of this issue: It has been raised and considered already. And will hopefully make its way into core.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#3 2018-01-31 20:02:17

jpdupont

I know this may not be the time to request a new feature, but I mention it when I’m concerned about the problem.

I am convinced of the interest of a tool like Textile. However, after a few days of training with the writers of three sites, there is a request for a wysiwig editor. I know there are plugins to integrate these tools.

On the other hand :

• What was interesting to me would be to allow articles to be edited case by case by textile or by a wysiwig editor, leaving writers to choose how they compose their texts.
  • An official wysiwyg editor, supported in the core would be great …

#4 2018-01-31 20:43:24

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #308602:

Anyway, I’m looking at ProseMirror now. I think it’s a great fit and certainly to test the waters could be made into a plugin. It supports Markdown and just needs someone to write a Textile schema for it. If only I could figure out, exactly, what the bare minimum parts of the ProseMirror library that needs to be bundled out of the 500 sprawling repos of code floating around on GitHub. Might be able to make a start on it if I had that info. – what is Redactor

#5 2018-01-31 20:56:15

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

As Michaelkpate says, ProseMirror is my favoured area of exploration right now. It has the perfect balance of WYSIWYM (where M=“Mean”) and functionality. You can switch between markup and editor at will. It’s extensible. It’s open source.

It just doesn’t have a Textile engine yet. If I had time, I’d write one. Hell, I’d write a Textup engine for it, even though the language doesn’t exist yet :-)

I’m convinced that a core-sanctioned ProseMirror plugin / module (makss has started work on this ability in 4.7) will slot in nicely… one day.

Last edited by Bloke (2018-01-31 20:56:44)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2018-02-15 19:56:42

jpdupont

Bloke wrote #309015:

As Michaelkpate says, ProseMirror is my favoured area of exploration right now. It has the perfect balance of WYSIWYM (where M=“Mean”) and functionality. You can switch between markup and editor at will. It’s extensible. It’s open source.

What about this : Toast UI Editor

#7 2018-02-15 22:32:42

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jpdupont wrote #309230:

What about this : Toast UI Editor

Interesting, thanks for the link. The available extensions seem to be for adding support for additional ways to markup content (e.g. charts, which are actually pretty cool). Based on the examples, I can’t see an obvious way to tell the loader to use a different markup system entirely: it’s always ‘markdown’.

Ultimately, it’s the same problem as ProseMirror: someone needs to sit down and translate Textile (or Textup!) into one of these systems so we can use it in Txp. It’s simply(!) a case of mapping the syntax of Textile/Textup to the nomenclature of the chosen system. Which requires someone to grok the APIs and figure out how to build it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#8 2018-03-14 16:32:48

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

This might be something to consider: Pell

#9 2018-03-14 16:58:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

philwareham wrote #309942:

This might be something to consider: Pell

Interestingly it only has h1 and h2 but looking at the js file I guess it would be very easy to add the rest.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#10 2018-03-14 17:24:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I like the size of Pell! It appeals to my not-the-kitchen-sink and bloat-free outlook. If it’s easy to work with and extend, as colak says, to add support for tags that Textile or Markdown (or whatever) can output, then it’s worth considering. It just seems to tap into the JS native execCommand() feature, which means it’s probably fairly extensible.

#11 2018-04-12 22:26:44

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

The New York Times is a building a new text editor for the newspaper and basing it on ProseMirror.

After much research and months of prototyping, we opted to build it on the foundation of ProseMirror, a robust open-source JavaScript toolkit for building rich-text editors. ProseMirror takes a completely different approach than our old text editor did, representing the document using its own non-HTML tree-shaped data structure that describes the structure of the text in terms of paragraphs, headings, lists, links and more. – Building a Text Editor for a Digital-First Newsroom

#12 2018-05-31 10:50:21

Summer

I’m testing tinymce(4.7+) as the default editor, which works fine, but there is a configuration error in using the local upload image in the editor.

Board footer