Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2018-01-27 07:44:50

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Toast to Dean

philwareham wrote #308934:

Twitter and Joyent parted ways 10 years ago didn’t they?

I don’t follow these things but you are absolutely right. I guess that they are self hosted now.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#74 2018-02-06 09:57:16

Destry
Website

jfp wrote #308742:

RIP Dean Allen … http://porchez.com/article/761/dean-allen-a-genius-of-the-internet
https://twitter.com/jfporchez/status/954300032106233857

Hi JFP! Thanks for that link, and the useful mention on Dean’s travel timeline with regard to the typography conference.

And that TXP article on you still looks and reads good! ;)

#75 2018-02-06 11:27:43

Destry
Website

bici wrote #308738:

Hope for the Future & Everything Is Going To Be Alright:

Dean posed for this photo on a roof top in the Chinatown district of Vancouver.

At first I thought that might be in the West End on Robson St., where Dean had a roof-top apartment “with a garden in the back”. But I notice the white tops of the Canada Place in the background there between the buildings. For a lateral view like that of the Canada Place, he would indeed have to be more in the East End. So Chinatown is probably correct. ;) But that neon looks very dubious. Real? Photoshopped?

Can you give a source of the photo?

There are a few good photos of Dean floating around, but they’re all dubiously credited and dated, or not at all. Grrr…

What about the one on Dean’s Twitter profile… Anyone have a rough date for that? Even just a year would suffice. The location is obviously Seattle. I lived right across the street from there. ;)

#76 2018-02-06 11:51:12

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #309106:

At first I thought that might be in the West End on Robson St., where Dean had a roof-top apartment “with a garden in the back”. But I notice the white tops of the Canada Place in the background there between the buildings. For a lateral view like that of the Canada Place, he would indeed have to be more in the East End. So Chinatown is probably correct. ;) But that neon looks very dubious. Real? Photoshopped?

Can you give a source of the photo?

The photo was taken by Matt Mullenweg (the wordpress creator). I don’t think it is photoshopped. The pixels look OK

Yiannis
——————————

#77 2018-02-06 12:03:17

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #309106:

There are a few good photos of Dean floating around, but they’re all dubiously credited and dated, or not at all. Grrr…

The photos we used on the Textpattern blog article were all willingly supplied by their original owners and credit given (including Matt’s photo).

#78 2018-02-06 12:18:49

Destry
Website

Thanks both.

So looking at the map again, Robson St. runs all the way to the BC Place stadium, which is about the divide of West and East sides of downtown, and from that lower end of Robson the angle of the Canada Place would still be possible. So, theoretically, this could still be Dean’s infamous rooftop apartment on Robson St.

This would mean the photo is from 2001 or earlier, before he moved to France, and Mullenweg was visiting back in the day.

And apparently the joke was on me about his Cardigan Industries address: 125a – 130 Denman, which is actually the Denman Mall, and the tall building in the old Cardigan Industries logo/“letterhead” was likely representing the The Coast Plaza Hotel right behind it. lol Good one Dean!

Anyway, Dean said he lived in the “West End” for 17 years. Calculate that back from when he moved to France and he was there somewhere in the West End from 1984 to 2001. What I’m trying to figure out is if he lived in the Robson St. “apartment” the whole time, which was really just the top floor of a building made livable in a non-residential zone. No one was supposed to be living there. He had unheard of cheap rent under the table, so I wouldn’t be surprised he’d keep something like that a long time if he could. This would also explain giving a false public address for Cardigan, heh.

Obviously I’m working on a thing.

#79 2018-02-06 13:47:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #309114:

Dean said he lived in the “West End” for 17 years.

Long shot: did he live in London for any period of time? London has an infamous (to the English) West End. Apologies if I’m way off base.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#80 2018-02-06 15:30:34

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #309114:

Obviously I’m working on a thing.

I’m genuinely looking forward to poring over this.

#81 2018-02-06 15:33:25

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

PS: I really like Everything Is Going To Be Alright for an upcoming default article category, by the way.

#82 2018-02-06 15:33:57

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #309120:

I’m genuinely looking forward to poring over this.

+1

Yiannis
——————————

#83 2018-02-06 17:46:37

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #309117:

Long shot: did he live in London for any period of time?

He seemed to have a lot of dealings in London after his move to France, for reasons I’m still curious about. I think maybe the beginnings of TxD was a server center there? Don’t know about the recent end though.

But as far as the context goes that I was mentioning, he specifically referred to Vancouver, where he learned about, executed, and prevailed to infamy his book and typography design accomplishments.

gaekwad, colak…

Hope I don’t disappoint.

#84 2018-02-06 19:30:23

bici
Website Mastodon

Bloke wrote #309117:

Long shot: did he live in London for any period of time? London has an infamous (to the English) West End. Apologies if I’m way off base.

no it was the West End of Vancouver. In fact al the servers of TextDrive were named after the streets of his old neighbourhood. Penderell , Davie , Nelson , etc.

…. texted postive

Board footer