Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-01-26 11:15:58

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Long-form blogging syndication technologies for 2018

I’d still like to investigate GraphQL as a replacement for XML-RPC in Textpattern 4.8 (if we go to PHP5.5 we can make use of this library too).

#14 2018-01-26 11:20:25

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #308907:

I’d still like to investigate GraphQL as a replacement for XML-RPC in Textpattern 4.8 (if we go to PHP5.5 we can make use of this library too).

Realistically, working on 4.7 being release in spring, and 18 months between major versions, that takes us to autumn/fall 2019, by which time PHP5.5 will have been EOL’d for about 3 years, so it’s probably safe to make that leap. PHP5.4 will have been EOL’d for about 4 years by that time.

#15 2018-01-26 11:20:39

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #308893:

I’ve heard of Pollen but forgot about it until you just reminded me.

Although Pollen’s targeted at ePub and digital books, could one of those audiences be the people who want to publish / consume syndicated content as a subset of the full article? I think so…

Yes, this is a point I wanted to add to the wall, and which I’ve considered with my big(ger) project. I can go with a full ePub, perhaps at cost, and break out a few short extracts, maybe even adjust them a little, as blog posts, which also double as content marketing for the ePub. So it goes.

#16 2018-01-26 11:33:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #308906:

Textpattern is not far from it, you can output articles in any damn format you like with rah_external output. And even without in 4.7, though that’s a secret Easter egg.

Absolutely! That and a couple of wrapper plugins is what I’m using for my fledgling doc publishing system.

Reading most content in if it’s formatted in XML is another Easter egg. Best get this out before Easter ;-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2018-01-26 11:36:08

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

etc wrote #308906:

Textpattern is not far from it, you can output articles in any damn format you like with rah_external output. And even without in 4.7, though that’s a secret Easter egg.

So secret, in fact, that I’m ROT13-ing the documentation for <txp:nal_qnza_sbezng_rnfgre_rtt />.

#18 2018-01-26 11:41:23

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #308916:

So secret, in fact, that I’m ROT13-ing the documentation for <txp:nal_qnza_sbezng_rnfgre_rtt />.

Nope, it’s called <etc::easter_eggs />

#19 2018-01-26 11:55:03

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #308893:

I’ve downloaded Scrivener but haven’t played with it yet. Seems more suited for creative writing and screenplays (which is good for me anyway) but the fact you can shuffle topics around as index cards and have everything auto renumbered might be a boon.

Yes, Scriv is popular with fiction writers, and created by those people too, so you get the impression of that from the vocabulary, etc. But I’ve found it’s just as good for non-fiction too, whether a historical review (what I’m working on) or tech manual. And as you’ve noted, the ability to partition content into as small of sections as you want is great. Along with the corresponding outline view. Then when ready, you can compile the whole works together as a single “book”, or whatever, and clean up the export in a word-processor of choice. Scriv isn’t really meant to be the tech-handler, only the words and the organization of thoughts. It’s fantastic for that. But it does have the rich-text formatting that transfers easily to the processor.

Btw, there’s a Linux competitor too, that’s free, Manuskript. It’s under active dev, and looks like it will give Scriv a run for it’s money. I will be switching to that when I get my Librem 13 and my Mac gives up the ghost. You can put that on Mac too, but it really seems suited for a linux enviro. I’ve paid for Scriv in any case, so I won’t bother on Mac.

Frustrated by the lack of usable DITA-ish software out there that I could afford, I also started writing my own doc publishing system in Txp, btw. Got quite far, not finished yet.

Just remembered… An acquaintance works on this DITA Open Toolkit, maybe there’s something for you there.

#20 2018-01-26 12:09:17

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #308919:

An acquaintance works on this DITA Open Toolkit, maybe there’s something for you there.

Yeah, tried that. Much better rolling your own than battling the humungous GUI programs out there (Madcap Flare, Oxygen, Componize… can’t justify Framemaker) because I could control things better. The trick will be to feed the output of Txp in a format that DITA OT can read, or vice versa.

We have most of the tools available now (rah_beacon(ish) in core, XML reading of article content, …). Just need to figure out image and file handling in XML structures and it might be a winner.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#21 2018-01-26 22:09:17

Destry
Website

Timely and insightful blog post on the state of RSS and how behemoths like Google ruin everything good.

How to read the internet

#22 2018-01-26 23:05:07

bici
Website Mastodon

History of RSS 2.0 and Dave Winer . Another web pioneer

…. texted postive

#23 2018-01-26 23:47:31

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

The Web has lost its spirit. The Web is no longer a distributed Web. It is, ironically, a couple of big tubes that belong to a handful of companies. Mainly Google (search), Facebook (social) and Amazon (e-commerce). There is an impressive Chinese line and there are some local players in Russia, Japan, here and there. Overall it has become monotonous and dull. What can we do? – WEB TREND MAP 2018

I am fairly sure I quoted from this before.

What’s at stake here? In a word, permission. People should not need permission to speak, to assemble, to innovate, to be private, and more. But when governments and corporations control choke points, they also control whether average people can participate fully in society, politics, commerce, and more. – How To Break Open The Web BY DAN GILLMOR AND KEVIN MARKS

I will admit that I used to think these arguments were fairly alarmist. But just yesterday, one of the YouTubers I follow got suspended from Twitter because of something she posted in frustration when the platform refused to deal with someone impersonating her.

I GOT SUSPENDED FROM TWITTER!!!! | Tide Pods are VERY serious, ok?

I think 2018 could be a big year for the web becoming distributed again.

Board footer