Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2017-09-06 19:01:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: What's your "must have" plugin?

GugUser wrote #306885:

Oh, so the “minify function” was the point.

Yes and No:) There were a number of points

1. The ability to edit the css in the db as we are doing currently
  2. The ability to save that css as a file in the same way as rvm_css does
  3. The ability to minify the css but only in the saved file and not in the db
  4. All of the above, but for js (think spf_js +)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#26 2017-09-07 07:51:16

Iki

What does the “minify” function do?

What’s the upside/downside to storing them in the db as opposed to just linking to the .css file in the web directory?

“Some days, even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” — Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

#27 2017-09-07 08:16:17

jakob
Admin
Website

Iki wrote #306889:

What’s the upside/downside to storing them in the db as opposed to just linking to the .css file in the web directory?

I think your original ‘favourite plugins’ question got a little sidetracked by the discussion on files versus databases.

Without meaning to tread on anyone’s toes, this is a relatively minor technical aspect and often a matter of preference. The loading speed / caching aspect can make a difference, especially for very large css files, but it is a speed optimisation aspect and not crucial to textpattern:

• Storing in the database means you can access the stylesheet via the Presentation » Styles panel in the admin area using a web browser and can, therefore, edit it online from anywhere.
  • Storing it as a file means you can edit it with your favourite code editor with all the extra benefits that brings. And you can also make CSS part of your web development repository using a versioning system (e.g. git or subversion etc.) if you use that. You can also generate it using an SCSS / SASS / LESS preprocessor and run it through a minifier. Generally speaking, you can’t edit it online without your computer.

Plugins such as rvm_css and spf_js allow you to edit in Textpattern’s admin area and save the results as a file that you can serve with a tag. They can also be combined with minification. This method doesn’t play well if you are managing your CSS/js in a versioning system.

What does the “minify” function do?

Minifying crunches the CSS or javascript down to minimum size to reduce loading time. The minified files are no longer human-readable. Typically you develop using CSS and manually or automatically minify the final file for uploading to the server.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#28 2017-09-07 08:31:49

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Vienuolis wrote #306879:

No, plain URL only. Maybe a file (or image, article) ID instead, if internal. Or sometimes even a code snippet also, if secured.

I’m not sure how (and why) it would fit the current Image tab. Why would you like to mix images, files and articles ids in txp_image table? What you need looks more like a Link for me, but, fwiw, custom image fields are planned in 4.9 (possibly even 4.8).

#29 2017-09-14 17:57:12

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

etc wrote #306891:

custom image fields are planned in 4.9 (possibly even 4.8).

Good news, thank you very much! Will this apply an article_image, too?

#30 2017-09-14 19:29:41

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Vienuolis wrote #307005:

Good news, thank you very much! Will this apply an article_image, too?

It’s difficult to answer right now, but I hope the wait will not be too long.

#31 2018-01-15 16:47:16

JimJoe
Website

My must have plugin is: rss_unlimited_categories Just two categories wont work for all of my sites.

#32 2018-01-17 08:58:55

Algaris

The two category limit is something I’ve been banging my head against ever since I started using Textpattern over 10 years ago.

I’d love to see unlimited categories in the core sometime in the future. I realise the Devs are very busy people though, so I’m just grateful and happy to see all of the hard work they’re putting into theme support for the upcoming release.

Last edited by Algaris (2018-01-18 11:11:57)

#33 2018-01-17 09:48:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Algaris wrote #308702:

I’d love to see unlimited categories in the core sometime in the future. I realise the Devs are very busy people though…

Please open an issue to track this – no issue exists for this topic right now, so as long as it’s on the list it can be considered in future. Thanks!

(makes sense that this is considered whilst we are also planning unlimited custom fields IMO)

#34 2018-01-17 15:15:58

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Are not you gearing the categories instead of keywords? Hierarchical tree-structure taxonomy (categories, classes, like in UDK) should remain clearly separated from folksonomy, subject indexing by free parallel keywords (tags), IMHO.

#35 2018-01-17 15:43:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Vienuolis wrote #308706:

Are not you gearing the categories instead of keywords?

Not to derail this thread but my views on categories vs tag taxonomies are well-publicised elsewhere.

Categories are strict and pre-defined and restrictive. Tags (keywords) are classically free-form and unwieldy over time. Somewhere in the middle (albeit over-complicated) is smd_tags. I’d like Textpattern’s categories to be a mashup of categories and structured tagging, with some decent conventions thrown in to make it far (far!) simpler than smd_tags to manage.

We should discuss the finer details in a separate thread in earnest after 4.7.0 is out (but feel free to start the ball rolling now of course after taking a look around for prior mentions of the topic in the forum).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#36 2018-01-22 15:23:41

Algaris

Algaris wrote #308702:

I’d love to see unlimited categories in the core sometime in the future. I realise the Devs are very busy people though…

philwareham wrote #308703:

Please open an issue to track this – no issue exists for this topic right now, so as long as it’s on the list it can be considered in future. Thanks!

(makes sense that this is considered whilst we are also planning unlimited custom fields IMO)

I’ve submitted an issue for for adding unlimited categories to the core. Hopefully I done it correctly as I’ve never done this before.

Last edited by Algaris (2018-01-22 15:28:52)

Board footer