Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-12-08 20:22:51

Chris H
Website

I'd like to create an Editor for Textpattern

Hi all,
I built an Editor about a year ago, and I’m tweaking/adapting it for my local install of Textpattern.
In it’s current incarnation, it translates Textile, and Markdown. Tho I think I also might to add
BBtext. Anyway, I was wondering if this is something that might be interesting to add to the
core of Textpattern?

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

—Chris

OH! P.S. I’ll have something to post (attach) here fairly shortly. :-)

#2 2017-12-08 21:00:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: I'd like to create an Editor for Textpattern

Awesome news. I’ve been looking into ProseMirror recently with a view to building a plugin for a text editor that’s less intrusive than a lot of others I’ve tried. Plus it lets you seamlessly switch between editing in markup language or WYSIWYM.

The biggest challenge is it doesn’t have a Textile filter, or a Markdown filter or even a filter for my not-yet-written-but-it-would-be-awesome own markup language Textup :-)

I never say never for this kind of thing, but editors tend to work better if they’re plugins because people have very different views of what they want out of an editor. Plus faster development cycles than core.

I see Textpattern itself as a lightweight, nimble platform on which to build cool stuff, so we’re tending to deliberately keep things minimal (old baggage notwithstanding that we’re gradually shedding). We do enough to satisfy the 80-20 pareto and put enough hooks in to allow advanced users to push the system in places we can’t or won’t. We have pluggable Textfilters and probably could support Markdown out of the box (I tried it earlier in the year and failed at the 95% hurdle, but there is a plugin for it).

With all that said, if you have anything to share, we’d love to see it. It often inspires other ideas that make their way into core or plugins.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2017-12-09 00:52:52

Chris H
Website

Hello Bloke, and thanks for the thoughtful reply!

As it sits now, you’ll be happy to know it too provides RAW-v-FORMATTED output.
It “swipes” right-to-left, with a click. Exposing the formatted “preview” of the markup you’re working on during compose. I have also designed a simple toolbar (optional) that simply offers: bold/italic/code/quote. Tho I have also considered H1-6, I haven’t felt that compelled to add it. :-)

Anyway. I’ll finish it up, and post a copy, or link for you (and others) to test drive. I think that’s probably the best way to manage things. :-)

I should have something “test ready” this weekend.

Thanks, again!

—Chris

#4 2017-12-09 08:59:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Sounds ace. Looking forward to giving it a spin, thank you very much.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2017-12-09 11:32:35

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Chris,
I work on a similar project for my personal needs.
My project is available on github
and I made a call to beta testers some time ago on this forum.

If our projects are similar, perhaps we can combine our efforts?

Last edited by sacripant (2017-12-09 11:33:01)

Board footer