Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-10-25 11:46:38

Destry
Website

Death to social media!

This is the year I kill my personal Twatter account. And I’m pretty sure my ClinkedIn account won’t be safe from the axe either.

WHO’S WITH ME?!

#2 2017-10-25 16:01:35

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Death to social media!

…. texted postive

#3 2017-10-25 16:05:30

bici
Website Mastodon

p.s. none of my social accounts are under my name. The only one is ClinkedIn which I am about to delete. Facebook was killed years ago. it took three months to completely kill that account! FRIGGIN FARCEBOOK .

…. texted postive

#4 2017-10-25 16:07:30

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

75 followers and not one word uttered on Twitter :-)

ClinkedIn is useless. Fed up with being asked to endorse people for skills I barely know anything about, let alone if they can actually do it. Or asked if I know someone I don’t. Or hounded by blanket InMails by recruitment consultants. Haven’t logged in for yonks.

I log into Facebork once every six months or so to post something banal, scan through the whiney posts and then remember why I haven’t been on it for six months. Log out.

So I’m pretty much ahead of the curve then!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2017-10-25 16:12:01

bici
Website Mastodon

phrase of the month : “Haven’t logged in for yonks

…. texted postive

#6 2017-10-25 18:03:29

Destry
Website

My subject’s a little cheeky, of course. But, yeah, we all have our various accounts and situations for choosing and losing them.

I’m actually in the process of a self-audit of my online footprint, including the software and hardware I use. There’s a number of steps to it with no real finish date. Rather I’m working on a basis of milestones. But my goal is up to 60% erasure of my trace, if possible, which I think is possible by cutting out the socmed rot, and be smarter about my digital usage; reduce it to fewer places. It may still spread, but as long as I’m in better control of the source, that’s what counts.

It may take some time and determined effort, but I’ll keep at. Again, no hard lines of measurement or zealotry, but if I can eliminate the centralized, capitalism-driven surveillance from my digital existence, I’ll be a lot happier.

I’ve dropped several web services so far and have a few more biggies to go. Next up is G+, ASAP! (Goog products in general, in phases.) The hard one to get rid of for me will be Amazon and the like because I rely on a lot of mail order action as a foreigner and family man.

A Purism Librem 13 is likely my next computer instead of another Mac. Costs about the same though, but I’m not buying some Lenovo or Dell shell. I’ll keep an eye on their Librem 5 phone progress too, which should be available in 2019. Seems they might actually have a chance of giving people a new option against the monopolistic offerings. I’ll always have to have a little iCloud connection because of the family devices, but it’s not going to be an Apple-only affair anymore. I’m embracing Linux. It’s a new world for me, but overdue.

The last 18 months have been an eye-opener, and I was starting to burn out on the digital rat race anyway. We just moved this summer and will probably move again next summer (sigh), but that should be it for a while if not forever (for this old man). I’m seriously thinking about setting up a workshop and making better use of my humble woodworking skills, with writing on the side. Diversify for health and happiness.

Board footer