Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-09-07 15:53:55

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

[seeking beta tester] tom_write_editor: a editor for geek writers

Hello Txp community,

I just release a new plugin in beta for test.

Tom_write_editor is a big evolution of my Distraction free writing environment for Textpattern solution.

I seek beta testers, because it’s a big JS plugin, and I’ve tested only on Firefox, Chromium and Txp 4.6.2.

If, when you write a article, you insert some html/txp tags, images in body field and you want a easy solution for that with a live preview of your article, this plugin is for you.

#2 2017-09-08 09:46:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [seeking beta tester] tom_write_editor: a editor for geek writers

Woooah, that’s a radical change. Almost doubles the size of my Textpattern installation!

Some notes:

• Love the way you can drag and drop articles, images, files and links in from the side panel. Also love that it knows what ‘type’ of content you want to link by where you grab. e.g. if you grab the article title it adds its URL in your body where you drop. If you grab its id, it renders a permlink tag instead. Very neat.
  • CTRL-S very handy (note: in 4.7.0 this has tentatively just been added as a core feature).
  • Preview mode is great.
  • One small niggle. If I set the side pane width to, say 1/3, and then use the final box to close it, if I then open any side panel again by clicking article, image, file, etc, it opens out to the 1/2 size again. It’d be nice (if possible) to open out to the ‘last used’ panel width. Or to set a default panel width (didn’t see an option in the prefs but might have missed it).
  • I’m not sure what the snippets are for. Do I drag ‘n drop them? Type them in somehow to get them to work? I’m probably just being dim here.
  • Do we really need 2MB of modes and prefs and workers and themes for Ace editor? A lot of the modes seem overkill, since this is just targeted at the Write panel. Could you somehow only embed a subset of the filters, e.g. Markdown and Textile, perhaps? If this plugin was targeted at other panels such as Page/Form/Stylesheet, then maybe a few other modes might be handy: PHP, HTML, CSS, SASS, JS, etc. But since it’s very Write-specific it seems a waste of space to include the entire Ace bundle.

On the whole, it’s quite cool. Loads of shortcuts – too many to get my head round right now – but I tried a few of them and they worked well (only tested in FF/Win so far). And the drag/drop from other content types is a real boon for people working with images, for example.

Great idea for a plugin. And a few neat ideas we might be able to borrow for core in future. Thanks for the hard work you put into this.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2017-09-08 11:48:05

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks Steph for your feedback. I really appreciate.

Almost doubles the size of my Textpattern installation!

Because folder store full ace bundle (15Mo). Plugin don’t use full bundle (many themes and supported languages) but it’s more easy for me when I want updated ace to only replace the folder.

Love the way you can drag and drop articles, images, files and links in from the side panel. Also love that it knows what ‘type’ of content you want to link by where you grab. e.g. if you grab the article title it adds its URL in your body where you drop. If you grab its id, it renders a permlink tag instead. Very neat.

??
Normally, when you drag a <tr> of article / images / … list, you drop a specific snippet by content type with id of draged element (see prefs-default.json -> drop object). you can overwrite this values on prefs-user.json file.
If you drag a link (id or title of article), you drop href attr of the link.

Preview mode is great.

Thanks.

One small niggle. If I set the side pane width to, say 1/3, and then use the final box to close it, if I then open any side panel again by clicking article, image, file, etc, it opens out to the 1/2 size again. It’d be nice (if possible) to open out to the ‘last used’ panel width. Or to set a default panel width (didn’t see an option in the prefs but might have missed it).

Argh. Not documented feature. See rightPanelDefaultSize in json prefs file.
Set value to 1 for 1/3 size, to 2 for 1/2 size and 4 for 2/3 size.

I’m not sure what the snippets are for. Do I drag ‘n drop them? Type them in somehow to get them to work? I’m probably just being dim here.

Snippet is displayed via a tab trigger. Same has emmet / textmate / sublimetext. If you open snippet panel (s ->| or with cmd-alt-s shortcut) you can see tab trigger in first col and code in 2nd col.
eg. type img in editor and press tab.
Personally I add some custom snippets (some smd_macro) and use it more than drag and drop feature.

Do we really need 2MB of modes and prefs and workers and themes for Ace editor? A lot of the modes seem overkill, since this is just targeted at the Write panel. Could you somehow only embed a subset of the filters, e.g. Markdown and Textile, perhaps? If this plugin was targeted at other panels such as Page/Form/Stylesheet, then maybe a few other modes might be handy: PHP, HTML, CSS, SASS, JS, etc. But since it’s very Write-specific it seems a waste of space to include the entire Ace bundle.

Yes it’s certainly possible to remove some files to ace bundle. But I would not want it to be difficult to update the bundle afterwards.

Last edited by sacripant (2017-09-08 12:15:21)

#4 2017-09-08 13:39:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

sacripant wrote #306906:

If you drag a link (id or title of article), you drop href attr of the link.

Yep, just tried it again. My bad. That’s what I did. The permlink is created if you grab the row but if you grab one of the links by mistake, you get the link to the edit window.

Snippet is displayed via a tab trigger.

Tab. Got it. Makes sense. And that’s very handy! I like that idea. I’ve often wonder if some kind of snippet functionality would be a nice thing to build into a plugin, just as its own little thing. Hmmm… ideas.

Yes it’s certainly possible to remove some files to ace bundle. But I would not want it to be difficult to update the bundle afterwards.

I did wonder if that was the reason. Maybe you could write a script that extracts the bits you want into a separate area where you “compile” your plugins? So you download / update the full Ace bundle, run your ‘extract’ script to pull out and bundle up only the bits your plugin needs, then upload that. It’s one extra step for you, but I think it’ll be worth it for the users of this plugin.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer