Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-09-04 22:20:45

Iki

What's your "must have" plugin?

Looking for some suggestions on what folks find most useful. I’m got a fresh TXP installation and I’m wondering what people use the most.

Thanks!

“Some days, even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” — Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

#2 2017-09-05 12:14:30

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: What's your "must have" plugin?

I would also ask which essential features are still missing on txp roadmap?

#3 2017-09-05 13:42:48

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

etc wrote #306850:

I love the roadmap. I would also like to see the functionalities offered by rvm_css and spf_js in the core. I think that serving js or css through the database is not a good practice but I would not want to see their editing capabilities lifted from the admin interface.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2017-09-05 14:38:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #306851:

serving js or css through the database is not a good practice

Not wishing to derail this discussion, but what makes you say that? Serving many files at once off traditional spinning disk (e.g. Pages, Forms, Stylesheets, Images, etc.) burdens the disk controller and read/write heads.

With a separate database server and file server (to alleviate disk head contention on database temp/cache areas), delivering heavy page content from the database and allowing the disk to supply the stuff that’s only stored on disk is arguably more efficient: parallel processing and all that. On top of that, the database can return multiple resources in their entirety in a single query; a disk can’t unless the resources happen to wholly reside in the same sector or block.

Granted, on SSD the distinction is largely moot. It may then be better to serve everything off “disk”, but I haven’t done any performance benchmarks to assess which system is better. Not arguing against the idea, just curious if I’m missing anything.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2017-09-05 14:55:02

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #306852:

Not wishing to derail this discussion, but what makes you say that? Serving many files at once off traditional spinning disk (e.g. Pages, Forms, Stylesheets, Images, etc.) burdens the disk controller and read/write heads.

For more on this topic, may I point everyone to a certain portion of Textpattern themes: a plan?

Personally, I can see both sides. It kind of depends on whether you are someone who does everything in the database through the interface or someone who likes to FTP (or some other method) of putting your files online. I tended to be mostly the former but since mostly I am adapting someone else’s design find myself leaning more toward the latter these days.

#6 2017-09-05 15:06:06

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

etc wrote #306850:

Only one simple yet productive txp:image attribute (and the corresponding field in images panel) linked (url) would satisfy me. Neither plugin serves like this would.

#7 2017-09-05 15:27:19

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #306853:

For more on this topic, may I point everyone to a certain portion of Textpattern themes: a plan?

I still like the idea of a Hello Mountee like app. for Textoattern. All the files can stay in the DB but much like rah_flat you can mount the Structure as a File System, edit and male your changes, test, un-do to your heart’s content. once done, save, quit the mount and bob’s yr uncle, everything is back in the DB. You have no idea how smooth and easy that workflow is until you have experienced it. all it takes is to toggle edit external files in the Admin panel.

PS i have yet to use rah_flat ‘cause it just doesn’t feel right. potential for disaster seems high to me.

…. texted postive

#8 2017-09-05 17:07:30

Iki

Uh…

“Some days, even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” — Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

#9 2017-09-05 17:17:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yeah, aaaaand back on topic. My hit list normally includes:

• com_connect – contact form.
  • smd_if – because I just always find I need to test something out of the ordinary.
  • rvm_css – so I can serve stylesheets from the file system if I want to.
  • adi_gps – to read URL variables (which I tend to then test with smd_if).
  • smd_at_work – to put my site in maintenenance mode at the flick of a switch.
  • smd_where_used – because I’m always losing stuff.

Honourable mentions to:

• ied_plugin_composer – so I can muck about with plugins and repackage them up.
  • adi_form_links – goes hand in hand with smd_where_used to help me navigate page/form structures when creating sites.
  • rvm_privileged and cbe_frontauth / mck_login – if I need to do any front-side system integration.

How’s that?

Last edited by Bloke (2017-09-05 17:18:31)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#10 2017-09-05 17:37:22

Iki

Ok, here’s a stupid question, but what’s “smd”? I see that alot.

Also, is serving stylesheets from the file system different than linking directly to them?

Thanks!

#11 2017-09-05 18:12:45

maniqui
Website

This is an “smd”:

:)

smd plugins are the best.
Favourites:

• smd_if: for every “conditional need” you may have.
  • smd_thumbnail: for managing/creating thumbnails for images. It helps immensely when doing responsive images the Right Way.
  • smd_multi_choice: I use it mostly in tandem with txp:output_form/txp:yield tandem to cut down the number of files I use, and keep related HTML components grouped (I should have written a tip/tutorial on these like… 6 years ago).
  • rah_flat/oui_flat: for managing/editing templates as files
  • rah_replace: for string replacement.
  • mck_snippet: for managing micro-copy
  • smd_macro: for “abstracting” complex code (ie. creating short codes) that can be easily used in the article body.
  • etc_query: for advanced HTML manipulation (via XPath =

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#12 2017-09-05 18:26:53

Iki

So the initials in front of the plugins are the authors mark?

Board footer