Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-07-26 19:11:39

david@druna.cz

New article's field below annotation to specify auto e-mail text

We use articles as descriptions of workshops with a registration form handled by php script. Filling in the registration form result in sending the customer a confirmation e-mail. For some of the events we would like to be able to override the default e-mail text.

So I would like each article to have one extra big field just like the article body or the annotation for specifying this workshop-specific e-mail. Additionally I would like the php script to be able to ask for the text to be able to send it.

Is that possible? Maybe with a help of some plugins? Thanks for suggestions.

#2 2017-07-27 15:17:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: New article's field below annotation to specify auto e-mail text

Hi david and welcome to txp,

Apologies for the non responsiveness in the forum which indicates we need some more information and some clearer explanation.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2017-07-27 16:16:50

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I think this is an example of the kind of what David is working on.

http://www.druna.cz/inspiration-is-a-wild-cat

The form is being submitted to:

<form method="post" action="http://www.druna.cz/en_druna_rezervace.php"><br>

David,

Are you using Custom Fields for anything? That would give you a place to put in an email address.

Michael

#4 2017-07-27 18:15:14

david@druna.cz

Each article (ie workshop) has a form where a future participant fills in his name, e-mail address and phone number and signs up. The handling php script sends an e-mail with these information to us and another e-mail to the participant giving him some further informations and instructions to pay.

What I would like to be able to do is to define the e-mail body for the participant for each of the workshops separately so that I can send out instructions to bring a cup for one workshop and instructions to bring a pillow for another one. This means the common php script should be able to get the appropriate body.

We are currently using some custom fields and what I would like is pretty much the same as a custom field except I would like to be able to write such long thing as an e-mail body in a larger text area rather than a text field. I believe the length of the content of the custom field is greatly limited too.

@michaelkpate Yes you are right that is one example of one of our articles about workshops.

David

michaelkpate wrote #306465:

I think this is an example of the kind of what David is working on.

http://www.druna.cz/inspiration-is-a-wild-cat...

The form is being submitted to:

<form method="post" action="http://www.druna.cz/en_druna_rezervace.php"><br>...

David,

Are you using Custom Fields for anything? That would give you a place to put in an email address.

Michael

p.

Last edited by david@druna.cz (2017-07-27 18:18:39)

#5 2017-07-27 22:55:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Are you using the Excerpt field for anything in your site? Otherwise, you could use that to write your email body. An alternative is the glz_custom_fields plugin (forum thread). That would allow you to create an additional textarea on the write panel. But I must note that, while it works fine on TXP 4.6.2, AFAICT, it is not certain that it will work on TXP 4.7 (aka TXP next).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2017-07-28 12:22:08

david@druna.cz

We use something called an annotation in Czech, it is probably called an excerpt in english (there’s the article body body textarea and below is the annotation textarea in the edit screen). So we already have other use for that field.

I’m looking at the plugin page and I’m a bit worried about the compatibility with our current Textpattern v. 4.4.1. (Which is probably prehistoric but I recently inherited the system and I did not have the guts to upgrade yet.)

phiw13 wrote #306467:

Are you using the Excerpt field for anything in your site? Otherwise, you could use that to write your email body. An alternative is the glz_custom_fields plugin (forum thread). That would allow you to create an additional textarea on the write panel. But I must note that, while it works fine on TXP 4.6.2, AFAICT, it is not certain that it will work on TXP 4.7 (aka TXP next).

#7 2017-07-28 12:39:06

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

david@druna.cz wrote #306471:

We use something called an annotation in Czech, it is probably called an excerpt in english (there’s the article body body textarea and below is the annotation textarea in the edit screen). So we already have other use for that field.

Yes that is the field called Excerpt in English.

I’m looking at the plugin page and I’m a bit worried about the compatibility with our current Textpattern v. 4.4.1. (Which is probably prehistoric but I recently inherited the system and I did not have the guts to upgrade yet.)

Ouch, that is quite old. I think you better try the version (1.4.0b) of the plugin linked to in the first post of the thread (here). When you are ready to upgrade to TXP 4.6, then upgrade the plugin to the latest 1.5 version.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2017-07-29 16:27:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Back up your database and site before updating. If your site is still using Textpattern v. 4.4.1 it means that the specs of your server are also old as I do not think that the particular txp version can run on newer php/mysql versions.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#9 2017-07-30 13:28:00

david@druna.cz

I have just updated straight to 4.6.2 version of textpattern. It nicely surprised me how well it went.

I also “installed” the glz_custom_fields v1.5.0 Beta 1 version of the plugin (well I have just copied text into the admin console – I hope that is all to be done). I have enabled the plugin but I cannot see any place to define the new custom fields yet.

#10 2017-07-30 13:51:48

david@druna.cz

I think I have found it – there the Extension tab at the top and there Ican deine new custom field.

There is a suspicious message in the plugin settings saying thath Custom scripts path with the default value of /u2/www/druna_cz/data/www/plugins/glz_custom_fields does not existing and that I should create it. I tried to fill in some existing folder but the message is still there.

Board footer