Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#793 2017-04-13 16:37:20

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

Thanks for keeping this really important plugin working!

#794 2017-07-18 13:22:42

spiridon
Website

I found out that tru_tags works rather slowly. Debug shows that:

*    42,02 |    28,56 | 	<txp:tru_tags_list showcounts="1" countwrapchars="()" />
     42,09 |     0,10 | 		[SQL: SELECT name FROM ztxp_section as txp_section WHERE searchable != '1' ]
     42,19 |          | 		[Rows: 11]
     42,26 |    10,46 | 		[SQL: SELECT Keywords FROM zl10n_txp_uk_ua as l10n_txp_uk_ua WHERE Keywords <> ''and Section != ''AND Section != 'tag' AND Section != 'archive' AND Section != 'search' AND Section != 'sitemap' AND Section != 'rss-feed' AND Section != 'contact' AND Section != 'copyright' AND Section != 'sources' AND Section != 'searchy' AND Section != 'help' AND Section != 'archives' and Status >= '4' and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires IS NULL) ]
     52,74 |          | 		[Rows: 275]
     56,47 |     0,15 | 		[SQL: SELECT name FROM ztxp_section as txp_section WHERE searchable != '1' ]
     56,63 |          | 		[Rows: 11]
     56,73 |    10,20 | 		[SQL: SELECT Keywords FROM zl10n_txp_uk_ua as l10n_txp_uk_ua WHERE Keywords <> ''and Section != ''AND Section != 'tag' AND Section != 'archive' AND Section != 'search' AND Section != 'sitemap' AND Section != 'rss-feed' AND Section != 'contact' AND Section != 'copyright' AND Section != 'sources' AND Section != 'searchy' AND Section != 'help' AND Section != 'archives' and Status >= '4' and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires IS NULL) ]
     66,95 |          | 		[Rows: 275]

You can see that the same queries are executed twice. And one of them is a heavy, noncached query.

The reason is that the function tru_tags_cloud_query() is called twice. I don’t know if it’s intended or it’s a mistake… But for myself I wrote a hack that fixes duplication of a heavy query.

Before:

<!-- Trace summary:
Runtime   : 80,45 ms
Query time: 39,53 ms
Queries   : 32
Memory (*): 2254 kB
-->

*    42,02 |    28,56 | 	<txp:tru_tags_list showcounts="1" countwrapchars="()" />
     42,09 |     0,10 | 		[SQL: SELECT name FROM ztxp_section as txp_section WHERE searchable != '1' ]
     42,19 |          | 		[Rows: 11]
     42,26 |    10,46 | 		[SQL: SELECT Keywords FROM zl10n_txp_uk_ua as l10n_txp_uk_ua WHERE Keywords <> ''and Section != ''AND Section != 'tag' AND Section != 'archive' AND Section != 'search' AND Section != 'sitemap' AND Section != 'rss-feed' AND Section != 'contact' AND Section != 'copyright' AND Section != 'sources' AND Section != 'searchy' AND Section != 'help' AND Section != 'archives' and Status >= '4' and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires IS NULL) ]
     52,74 |          | 		[Rows: 275]
     56,47 |     0,15 | 		[SQL: SELECT name FROM ztxp_section as txp_section WHERE searchable != '1' ]
     56,63 |          | 		[Rows: 11]
     56,73 |    10,20 | 		[SQL: SELECT Keywords FROM zl10n_txp_uk_ua as l10n_txp_uk_ua WHERE Keywords <> ''and Section != ''AND Section != 'tag' AND Section != 'archive' AND Section != 'search' AND Section != 'sitemap' AND Section != 'rss-feed' AND Section != 'contact' AND Section != 'copyright' AND Section != 'sources' AND Section != 'searchy' AND Section != 'help' AND Section != 'archives' and Status >= '4' and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires IS NULL) ]
     66,95 |          | 		[Rows: 275]

After:

<!-- Trace summary:
Runtime   : 69,91 ms
Query time: 28,87 ms
Queries   : 31
Memory (*): 2322 kB
-->

36,10 |    18,57 | 	<txp:tru_tags_list showcounts="1" countwrapchars="()" />
     36,18 |     0,12 | 		[SQL: SELECT name FROM ztxp_section as txp_section WHERE searchable != '1' ]
     36,30 |          | 		[Rows: 11]
     36,37 |    11,05 | 		[SQL: SELECT Keywords FROM zl10n_txp_uk_ua as l10n_txp_uk_ua WHERE Keywords <> ''and Section != ''AND Section != 'tag' AND Section != 'archive' AND Section != 'search' AND Section != 'sitemap' AND Section != 'rss-feed' AND Section != 'contact' AND Section != 'copyright' AND Section != 'sources' AND Section != 'searchy' AND Section != 'help' AND Section != 'archives' and Status >= '4' and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires IS NULL) ]
     47,43 |          | 		[Rows: 275]
     51,07 |     0,14 | 		[SQL: SELECT name FROM ztxp_section as txp_section WHERE searchable != '1' ]
     51,21 |          | 		[Rows: 11]

Last edited by spiridon (2017-07-20 10:30:50)

#795 2017-07-18 16:32:04

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you for this!

tru_tags_cloud_query is called from a bunch of places; it’s how tru_tags figures out what tags exist. Depending on what you’re showing on a page, it could easily be called many times. It might also be the case that there’s a call tree where it’s being called redundantly; I’d have to know more about your site and the particular page you are testing, to guess.

But still, caching the query result does seem like a good idea, given how that function is used, and that it makes a heavy database call. But I am generally super-paranoid about any sort of caching; it usually leads to subtle bugs. (Like do we know if the $rs is just a list, or does it contain other state that might not be safe to cache? I don’t remember my php and textpattern well enough to be sure.)

Looking at your before and after, it looks like you only saved about 10ms (~13%) on the runtime – is that worth it? But of course, you saved about 25% on the query time, and if that query is used many times in a page, it might have a much bigger effect. Do you have any experimental results that would show that?

So on the whole, I think this is probably a good thing you’ve done. I looked over your code changes and I like them, except I think you should reuse $query_key on line 358. If you’d make that change and submit a PR, I’d happily merge it and publish a new version.

Thanks again!

#796 2017-07-20 10:30:19

spiridon
Website

truist wrote #306330:

tru_tags_cloud_query is called from a bunch of places; it’s how tru_tags figures out what tags exist.

I found that I had a call stack like this:

tru_tags_cloud() {
    tru_tags_list() {
        tru_tags_cloud_query()
        tru_tags_render_cloud() {
            tru_tags_tag_parameter() {
                tru_tags_cloud_query()
            }
        }
    }
}

But still, caching the query result does seem like a good idea, given how that function is used, and that it makes a heavy database call. But I am generally super-paranoid about any sort of caching; it usually leads to subtle bugs. (Like do we know if the $rs is just a list, or does it contain other state that might not be safe to cache? I don’t remember my php and textpattern well enough to be sure.)

This is not dangerous. The function safe_row always returns array (empty array in case of error).

Looking at your before and after, it looks like you only saved about 10ms (~13%) on the runtime – is that worth it? But of course, you saved about 25% on the query time, and if that query is used many times in a page, it might have a much bigger effect. Do you have any experimental results that would show that?

You can ignore it, but I can not.
I do not have any experimental results, except those that published earlier. I just found the inefficiency in the code.

If you’d make that change and submit a PR, I’d happily merge it and publish a new version.

Done.

#797 2017-07-20 12:11:31

makss
Plugin Author
Website

spiridon wrote #306323:

But for myself I wrote a hack that fixes duplication of a heavy query.

Note that in Txp 4.6+ you can significantly speed up queries with txp/php function now() This approach makes it possible to use mysql query_cache and in this case there is no need for additional caching.

Example usage (copy-paste from the plugin aks_article)

// Using SQL caching capabilities. Txp 4.6+
	if (function_exists('now')) {
		$where_posted = now('posted');
		$where_expired = " AND (".now('expires')." <= Expires OR Expires IS NULL)";
	} else {
		$where_posted = "now()";
		$where_expired = " AND (now() <= Expires OR Expires = ".NULLDATETIME.")";
	}

switch ($time) {
		case 'any':	$time = ""; break;
		case 'all':	$time = ""; $expired = 1; break;
		case 'future':	$time = " AND Posted > ".$where_posted; break;
		default:	$time = " AND Posted <= ".$where_posted;
	}
	if (!$expired) {
		$time .= $where_expired;
	}

Can adapt and add to the functions tru_tags_cloud_query and tru_tags_redo_article_search

Last edited by makss (2017-07-20 12:26:06)

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#798 2017-07-20 13:23:19

makss
Plugin Author
Website

Please check my patch
Unfortunately, I can not check it on a real site.

aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#799 2017-07-20 14:48:28

makss
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #305227:

I am trying to get tru_tags 3.9 working on a site running 4.7 dev. I am constantly getting this error in the backend.

A problem occurred while loading the plugin: tru_tags -> User_Error: Table '[databasename].tru_tags_prefs' doesn't exist on line 409...

Perhaps fixed , please check.

#800 2017-07-20 17:21:18

spiridon
Website

makss wrote #306361:

Note that in Txp 4.6+ you can significantly speed up queries with txp/php function now() This approach makes it possible to use mysql query_cache and in this case there is no need for additional caching.

This will lead to malfunction of the plugin. And besides it fills caches with useless queries.

#801 2017-07-23 09:39:45

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

With textpattern 4.6.2 and tru_tags 3.9 the for me very important auto complete function stopped working. Stylesheet and script are now placed right before the <!DOCTYPE html>

The javascript file doesn’t seems to be still necessary, because the autocomplete function is now part of jquery-ui which is also loaded by the admin-side theme.

How to get the code back into the html body or the head? There is this “head_end” callback, but I don’t know how to change the code for using it right, due to my limited programming skills.

#802 2017-07-23 21:30:43

whocarez
Plugin Author
Website GitHub Twitter

A quick and dirty solution, which is working for me and with the help of this auto complete example from here:

function tru_tags_admin_write_tab_handler($event, $step, $data) {
	global $tru_tags_prefs;
	$atts = tru_tags_get_standard_cloud_atts(array(), true, true, true);
	$cloud = array_unique(tru_tags_cloud_query($atts));
	natcasesort($cloud);

$id = (empty($GLOBALS['ID']) ? gps('ID') : $GLOBALS['ID']);
	$article_tags = (empty($id) ? array() : tru_tags_get_tags_for_article($id));

$links = array();
        global $raw_cloud;
	$raw_cloud = '';
	foreach ($cloud as $tag) {
		$style = (in_array($tag, $article_tags) ? ' class="tag_chosen"' : '');
		$links[] = '<a href="#advanced"'.$style.' onclick="toggleClass(this, toggleTag(\\\''.addslashes(addslashes(htmlspecialchars($tag))).'\\\')); return false;">' . addslashes(htmlspecialchars($tag)) . '<\/a>';
		$raw_cloud .= '"' . addSlashes($tag) . '",';
	}
	$raw_cloud = substr($raw_cloud, 0, strlen($raw_cloud) - 1);
	$to_insert = join(', ', $links);

if ($tru_tags_prefs[TAGS_IN_WRITE_TAB]->value) {
		$js = <<<EOF
			var keywordsField = document.getElementById('keywords');
			keywordsField.parentNode.appendChild(document.createElement('br'));
			var cloud = document.createElement('span');
			keywordsField.parentNode.appendChild(cloud);
			cloud.setAttribute('class', 'tru_tags_admin_tags');
			cloud.innerHTML = '{$to_insert}';

var styleElement = document.createElement('style');
			styleElement.setAttribute("type", "text/css");
			var styleText = 'a.tag_chosen{background-color: #FEB; color: black;}';
			if (styleElement.styleSheet) { //IE
				styleElement.styleSheet.cssText = styleText;
			} else {
				var textNode = document.createTextNode(styleText);
				styleElement.appendChild(textNode);
			}
			var headElement = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
			headElement.appendChild(styleElement);

function toggleTag(tagName) {
				var regexTag = tagName.replace(/([\\\\\^\\$*+[\\]?{}.=!:(|)])/g,"\\\\$1");
				var tagRegex = new RegExp("((^|,)\\\s*)" + regexTag + "\\\s*(,\\\s*|$)");
				var textarea = document.getElementById('keywords');
				var curval = textarea.value.replace(/,?\s+$/, '');
				if ('' == curval) {
					textarea.value = tagName;
				} else if (curval.match(tagRegex)) {
					textarea.value = curval.replace(tagRegex, '$1').replace(/,?\s+$/, '');
					return '';
				} else if (',' == curval.charAt(curval.length - 1)) {
					textarea.value += ' ' + tagName;
				} else {
					textarea.value += ', ' + tagName;
				}
				return 'tag_chosen';
			}

function toggleClass(element, className) {
				element.setAttribute('class', className);
				element.setAttribute('className', className); /* for IE */
			}
EOF;
		return $data . script_js($js);
	}

if ($tru_tags_prefs[AUTOCOMPLETE_IN_WRITE_TAB]->value) {

register_callback('tru_tags_admin_write_tab_bodyend', 'admin_side', 'body_end');

function tru_tags_admin_write_tab_bodyend ($event, $step) {
                          global $raw_cloud;

$output='<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../js/jquery.autocomplete.css" media="projection, screen" />
         			<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--
          				$(document).ready(function(){ 
          				    var availableTags = ['.$raw_cloud.'];
          				    function split( val ) { return val.split( /,\s*/ ); }
          				    function extractLast( term ) { return split( term ).pop(); }
          				    $("#keywords").autocomplete({ minLength: 0, 
          				                                  source: function( request, response ) {
          				                                            // delegate back to autocomplete, but extract the last term
          				                                            response( $.ui.autocomplete.filter(
          				                                              availableTags, extractLast( request.term ) ) );
          				                                          },
          				                                          focus: function() {
          				                                            // prevent value inserted on focus
          				                                            return false;
          				                                          },
          				                                          select: function( event, ui ) {
          				                                            var terms = split( this.value );
          				                                            // remove the current input
          				                                            terms.pop();
          				                                            // add the selected item
          				                                            terms.push( ui.item.value );
          				                                            // add placeholder to get the comma-and-space at the end
          				                                            terms.push( "" );
          				                                            this.value = terms.join( ", " );
          				                                            return false;
          				                                  }});
         				});
            			//--></script>';
                           echo n.$output.n;
                	}

}

}

Last edited by whocarez (2017-07-23 21:44:29)

#803 2018-05-01 19:51:51

moon blake

michaelkpate wrote #305227:

As someone who has been using tru_tags on their personal site for nearly a decade, good to have you back.

I am trying to get tru_tags 3.9 working on a site running 4.7 dev. I am constantly getting this error in the backend.

A problem occurred while loading the plugin: tru_tags -> User_Error: Table '[databasename].tru_tags_prefs' doesn't exist on line 409...

While michaelkpate reports an issue with true_tags under 4.7 I get the said error under 4.6.2
Any idea how to solve this?
Looking it up in phpMyAdmin I am also wondering if it is correct that there seems to be no table added to the database by the true_tags plugin.
Thanks for any hint.

#804 2018-05-01 20:11:48

uli

Have you seen makks’ reply?

makss wrote #306363:

Perhaps fixed , please check.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer