Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2017-07-05 15:39:02

Algaris

Re: Article ID from the Write panel

Bloke wrote #306172:

With a separate unique field, migrating or merging content from one DB to another (consolidation) becomes a breeze. Export a bunch of articles, import them somewhere else, they might get different (auto-increment) IDs but would retain their unique value. Nothing breaks. Recovering from partial data failure is simpler because you can load a backup and not worry about IDs having to match up. You can grab page templates from one database, along with some records and just shove them in another DB without worrying about changing the template to match up the new IDs.

This. So much this. When I used Textpattern for my organisations website I started to struggle with IDs. I could never get my development and production databases to line up. It would cause me no end of headaches. I would have loved to be able to do a straight database import of articles into my development site (and back to my production site) with all the content fitting together without any issues.

Last edited by Algaris (2017-07-06 09:08:32)

#14 2017-07-05 15:47:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Algaris wrote #306205:

I could never get my development and production databases to line up. It would cause me no end of headaches.

Me too! The only annoying thing about UUIDs is that they’re so looooong if you want to use them by hand.

<txp:article id="551bd945-9c53-47cc-bb56-25adb3f76031" />

Unique. Unchanging. Yuk.

Gotta be a neat way to use the power of UUID (under the hood) without the hassle of having to type/copy them around the place.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2017-07-07 07:20:51

Algaris

Not that I want to derail gaekwad’s thread any further but if UUIDs could somehow be used with images and files etc. as well that would be amazing.

Board footer