Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-05-03 20:40:11

jpdupont

Project to create the ability to upload multiple images

Currently, there are two plugins that allow multiple uploading of images.
They no longer work with version 4.7 dev. When this one will be definitive, it will be necessary to “implore” the authors so that they upgrade their plugin … perhaps… !

Is it possible to integrate in the core this functionality? Jquery / ajax / php plugins exist that could be integrated. For example:

I would like to have the capacity to implement this myself, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Thank you for your reading and your reactions …

Last edited by jpdupont (2017-05-03 20:56:29)

#2 2017-05-04 07:24:46

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Project to create the ability to upload multiple images

Which two plugins don’t work? I know of abc_article_image and smd_imagery (both of which I use on 4.7.0-dev). abl_droploader is probably simple to adjust as it just has a jQuery compatibility error with recent versions.

We’re looking at plupload for core use, one day, but it’s undecided at the moment. I still think this functionality is better served by a plugin, because there are so many ways people want to be able to interact with images and articles that we can never hope to please everyone. But I might be persuaded otherwise.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2017-05-04 07:47:26

jpdupont

• abl_droploader does not work at all: a click on the overlay allows to choose the images but after … nothing happens
  • jbx_multiple_image_upload allows to make the images go up but each time with an unknown error. Very insecure.

Off topic, but the bug “type not supported” random when using glz custom fields is very disruptive.

I know it’s not good to use the development versions in the real world. But it is very difficult to wait for the official releases while excellent things are in the dev version (ex: memorization of last pages and form used, evaluate, …)

#4 2017-05-04 08:04:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I appreciate it’s tempting to run dev code (and I do it sometimes). As I say, abl_droploader just throws a jQuery error so I presume it’s a compatibility thing with the latest version of jQuery. If the bundled drag ‘n drop library (jquery.filedrop.js) is upgraded inside the plugin, it’ll probably work again. I’ll see if I can patch it later.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2017-05-04 09:16:17

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I don’t quite understand what you mean by “the ability to upload multiple images”. In 4.7 we have introduced the multi-part form submission that makes multiple files upload quite straightforward. The main question now is the interface, imo. If you take a look at abc_article_image thread, you will notice, for example, that there is no consensus in how files/images metadata (category, description, etc) should be assigned on upload. As ever, we stay open to all suggestions ;-)

#6 2017-05-04 10:12:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

etc wrote #305614:

there is no consensus in how files/images metadata (category, description, etc) should be assigned on upload.

Exactly, and that was my point to jpdupont earlier.

If we offer a core method of uploading images, someone will want to assign meta data on upload. Others will be happy to do it later. Some might want to set meta data first (category, for example) and do the rest later. Others might want to read the image file name, split it up on some delimiter and use those parts as meta data such as category, title, etc. Others might want to read EXIF or IPTC/XMP data and populate images with that. Some want to see thumbnails in the Write panel, others don’t. Some want to see full-size images on hover or click. Maybe in a lightbox. Some are happy with just a list of IDs. Some want the ability to pick from existing uploaded images as well as upload new ones. Some want to place lists of assigned images inside the article body and read them back to alter the assigned pictures (see smd_imagery). The list goes on.

We cannot satisfy everyone’s requiremenets, so whichever way we might choose to implement it would be “wrong” in someone’s eyes. That is why I have always championed doing the bare minimum in core, but opening it up enough so that plugins can fill the gaps. We have largely done this already, as evidenced by abc_article_image to which Oleg linked. A simple plugin can do way more, better, and faster than core ever could.

That said, when the Images panel is refactored, we might offer rudimentary insertion of images directly from the Write panel, but it might not include upload or drag ‘n drop and all that fancy stuff. As Oleg says, we are always open to suggestions on how to improve Textpattern, so if you have some ideas on how we could offer the best experience for most users, we’ll consider it.

#7 2017-05-04 11:20:04

jpdupont

It is good, the upload of images from the tab write, which should simply be put in place, it is the multiimage from the tab image where for the moment one is limited to the upload of a single at a time.

Board footer