Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-03-08 01:25:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Firefox 52 released

This might be interesting for some: it is the last full release (ArsTechnica article) for Windows XP and Vista. Support for the NPAPI is also dropped, except Flash). Those users will be migrated to the Firefox 52 ESR builds (and that will almost certainly be the last build they can use).

Release notes here. For developers: support for CSS grid is now enabled (rel. notes). Chrome and Safari will have CSS Grid support soon (for Safari, end the month, together with macOS 10.12.4).

The ESR builds are available here.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2017-03-08 04:12:23

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Firefox 52 released

51.8 MB Download to upgrade from Version 50.0.2 – I remember when you could install Netscape Navigator off a floppy.

#3 2017-03-08 06:54:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Thank god they got CSS grid in there. Very helpful for future work.

#4 2017-03-10 18:41:31

Destry
Website

Very excited about CSS grid.

#5 2017-03-13 06:44:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I have put the new CSS grid to work on the main content part of the TXP admin pages. You can test it with my mockup files – complete with debugging colours. Apologies, but I accept no responsibility for damage to your eyes. Resize the browser window to see the layout adapting for medium (iPad) or larger screens. This seems to work fine overall. I see two issues with Firefox though, both height related. Chrome (actually an Opera beta build) works fine. Browsers that don’t understand display:grid will fall back to the display:flex layout (Edge, IE 11, current Safari 10. 10.1 beta will see the grid based layout)

1. Minor Firefox issue on the Image Edit panel, the content of the right-hand column (grid item) overflows its box. It shouldn’t. I tracked the reason to setting a max-height on the main image. Curiously, I can only see that on my Mac, but not on my Windows 10 laptop. If someone can reproduce it as well, let me know (minimal test case).
  2. More worrisome Firefox issue, on the Write panel the content overflows the right-hand column. This one I see on both my Mac and Windows boxes (and I can reproduce that when put to work with my TXP 4.7 install, toggling the twisties sometimes doesn’t expand the height of the column, it should). I have no idea why.

PS – all the code to make that work is in this file (the grid code is about ~0.7KB…).

#6 2017-03-13 09:48:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@phiw13

Thanks for the details – I’ll dissect your grid code for learning but I’m not going to be using CSS Grid in Textpattern core for a while yet, because:

1. Not enough real-world browser support at this point in time (and if flexbox roadmap taught us anything the initial browser implementations of grid may be quite buggy).
2. I don’t want to duplicate code of flexbox (which is working fine right now) in grid just to support grid as well as flexbox with @supports. That defeats the advantage of using grid in the first place IMO.

Obviously this is an interim stance. Once grid is stable and widespread I’ll take advantage of the more concise code it uses over flexbox.

#7 2017-03-14 04:36:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

You misunderstand me I think.

Now that CSS grid display has been released in release builds, it is interesting to at least test it out. The layout of the main content of the TXP admin interface is one case that is well suited for this. Hence my experiment, which I shared with the community (including issues/limitations). Someone else might be interested in playing with it as well.

By you in my post above, I certainly didn’t mean you, Phil Wareham, but you, the reader. And I certainly didn’t intend to say that you should pick it up ASAP and implement it in your Hive theme. It is up to you to decide what layout technique(s) you use for your stylesheet. If you want, steal borrow my code… For my part, I probably will use display: grid, certainly for my personal sites, depending on how Safari 10.1 works.

Oh, and related to TXP, I can tell one thing though – CSS Grid layout is faster for a number of TXP-admin panels, particularly the Preferences panel, and particularly in Firefox.

#8 2017-03-30 12:52:13

Destry
Website

CSS Grid is now in FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari in a matter of 4 weeks. When has that ever happened?

#9 2017-03-30 13:16:23

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #305144:

CSS Grid is now in FF, Chrome, Opera, and Safari in a matter of 4 weeks. When has that ever happened?

Public secret: they had an agreement on the approximate release date.

#10 2017-03-30 13:56:42

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #305144:

One browser is conspicuous by it’s absence.

Note: This is a nice resource – Grid by Example Current Browser/Rendering Engine Information

Board footer