Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-03-13 10:55:44

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

sed_plugin_help_viewer Mark II

I’ve made a Mark II version of net-carver’s plugin. Wasn’t sure if I should start a new support thread for it, or revive the original one from the archives. (It’s only a few posts.)

Thoughts?

Code is topiary

#2 2017-03-14 10:41:34

gomedia
Plugin Author

Re: sed_plugin_help_viewer Mark II

Hi Jeff. Nice to hear from you again. Here’s a slightly different take on the original plugin help viewer.

#3 2017-03-14 11:57:15

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Adi. Nice to be back. Had a look at your plugin, but not getting correct results. Might be because I don’t use the out-of-the-box ZEM plugin template. I see unprocessed help text with a plugin that has help text; if I add a plugin with no help text (and no help text delimiters) to the cache, adi_plugin_help_init( ) brings the entire admin side down.

I like your tabbed menu item.

BTW, your site’s /textpack/download page is returning “not found”.

Code is topiary

#4 2017-03-14 12:56:00

GugUser

gomedia wrote #304719:

Here’s a slightly different take on the original plugin help viewer.

Hi geomedia, what should your plugin do? I see a new navigation tap and nothing more.

#5 2017-03-14 13:57:05

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

Anyway, back to my original question, and in light of Jukka’s opinion on how to name a forked plugin, any more thoughts? Keep the old name and support thread or not? I started from the original code, but re-worked it quite a bit, in addition to adding my new feature.

Code is topiary

#6 2017-03-14 14:26:03

maverick
Website

jsoo wrote #304727:

Keep the old name and support thread or not? I started from the original code, but re-worked it quite a bit, in addition to adding my new feature.

I imagine that some plugin others feel differently than Jukka. However, I agree with his general sentiment.

If it is a fork that has altered features, and/or reworked the codebase, then use your prefix.

All the more so when the plugins are essentially abandoned support-wise by the original plugin author.

A new name and new thread, with any necessary acknowledgement to the original seems to be respectful and in order. That way support requests and ongoing development is simplified for the end-user.

#7 2017-03-14 14:30:07

uli

I once admitted a very vivid discussion in a topic it didn’t belong in and only recognised months later – when I could not unsubscribe somewhere else – how annoying it might have been for a subscribed topic owner to receive these dozens of update mails. (Sorry, Adi, sorry! :]

Hence I’d say open a new topic. 2¢ for the rest: Use the soo prefix (Jukka’s proposal), leave the name (it will do basically the same as Steve’s, right?) but mark it as something different, like you did.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#8 2017-03-14 16:43:34

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote #304732:

I once admitted a very vivid discussion in a topic it didn’t belong in and only recognised months later – when I could not unsubscribe somewhere else – how annoying it might have been for a subscribed topic owner to receive these dozens of update mails. (Sorry, Adi, sorry! :]

That decides it! I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks to all for the comments.

Code is topiary

#9 2017-03-14 18:54:46

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

New support thread started. :)

Code is topiary

#10 2017-03-14 21:43:33

gomedia
Plugin Author

jsoo wrote #304722:

Hi Adi. Nice to be back. Had a look at your plugin, but not getting correct results. Might be because I don’t use the out-of-the-box ZEM plugin template. I see unprocessed help text with a plugin that has help text; if I add a plugin with no help text (and no help text delimiters) to the cache, adi_plugin_help_init( ) brings the entire admin side down.

I like your tabbed menu item.

BTW, your site’s /textpack/download page is returning “not found”.

It was something I knocked together a while ago so probably has some rough edges … anyway, just posted as an FYI but obviously not suitable for your purposes.

#11 2017-03-14 21:44:53

gomedia
Plugin Author

GugUser wrote #304724:

Hi geomedia, what should your plugin do? I see a new navigation tap and nothing more.

If you have plugins installed in the plugin cache then they’ll appear in the new menu – which is where you can access their help text.

Board footer