Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-03-10 11:48:28

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Linked images

I am going to install jcr_image_custom plugin — the special custom field for "image":url to file, page, code, or whatever data source. And I am wondering, why such simple and usual field is absent and not planned in the core?

This additional image metadata field would empower txp:image tag by one optional attribute, such as

<txp:image id="123" "linked" />

In developing further, it could be expanded to three fields link1, link2, link2, or semantically named as file, page, code — file linked to the full-size image source or pdf file, page to an image with broad description or gallery page, and code to iframe, lightbox, or whatever code.

That would especially useful in community sites, where images mostly are linked to outside sources.

#2 2017-03-10 16:48:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Linked images

Hi Vienuolis

I normally use the image name for that. Something like

<txp:images id="##">
<a href="<txp:image_info type="name" />" rel="follow"><txp:image /></a>
</txp:images>

Having said that a url field would indeed be useful for many.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2017-03-10 23:57:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

colak wrote #304557:

Having said that a url field would indeed be useful for many.

The image panel certainly could do with some additional fields. A URL field is not that important for me (yet ?), but additional meta data would be. image author and image date bear very little relation to the real date of an image, or the real author of the image in my case (those fields point to the upload date and the person who uploaded the image). Oh, and maybe something like a keywords field.

That is one reason I‘m looking forward to the work on integrating unlimited custom fields in core.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#4 2017-03-11 17:43:36

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

phiw13 wrote #304572:

additional meta data would be. image author and image date

I would suggest to extract and store EXIF metadata (with GPS geolocation, date, copyright, etc.) to avoid mistakes and duplication of work, filling in metadata again.

Perhaps EXIF is important in photography only, thus would better suitable for plugins.

#5 2017-03-12 00:14:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Vienuolis wrote #304593:

I would suggest to extract and store EXIF metadata (with GPS geolocation, date, copyright, etc.) to avoid mistakes and duplication of work, filling in metadata again.

Perhaps EXIF is important in photography only, thus would better suitable for plugins.

EXIF data won’t help me at all. The images I‘m dealing with are:

1. Digital reproduction of old (old) images (creation date: ~1900 – 1930).
  2. Photographs of art work, artwork which is mostly paintings, drawnings, or sometimes sculptures.
  3. Documentary images about “artist at work”, widely defined (could be performing musician, actor, painter in her studio…).

Images are there mostly as illustration or alternate view for text (articles). What I am looking for is the possibility to create “collections” of images based on keywords or other meta data.

Bare in mind in this context, the words of Roland Barthes, L‘empire des signes:

Le texte ne « commente » pas les images. Les images n’« illustrent » pas le texte…

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2017-03-12 00:42:48

bici
Website Mastodon

“The text does not “comment” the images. The pictures do not “illustrate” the text”.
meta-data

…. texted postive

Board footer