Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2017-03-09 07:49:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Facebook group?

Somebody has just archived the Textpattern Facebook Group – last post was in 2015 so it wasn’t exactly a hive of conversation. I could request it to be restarted (or start a new one I guess) and kickstart activity there but is it worth it? Maybe just stick to other channels and remove that link from our sites?

Opinions?

#2 2017-03-09 08:28:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Facebook group?

Amit did it. Axe, imo.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2017-03-09 08:38:57

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

No useful but felt weird seeing the notification.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#4 2017-03-09 11:16:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve removed the Facebook group link from the site footers now.

#5 2017-03-10 04:03:56

bici
Website Mastodon

good. no good can come from visiting farcebook pages. #evil

…. texted postive

#6 2017-03-10 23:43:06

towndock
Website

Agreed. Narcissistbook is a distraction. This forum is the right focus.

#7 2017-03-11 07:07:10

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

towndock wrote #304571:

Agreed. Narcissistbook is a distraction. This forum is the right focus.

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#8 2017-11-10 08:46:07

Destry
Website

towndock wrote #304571:

Narcissistbook is a distraction.

It’s way worse than that.

The less the world keeps giving these centralized monopolies attention, the better off society will be. Seems pretty hopeless, but let’s do our part. (I rather like the French expression, Fessebook; i.e. Assbook.)

I apologize for my past transgressions and advocacy of centralized social media for this project. ?

But the truth is, a project like this, with its aims for exposure and promotion (understandably), and regardless of being a non-commercial affair backed by an honest-to-goodness community of decent people, Textpattern has to walk the walk of web-tech trends or the barely visible blip on the radar that it already is will disappear entirely from the minds of even the most observing. Just look at all the silly “Textpattern?” comments in this Hacker News thread about the main site redesign. (And you want those website ads to be worthwhile, yes?)

While I would love to say, and since the axe is already bloody, you should also kill G+, Twitter, and LinkedIn too, you can’t really afford to kill everything — though you should kill what you can, and find opportunistic alternatives. Just make sure you don’t have more than you can give adequate time to and leave accounts ignored for months. Those accounts should be killed. (Twitter is probably your most used socmed channel, and even that is pretty desolate as far as CMS Twitter accounts go.)

Socmed is hard work, no disputing it. If you don’t balance it right, it can hurt you more than help you.

Frankly, I’d like to see Textpattern brave into less main-stream and more ethical waters; stop following tired trends toward centralized social media and set a different standard.

For example, why not create a Mastodon account and blend into the fediverse as an example of open source giving Silicon Valley the finger? You can find a suitable instance from the “Get started” directory here. Better yet, setup your own instance and have total control over your data, though you do, ultimately, have that control of your account data on any instance as it is (data/settings deletion and export features are in every account profile). You could even allow forum accounts to have Masto accounts on your instance.

It would open up a whole new vector of community banter and getting to know others (which isn’t really supported in this forum, which has become rather business-oriented, and that’s a good thing). It also benefits Mastodon in return, which is indeed an admirable project with its priorities in order.

I spend a fair amount of time there. It’s full of *nix users, rebels, revolutionaries, resisters, devs of every conceivable programming language, artists, educators, builders, among other interesting and colorful types. And now that I have been spending time there and been reminded of what social media can really mean and be, I can’t stand to look at Twitter anymore. It’s a cesspool in comparison… Of narcissism, advertising, capitalism, deceit, and corruption right up to the top of the most powerful governments. People are played like pawns, like they are in all those centralized mind-traps. You can only really see this when you get out of the shit (and stay out) for a while.

Mastodon is a good project to support. That kind of idea is what I’d suggest keeping an eye out for. Be different. You are. You need to be. The world needs you to be.

#9 2017-11-10 09:31:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Short answer: time.

Between a small baby, work/home-life and Textpattern coding, I rarely have time to post on my own social media accounts let alone massage the social channels for Textpattern (although the Textpattern official Twitter account is solely manned by me, it seems). Totally agree that you need to play the social media game these days for brand recognition – and some in the web design community are absolute masters at this (luckily I don’t have to play that game for my job).

I’d love someone to be our social media spokesperson but that person isn’t going to be me, I’m afraid. If anyone wants to step up then we can talk about a strategy (generally as long as you post trends, retweet interesting things and sometimes report on/answer Textpattern-specific things the social media channels: followers grow). It just needs to be done more often.

#10 2017-11-10 09:50:05

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #307765:

…time.

Yep. And the fact nobody in this community likes mainstream social media.

If anyone wants to step up… It just needs to be done more often.

I tried my hand at it for a while… The Txp G+ page, the @txpmag twätter account when it was relevant. Those are a couple channels ready for deep-sixing. Even if the mag came back, it doesn’t need a separate twit account.

#11 2017-11-10 09:53:46

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Fancy going the official Textpattern Twitter account a go Destry? As I said, it doesn’t need huge work, just a steady stream of tweets. It would make me very happy to have an additional person doing the Twitter account.

G+ I’m not fussed about. Not used Mastodon but not adverse to giving it a try (although Twitter is our main focus apart from this forum and GitHub).

#12 2017-11-10 10:04:17

Destry
Website

Fancy going the official Textpattern Twitter account a go Destry?

You’re a funny man.

Allow me to reiterate the nicer part of this paragraph.

And now that I have been spending time [in Masto] and been reminded of what social media can really mean and be, I can’t stand to look at Twitter anymore…

Sorry.

I am happy to throw some #textpattern hashtags around in Mastodon though. I can do that from my accounts there. (If anyone has profound questions about Masto, throw ‘em up.)

Board footer