Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2016-12-21 15:19:37

Destry
Website

Re: oui_flat (rah_flat fork) - Manage templates and prefs as flat files

NicolasGraph wrote #303334:

Thanks Destry for sharing your workflow with these two plugins; they should probably fusionate one day…

Agree, a fusion would be convenient, and wouldn’t need much change in workflow, except…

Instead of the export files going to a fixed location (i.e. /templates/export), the Extension panel controls should allow you at that point to designate whatever location you wanted, which then gives you a ready-made path to copy/paste into the rah_flat preferences when ready.

That would eliminate needing to clean up folders between the two plugins.

The user would still have to manually fiddle with the child folders and files a bit, but the plugins would be merged at that point. ;)

And make sure you change the name to oui_flat at that point, or oui_jcr_flat.

#50 2016-12-21 15:35:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I like all this stuff, but bear in mind that Themes are-a-comin’ so the process will differ from the above. You won’t need plugins to do it, unless you want your plugin repo under VCS management too (which, btw, you could do with the plugin cache setting in prefs).

Assuming I can get the import/export working reliably then you’ll be able to natively pull and push Theme bundles comprising Pages, Forms and Styles so you can apply them to your Sections as you see fit. There may be the ability to handle prefs too, but it depends on adoption of a patch by makss, which is awaiting ratification.

The core implementation of the file system follows the rah_flat methodology, except for having Form type first in the filename. And, of course, instead of a single folder for your template subdirectories, you’ll have one subfolder per theme, with your template subdirectories beneath each.

NicolasGraph: If you want to help out with the flat-file side of things in core, feel free to pull the themes branch down and let me know. I’ll then share the core flat-file code I have so far, which is currently uncommitted.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#51 2016-12-21 19:12:14

bici
Website Mastodon

NicolasGraph wrote #303334:

Thanks Destry for sharing your workflow with these two plugins; they should probably fusionate one day…

Thanks Destry and a vote for a FUSIONATE – lovely word i think

will be giving this a go once the holidays clear

…. texted postive

#52 2016-12-22 00:39:23

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@Destry – good write-up, thanks. This will come in handy for some project next month.

@Bloke – looking forward to your Themes work. Makss patch(es) sounds very interesting, although wee bit hard to follow from here.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#53 2016-12-22 02:22:05

jstubbs
Website

Very nice write up Destry – thanks and time to try out flat files again! Care to post the tutorial to Textpattern Tips?

#54 2016-12-22 08:58:36

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #303339:

I like all this stuff, but bear in mind that Themes are-a-comin’ so the process will differ from the above. You won’t need plugins to do it, unless you want your plugin repo under VCS management too […]. If you want to help out with the flat-file side of things in core, feel free to pull the themes branch down and let me know. I’ll then share the core flat-file code I have so far, which is currently uncommitted.

@Bloke, You are right, I should take a look deeper in the core work. I’m not sure if and how I can help but I’ll take a try in 2017, you can send me the uncommited changes.

I’ll also try to fusionate the two plugins if I find enough time but it probably won’t be released promptly ; meanwhile, I’ll update the rah_flat doc with Destry’s tip.

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2016-12-22 09:09:20)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#55 2016-12-22 09:44:24

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

@Destry, I went back to the rah_ prefix because I think that we can considrate the original plugin as orphan, and even if I’m not as good as Gocom was, I really think that the improvements I made should make v0.5 the official last release, so I just adopted the plugin as Bloke did for zem_contact (I should remove “fork” in the thread title). Keeping the same prefix when adopting is a way to keep plugin users on the track. And having two or three plugins with the same name but a different prefix wouldn’t be confusing? How would you know what is the consistency between them?

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2016-12-22 11:15:28)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#56 2016-12-28 16:20:39

mrdale
Website

Still agitating for a pony even though Xmas is over with.

pony = rah_flat extended to handle articles in either textile (even though I consider it a very silly puppy) or html.

#57 2016-12-28 16:28:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Your pony might be closer than you think. If we can figure out a way to tweak this patch by makss it has the ability to load articles from flat files.

Combined with the themes work, it might deliver a pretty good interpretation of a pony at some point. At the moment, it’s arguably not a full pony. Maybe with three legs. Or one leg made of wood.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#58 2016-12-28 21:33:58

mrdale
Website

Bloke wrote #303425:

Combined with the themes work, it might deliver a pretty good interpretation of a pony at some point.

That sounds incredible. Having messed around with kirby I can tell you that putting together a new site where you can simply move around and edit text files is an incredibly fast workflow.

#59 2017-03-13 22:08:48

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

NicolasGraph wrote #303365:

if I’m not as good as Gocom was

You known I’m not dead, right? ;-)

rah_ prefix

I like that some of you folks been continuing my work, but when it comes to prefixes could you please use your own prefixes when it comes to releasing your forks? I mean, to not confuse people or creating the issue where we have two (or more) plugins with the same name, but incomparable code bases.

Whether it has my original plugin’s name, or not, doesn’t make it any more or less official, or less useful. It’s a thing whether it’s name is blp_imports or rah_flat and users can find it regardless.

I mean, would you want to use a plugin prefix that allegedly is short for “racist asshole” (is it!?) or some nice and cuddly such “Billy’s lucky ponies”.

#60 2017-03-14 00:06:45

bici
Website Mastodon

Rah-plugins | What? I’m a little confused… again :-)
?/ me three

how come RAH_FLAT is not in your repo of plugins? have you abandoned it to the internets?

…. texted postive

Board footer