Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-11-02 12:20:09

alesh
Website

New Art and Culture Center/Hollywood website

This is 99% done and going live sometime in the next week, thought it’d be a good time to share: the new Art and Culture Center website. It’s been over two years and at least one completely scrapped iteration. (Here is the current site and here is what’s left of the abandoned thing.)

• I’m considering making the full-height article images on the homepage to be 70 or 80% instead, and would consider pro/con ideas. I think it looks pretty awesome this way and i think people know about scrolling?
  • The site uses a pretty complex tangle of sections and categories to make the various bits work, and the homepage automagically pulls various articles from these sections based on section, posted/expired dates, custom fields. (The same code feeds “other articles” list at the bottom of individual-article pages.) I will post the nutty tangle of code (thanks to everyone here who helped put it together).
  • Uses etc_query, glz_custom_fields indispensibly, plus upm_textile, upm_insert_tab, rss_article_edit, and a few others I’m pretty sure don’t do anything but am afraid to turn off. rah_knots forever.
  • The various sections are color-coded with little tags above article names. When in that section, the header bar and footer change to that color.
  • Everything is hidden behind a hamburger menu. To-do: make it also change colors with section. (Once the top bar has scrolled away. jQuery. It would be cool if the alternate color could scroll in right along with the light background. Advice welcome.)
  • A couple of responsive tweaks still needed.
  • Most images (soon to be all) zoom to fullscreen when clicked. Using zoom.js but considering switching to lightbox.
  • Lots of low-res images from the old site still needing to be swapped out.

This would be a great time to hear about anything I’m doing wrong.

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#2 2016-11-02 12:27:41

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: New Art and Culture Center/Hollywood website

Lovely stuff! I’m currently working on the new Textpattern official sites and will be asking for example sites for a showcase section. I’ll be in contact to see if you want a site to feature there in due course.

#3 2016-11-02 13:52:17

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

alesh wrote #302551:

• The various sections are color-coded with little tags above article names.

Pretty nice, but I would suggest to make these tags clickable.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#4 2016-11-02 15:52:48

alesh
Website

philwareham wrote #302553:

Lovely stuff! I’m currently working on the new Textpattern official sites and will be asking for example sites for a showcase section. I’ll be in contact to see if you want a site to feature there in due course.

Awesome, thanks!

NicolasGraph wrote #302555:

Pretty nice, but I would suggest to make these tags clickable.

A pretty glaring oversight which I will address pronto, thanks.

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#5 2016-11-02 17:09:40

towndock
Website

Beautiful work. Your “nutty tangle of code” rocks.

alesh wrote #302551:

I’m considering making the full-height article images on the homepage to be 70 or 80% instead, and would consider pro/con ideas. I think it looks pretty awesome this way and i think people know about scrolling?

It will be interesting to see how users interact with inside content (compared to how they have been) once you make to switch to the new site. Will desktop/laptop users find content (know to scroll) as easily as in the past? You can tweak as needed.

I really like your new site.

#6 2017-07-21 23:48:23

bici
Website Mastodon

Kuznec wrote #306376:

I think that this site on mobile devices makes their owners cry.

… it did for me. so lovely!

…. texted postive

Board footer