Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-10-12 12:04:19

alesh
Website

Save without losing my place?

Editing a massive css file is a pain because for every tweak we have to scroll scroll back to our place. But being able to save without the text field losing it’s place would be helpful everywhere, even editing articles.

I think the way to make this work is by having the backend use some sort of Ajax stuff, and that sounds like a lot of messy work. Probably not gonna happen anytime soon.

Oh well!

Yes, I have tried turning it off and on.

#2 2016-10-12 12:11:37

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Save without losing my place?

Well, the write page uses Ajax, so I think it possibly could be done on forms/pages/styes pages too. Any devs want to look into whether this is possible?

#3 2016-10-12 12:17:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

alesh wrote #302112:

being able to save without the text field losing it’s place would be helpful everywhere, even editing articles.

Ummm, what version of Txp are you using? AJAX saving of Articles has been available since 4.5.0.

The plan is, yes, to roll this out to other areas. Just got sidetracked with bigger behind-the-scenes stuff in 4.6.0. Might try and put it into 4.7.0. Could you please raise an issue about AJAXifying other panels so it’s on our radar. Thanks.

Last edited by Bloke (2016-10-12 12:17:39)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2016-10-12 12:42:55

alesh
Website

Holy carp!

Apologies, I’m doing design overhaul so mostly bouncing around between Pages, Forms, Sections, and Style. Just tested, and duh yeah it works awesome on article edit view.

Huge thumbs up, and absolutely I will post this to GitHub. (I actually considered posting this there, but not knowing it was already close to being a thing it seemed more of a musing and too presumptuous.)

By the way, 4.6.0 is awesome. I’ve been working on this redesign for a long time now and between copying databases and a few of my esoteric plugin combinations (also 10+ years of database cruft) I was having all kinds of mySQL errors and “get of my lawn” stuff. Since 4.6.0 it’s all been smooth sailing.

#5 2016-10-12 13:12:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #302116:

Ummm, what version of Txp are you using? AJAX saving of Articles has been available since 4.5.0.

That doesn’t really work well in 4.6.0. With Hive active as the admin theme, I edit something in the middle of a long article (multiple screens long, ~ 1500 words). The textarea expands to fit the length of the article. To save, I have to scroll up to the top again to find the save button. then scroll back down to find where I was working. (works great with Sandspace theme, though (with doesn’t use that expand textarea script).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#6 2016-10-12 13:18:57

alesh
Website

phiw13 wrote #302120:

That doesn’t really work well …

It does if you save with Command-S or Control-S.

#7 2016-10-12 13:23:13

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

alesh wrote #302123:

It does if you save with Command-S or Control-S.

Sure, but a/ many people use the mouse to click on that button b/ that keyboard shortcut is not-really know, and not documented, afaik.

#8 2016-10-12 13:30:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

If the autogrow isn’t working well, I’m sure Phil can turn it off and/or adopt the Sandspace model…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2016-10-12 13:34:22

alesh
Website

phiw13 wrote #302124:

Sure, but a/ many people use the mouse to click on that button b/ that keyboard shortcut is not-really know, and not documented, afaik.

Good point. (Tho I see a little “⌘+S” tooltip show up when I hover over the Save button.) I’m generally a fan of Hive, but I do think there’s room for improvement in terms of how the panels and text areas are arranged, and perhaps some more fixed elements in the window.

#10 2016-10-12 13:41:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve always wanted something like this (very rough) example – maybe worth investigating?

#11 2016-10-12 13:44:39

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #302127:

If the autogrow isn’t working well, I’m sure Phil can turn it off and/or adopt the Sandspace model…

I don’t say auto grow is or isn’t working well. Obviously some of the regulars love it, personally I’m no fan. I just wanted to point out a weakness when it comes to saving. One thing I do in Sandspace is make the save button position:sticky (that is, it is always visible near the top of the screen) – but that is of course only helpful for Safari and Firefox users atm; Chromium is working on it, and MS Edge, hmm, come back next year….

#12 2016-10-12 13:51:50

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #302131:

I’ve always wanted something like this (very rough) example – maybe worth investigating?

a/ quite complex interaction model with multiple (visual) anchor points.
b/ Wouldn’t that be confusing for people who have scrollbars set to always show?

Board footer