Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2016-09-15 16:01:59

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textile vs Markdown

jakob wrote #301535:

There’s gitlab too. It’s github-like, offers unlimited private repos and also supports textile.

Yeah, the comments section of all the blogs I was reading comparing Bitbucket and GitHub had the CEO of GitLab exclaiming the virtues of his new service.

philwareham wrote #301538:

We are absolutely 100% staying on GitHub – that is not up for debate.

Never said it was, it took us a while to get off of SVN, and I was a vocal proponent of the move.

Personally, I’m not going to learn another markup language. Between Textile, BBCode and Doku code, which I’ll soon switch to Creole, I can do my work and communicate effectively.

Phil, who did you talk with at GitHub?

#14 2016-09-15 16:05:58

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #301505:

If this project, that brought Textile to the world, is giving up on our creation, then the future is bleak.

I am still working on converting all of my Betamax tapes to digital to burn on HD-DVD. :)

Sometimes the best choice just doesn’t win for whatever reason.

#15 2016-09-15 16:07:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #301540:

Phil, who did you talk with at GitHub?

History here, and related. I’d stress this is Jekyll stuff – there is no indication GitHub will drop Textile support for its main site.

#16 2016-09-15 16:15:04

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Which leads me to a subject that is up for debate: We need Markdown to ship as a core part of Textpattern NOT a plugin. I’m happy for Textile to stay as the default setting (which you can change at install time or afterwards in preferences to Markdown if you wish). New dev users will expect that, as will more and more end users who have grown up with Markdown.

+1 – easy for me because I won’t be doing any of the hard part

#17 2016-09-15 16:46:40

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

“But Dean Allen began to fade away. He wasn’t an infocide, but for several years it was as if he were on infohospice.” – Resurrecting Mark Pilgrim and Why the Lucky Stiff

Always good reads from you Michael, thanks.

So it was the f*cking Apple Fanboys that we have to thank for Markdown ;)

#18 2016-09-15 17:09:54

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #301543:

History here, and related. I’d stress this is Jekyll stuff – there is no indication GitHub will drop Textile support for its main site.

Fuck Ben, and since he’s a lawyer, he can come sue my ass if he doesn’t like what I say or what I’m about to say, here or everywhere.

That’s no reason to remove a mature markup language, it’s all politics, plain and simple.

Looking at this from another perspective, GitHub is a great collaboration tool, way better than Google Code, now that doesn’t mean we have to go, what did Dean say Buggerballs, into it.

#19 2016-09-15 18:00:17

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #301546:

Looking at this from another perspective, GitHub is a great collaboration tool, way better than Google Code, now that doesn’t mean we have to go, what did Dean say Buggerballs, into it.

Phil explained this above but I didn’t understand it at first either the last time this came up. The issue is not with Github – that supports Textile. The issue is not with Jekyll – that supports Textile. The issue is that Github Pages no longer supports Textile.

You can use Markdown instead of HTML. Markdown is simpler to read and write. – About GitHub Pages and Jekyll

There are clear advantages to maintaining the Documentation in a Git Repository at Github. Unfortunately for us, it doesn’t include Textile support but the thing you have to keep in mind: What is the best choice for the people using the Docs?

#20 2016-09-15 18:08:51

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #301535:

There’s gitlab too. It’s github-like, offers unlimited private repos and also supports textile.

Check this out, GitLab is going to create an online IDE. This is getting interesting by the minute.

Time to give GitLab a try then, at least I can see the IDE in action and glean some knowledge from it. From what I’ve been reading, anything GitLab creates will be Open Source, so their interface will be in a repository for all to see. Go GitLab! Boo GitHub, not a friend to Open Source projects :(

#21 2016-09-15 20:52:24

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #301547:

What is the best choice for the people using the Docs?

For them to be accessible from the Site administration area.

There’s also the question, what’s the best choice for the people maintaining the docs?

Let me give you a real world example. On this forum there are so many tidbits of information that we’ve come across, that if we had an easy interface to copy/paste the example and the verbiage, and attach it to a template tag, wow that would of been cool.

The skinny of it, is that we are a CMS project, the “C” stands for content.

#22 2016-09-16 16:37:52

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

My submission to the Google crawler.

My content, markup by Textile.

#23 2016-09-16 16:45:31

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Which leads me to a subject that is up for debate: We need Markdown to ship as a core part of Textpattern NOT a plugin. I’m happy for Textile to stay as the default setting (which you can change at install time or afterwards in preferences to Markdown if you wish).

Seven seventy, come on down.

#24 2016-09-17 10:16:54

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Board footer