Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2016-09-08 08:19:19

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 3 released

FWIW: I had an erroneous </txp:tag /> in some form. Don’t remember whether I meant </txp:tag> or <txp:tag />. It worked as intended in 4.5.7, but not in 4.6, since the new parser interprets them differently. Took me a crazy hour of bug hunting.

#110 2016-09-08 15:18:03

bici
Website Mastodon

etc wrote #301220:

FWIW: I had an erroneous </txp:tag /> in some form. Don’t remember whether I meant </txp:tag> or <txp:tag />. It worked as intended in 4.5.7, but not in 4.6, since the new parser interprets them differently. Took me a crazy hour of bug hunting.

it’s not clear what you changed. What was it BEFORE and what was it AFTER

…. texted postive

#111 2016-09-08 19:16:51

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote #301235:

it’s not clear what you changed. What was it BEFORE and what was it AFTER

I don’t remember, unfortunately. What I mean is that 4.5 and 4.6 interpret </txp:tag /> (which is a syntax error) differently: one of them sees it as <txp:tag />, and the other one as </txp:tag>. So a txp form containing this error that worked without any warning in 4.5 can break in 4.6 (still without warning).

#112 2016-09-09 17:13:29

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

There’s talk of PSR in the history file.

What PSR is being used for the code, and are there standards you use for Forms, Pages, Styles and included HTML and CSS files?

PS. The Textpattern.com page throws a 404 if you want to download 4.5.7.

Last edited by hcgtv (2016-09-09 17:29:55)

#113 2016-09-09 19:40:39

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #301262:

What PSR is being used for the code

We’re working towards complete PSR-2 compliance, with caveats. The caveats being that we don’t rigidly stick to line length limits (although we try) and sometimes function parameter lists aren’t broken onto multiple lines, because it can hinder readability so going over the 80-char limit by a few characters is sometimes better.

One thing I don’t like is the blank line between end of the docblock and the function / variable name. Especially in things like lib/constants.php it makes it very hard to parse by eye, as the blocks don’t have obvious specificity to the thing they document. I know the doc blocks primarily exist so they can be automatically generated as a x-ref by PHPDoc, but I do prefer them to butt right up to the thing to which they pertain in the source. Hehe, I said butt. Maybe one day I’ll change it, but for now I’m sticking to the convention started by, uhhh, one of us devs a few years back.

and are there standards you use for Forms, Pages, Styles and included HTML and CSS files?

Not that I know of. Just readable. I think SASS takes care of CSS readability for us; at least in the non-minified version of files!

The Textpattern.com page throws a 404 if you want to download 4.5.7.

Phil changed the redirect ready for 4.6.0, which was meant to be out the day before yesterday but I found a late-breaking bug that I’m hopefully gonna fix tonight.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#114 2016-09-09 22:28:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #301266:

Phil changed the redirect ready for 4.6.0, which was meant to be out the day before yesterday but I found a late-breaking bug that I’m hopefully gonna fix tonight.

We gotta put a counter on the download page ;)

#115 2016-09-10 03:01:09

bici
Website Mastodon

…and used successfully 90 thousand times

…. texted postive

#116 2016-09-10 05:17:36

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Grabbed the master branch after Stef updated the checksums.

Updated the TXP Tags site, all is running well on a DreamHost VPS:

• Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS “Precise Pangolin” – OS
  • Apache 2.2.22 – HTTP server
  • MySQL 5.6.25 – Database server
  • PHP 5.6.24 – Web scripting language

Observations:

• There are orphan folders and files from a 4.5.7 upgrade left over:
    • /textpattern/include/import/ and txp_import.php
    • /textpattern/theme/
    • /textpattern/txp_img/
    • /textpattern/jquery.js
    • /textpattern/lgpl-2.1.txt
    • /textpatten/license.txt
  • What happened to _to_4.4.0.php and _to_4.4.1.php from the update folder?
  • After signing on to the backend to kick off the update process, you should clear your browser cache and even go so far as to shut the browser down and start it back up, or else funky things start to happen.
  • Have lots of suggestions for the backend, let’s leave that for the official what do you think about the 4.6.0 release?

Next up, benchmarks…

#117 2016-09-10 08:21:51

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #301270:

There are orphan folders and files from a 4.5.7 upgrade left over

Thanks for testing.

• /textpattern/include/import/ and txp_import.php They’re supposed to be deleted. Hmmm.
  • /textpattern/theme/ Leaving alone in case people have custom admin themes installed. Can be deleted by hand if not used.
  • /textpattern/txp_img/ Used by the MultiLingual Publishing Pack (among others?) Again, can be deleted if not in use.
  • /textpattern/jquery.js Kept in case admin themes or plugins link to it. It’s up to site admins to delete when they’re sure it’s no longer in use.
  • /textpattern/lgpl-2.1.txt and /textpatten/license.txt probably should be deleted as part of the upgrade script.

What happened to _to_4.4.0.php and _to_4.4.1.php from the update folder?

The installation/upgrade scripts have been extensively reworked. They were placeholder files, previously required due to the inflexibility of the upgrade process. They’re no longer needed.

After signing on to the backend to kick off the update process, you should clear your browser cache and even go so far as to shut the browser down and start it back up, or else funky things start to happen.

Yes. The upgrade docs do (I hope!) recommend logging out of your admin side at minimum prior to upgrade. Closing the browser is a bonus.

Have lots of suggestions for the backend, let’s leave that for the official what do you think about the 4.6.0 release?

Thanks, looking forward to it. And the benchmarks. One of the things Oleg’s keen to target, btw, is the txp_lang table which accounts for a huge overhead as strings are loaded. Not helped by the fact we’ve moved to TEXT columns in this release, which makes them not cacheable in MySQL. He has some great ideas on optimisations here.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#118 2016-09-10 08:29:39

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The languages (and inline help) are something we want to focus on heavily in 4.7 – also bundling them with the releases. This allows us to cull a load of strings that are not used anymore in the admin side. I’ve spent a looooong time preparing and cleaning the RPC strings to this end (like, a couple of years – finally finish the cleanup yesterday).

#119 2016-09-10 09:17:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Bloke wrote #301273:

They’re supposed to be deleted.

Just ran an upgrade from a stock 4.5.7. All went swimmingly (yay!) and these files were deleted. Wonder why yours were left behind?

We probably should get rid of the old license files though, unless anyone knows of a reason to keep them?

#120 2016-09-10 09:27:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

As far as I know the 3 licences in root are required, due to code we use in various portions of the project.

We can investigate in 4.7 whether a single licence covers us or not (or perhaps move the bsd and lesser licences into the directories where the code they reference is contained).

Board footer