Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2016-09-07 14:25:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [docs] Anchors in Markdown?

gaekwad wrote #301172:

Oh, and flat files == no inherent CMS to maintain, which is a bonus.

DokuWiki is flat file based, there are LibreOffice plugins that can take HTML and convert it to Doku format, it’s how I built up my personal wiki.

Jekyll sounds nice, but you have to learn another markup language, there’s just so much space in my brain, it’s a getting full :)

#26 2016-09-07 15:46:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Jekyll is the right tool for this (very specific) task. Sure it has some massive limitations you have to consider beforehand but in this case, with its flat file structure that is easily viewed, edited and curated on GitHub, it’s the best choice for our user documentation.

You should probably learn Markdown as it’s fairly ubiquitous on the internet these days. Even though I prefer Textile, I accept that state of affairs.

#27 2016-09-07 16:01:57

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #301185:

You should probably learn Markdown as it’s fairly ubiquitous on the internet these days. Even though I prefer Textile, I accept that state of affairs.

I successfully avoided ASP, long live PHP.

Let me give you an example of how switching from one to another can be confusing. This forum uses Textile for it’s formatting, over BBCode. Whenever I come here, my mind has to switch, at first it was really hard, I would be creating a post keying in bbcode syntax and then hit preview, shit.

That switching slows you down, I just want to write, and if that markup language is Textile, so be it.

#28 2016-09-07 16:22:49

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The Textile option was taken away from us by GitHub. I did have a conversation with the Ben Balter at GitHub who made that decision but their stats for Textile usage were low (50 Textile pages for every 10,000 Markdown pages).

#29 2016-09-07 20:11:47

jakob
Admin
Website

Wet has made a markdown text filter for textpattern, so if you can bulk import the .md files into articles (kind of like rah_flat for articles, you could potentially populate textpattern from the docs on github.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#30 2016-09-07 21:02:11

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #301209:

if you can bulk import the .md files into articles (kind of like rah_flat for articles), you could potentially populate textpattern from the docs on github.

Are you saying there’s a way to make Textpattern articles into flat files? I.e. I could edit actual articles using iA Writer or Ulysses, for example, just like templates, and never have to open the Write panel of Txp? I didn’t think that was possible.

If articles can be flat files, I might not be opposed to a Txp install for docs to avoid the formatting boogaloo, as long as there was still a GitHub repo to track changes. It seems avoiding the boogaloo dance would be the only advantage, however, since a Jekyll site on GitHub is essentially the same arrangement — a headless, flat-file system.

But if I’m reading that wrong and Txp articles can’t be managed as flat-files, then my feelings on using Txp still stands.

The only thing I really need to make the Textile-to-Markdown editing work less painful in the existing pages (besides any help people want to give), is a table converter, because there are many Textile tables in my doc pages for data scanning reasons, and I have no desire to f-around with that syntax again (it probably won’t even happen, to be honest).

#31 2016-09-07 21:28:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #301212:

But if I’m reading that wrong and Txp articles can’t be managed as flat-files, then my feelings on using Txp still stands.

Why all the hate for Textpattern’s admin ;)

I practically live in the backend screens of Textpattern, so my opinions are biased. I like the fact that my data can be manipulated and displayed in all kinds of ways, more so than CSS could ever do.

With TXP 4.6, we’ve entered into a better experience for entering content and manipulating the design. Textile let’s me write heads down, no fancy widgety tool bars to go click. The presentation layer is so simple, if you want it to be, one page, one style and a few forms.

Compared to having to re-learn, I’d rather bend the muscles I’ve built up over time.

Last edited by hcgtv (2016-09-07 21:34:46)

#32 2016-09-08 08:07:54

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #301073:

You don’t need to make an anchor – Jekyll does that automatically

Ok, so that’s a Jekyll trick and not a Markdown trick. Is there a way to do it with Markdown too? I’d like to know if it’s possible because I have other Markdown docs not in Jekyll that I would love to use in-page anchors with.

#33 2016-09-08 08:14:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Not automatically. You’d have to use something like this:

# Table of Contents
  * [Chapter 1](#chapter-1)
  * [Chapter 2](#chapter-2)
  * [Chapter 3](#chapter-3)

## Chapter 1 <a id="chapter-1"></a>
Content for chapter one.

## Chapter 2 <a id="chapter-2"></a>
Content for chapter one.

## Chapter 3 <a id="chapter-3"></a>
Content for chapter one.

#34 2016-09-08 08:20:58

Destry
Website

Thanks. I just came across that info too.

It doesn’t work in Flarum posts, unfortunately, which is one place I’m in need of it, but it will be handy in other .md docs on GitHub.

#35 2016-09-08 08:22:58

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The GitHub site adds anchors to any Markdown/Textile docs that are rendered in their system, not just in Jekyll.

#36 2016-09-08 08:25:35

Destry
Website

Ah, right. I remember the little link icons.

Board footer