Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2016-09-07 14:07:09

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 3 released

gaekwad wrote #301160:

There’s nothing stopping anyone making a totally new admin theme, either from scratch or with one of the myriad CSS frameworks that exist these days.

That’s where I’m heading next, time to get your hands dirty I guess.

You don’t have to use Hive. Maybe it’s time (after 4.6.0 is out, of course) for us as a community to think about alternative admin-side themes.

The admin side has always been a please don’t touch or you’ll break plugins scenario. Not to take this thread into strange territory, but I’d like to explore decoupling the admin from core, and publishing a set of API’s or rules to live by and then let everyone use their own widget set to design a backend.

#98 2016-09-07 14:10:47

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

hcgtv wrote #301168:

That’s where I’m heading next, time to get your hands dirty I guess.

Excellent!

Not to take this thread into strange territory […]

(We long-since passed that)

[…] but I’d like to explore decoupling the admin from core, and publishing a set of API’s or rules to live by and then let everyone use their own widget set to design a backend.

Go go go!

#99 2016-09-07 14:25:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hcgtv wrote #301168:

decoupling the admin from core, and publishing a set of API’s or rules to live by and then let everyone use their own widget set to design a backend.

adopting dreamy far-away look Yes please(ish).

That’s sort of what Sam tried with Escher. The Escher admin side was built with the startlingly familiar Escher-tags (<et:... />) that allowed you to render paragraphs, select lists, checkboxes, and so on, as well as articles, lists, images, pages, partials, yahde yahde. Built with itself, like all good lexers :-)

Txp has txplib_html.php, which is an incomplete library for widget building. Sure, MVC is attractive and “correct”, but I’m doing that sort of thing for a non-Txp project at the moment and I can report that making reusable ‘V’ components fed from ‘C’ontrollers is hard graft. Really hard graft, and messy code spread across hundreds of freaking .html files that are nested to produce something on-screen. Gotta be a better way.

Abstracting what we have in our core Txp library is something I’ve tried (and failed at) before. But it’s the closest thing towards usable page building widgetery that I’ve ever used. And I know, somewhere, somehow, there’s a way to open it up further with some ingenuity and a bit of free time.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#100 2016-09-07 14:39:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #301175:

That’s sort of what Sam tried with Escher.

All bow down to the father of multi site, of which I need after launching all these Textpattern sites of late.

Abstracting what we have in our core Txp library is something I’ve tried (and failed at) before. But it’s the closest thing towards usable page building widgetery that I’ve ever used. And I know, somewhere, somehow, there’s a way to open it up further with some ingenuity and a bit of free time.

I’ve always looked at the admin like the Wizard of Oz, you know it’s back there, and it’ll get you home, but pulling the curtain open reveals surprises.

Imagine a core TXP install with just the rendering engine for pages, no admin to speak of, super secure. Takes multi-site to a whole new level, gotta find Sam ;)

#101 2016-09-07 15:13:08

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Just for the record, I’m not pissed off at all. Far from it – I’m just keen to release a new version.

Further UI changes can wait until 4.7dev. I’m happy with it and it works. Sure we can (and will) make changes in 4.7. Not least an image grid view and hopefully a way of inserting images/files directly in write page.

#102 2016-09-07 15:30:33

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #301178:

Just for the record, I’m not pissed off at all. Far from it – I’m just keen to release a new version.

Damn, then we’re not trying hard enough ;)

I’m keen to get all my sites to 4.6, and then we can start discussing 4.7, as we use 4.6 in production and get more familiar with it.

#103 2016-09-07 15:42:33

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #301168:

Not to take this thread into strange territory, but I’d like to explore decoupling the admin from core, and publishing a set of API’s or rules to live by and then let everyone use their own widget set to design a backend.

Headless Textpattern? I know Drupal and WordPress have done that

So, headless proves hugely beneficial for cross-platform publishing and custom user experiences. It makes publishers, designers and developers happy and, eventually, helps building better products for the public. – Headless and decoupled CMS: the essential guide

Honestly, I think it is mostly for really picky people who want to reinvent the wheel. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

#104 2016-09-07 15:55:34

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #301184:

Honestly, I think it is mostly for really picky people who want to reinvent the wheel. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

And this is where we saw the rise of “the runtime” (I totally stole that word from Kevin Cochrane of Day). By runtime, I mean code on your delivery server which acts on the content to render a Web site. These systems were built to make sense of all the published content assets and generate a dynamic Web site out of it. They didn’t manage the content (that was being done somewhere else, remember), but they delivered it. The runtime enables things like dynamic navigation, personalization, permissions, etc.

Link

#105 2016-09-07 15:59:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Ok, since we have gone way off topic, I’ll assume beta3 is release-worthy now. Should release very soon now!

#106 2016-09-07 16:45:03

bici
Website Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #301181:

I’m keen to get all my sites to 4.6,

yes. a nice little project for my 6-7 TxP sites

…. texted postive

#107 2016-09-07 16:53:34

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #301196:

yes. a nice little project for my 6-7 TxP sites

I’m up to 24 TXP sites, must look into multi-site.

#108 2016-09-07 21:16:34

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

philwareham wrote #301187:

Ok, since we have gone way off topic, I’ll assume beta3 is release-worthy now. Should release very soon now!

I have a site that I have been meaning to relaunch since January. When it gets officially released, I am officially on the clock. :)

Board footer