Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-09-01 07:54:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 3 released

Please provide any feedback related to Textpattern 4.6.0 beta 3 released.

Check this opening post before raising an issue, because all fixes that have been applied will be listed below, thanks.

#2 2016-09-01 10:15:36

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 3 released

Nice one, Phil!

Demo site updated: textpattern.co/demo

#3 2016-09-01 11:54:03

jonathanbrickman0000
Website

Looking great!

J.E.B.

#4 2016-09-01 14:21:22

GugUser

Hm, I’m a little surprised. Why the page and form tabs was changed? Why the “All page” and form type blocks are on the left? And worse, why the Save button, “Create new form” and “duplicate” are on the bottom?

That seems to me to be a step backwards, I don’t like it. That was much better in beta 2.

Very helpful are “Expand all” and “Collapse all”. Nevertheless, not would it be possible to have only one toogle “button” for this function?

But all in all, many thanks for all the other improvements and refinements. Is a great work.

#5 2016-09-01 14:31:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

GugUser wrote #300922:

Hm, I’m a little surprised. Why the page and form tabs was changed? Why the “All page” and form type blocks are on the left? And worse, why the Save button, “Create new form” and “duplicate” are on the bottom?

For accessibility reasons. The tab flow and HTML structure is now improved for screen readers and keyboard navigation, plus when using mobile devices the page/form file list is now displayed first the code which is better UX.

The combined expand all/collapse all is a fair point though. Maybe I’ll refactor for v4.7.

#6 2016-09-01 15:14:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #300923:

For accessibility reasons. The tab flow and HTML structure is now improved for screen readers and keyboard navigation, plus when using mobile devices the page/form file list is now displayed first the code which is better UX.

I could understand that logic for the Write tab, but if you’re working on Pages and Forms, for more than just a quick change, you’re on a laptop.

Beta 2, with the Hive (Flat Neutral) theme, was just about perfect.

#7 2016-09-01 15:18:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #300924:

I could understand that logic for the Write tab, but if you’re working on Pages and Forms, for more than just a quick change, you’re on a laptop.

Yes, it’s more to do with doing the tab/screen reader flow right. The mobile flow is just a happy aside of that.

#8 2016-09-01 17:22:26

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #300925:

Yes, it’s more to do with doing the tab/screen reader flow right. The mobile flow is just a happy aside of that.

From a conversation on StackExchange – How to design an IDE?

1. Identify the different types of users.
2. For each of them, identify what they need to do.
3. Also identify what their goals and aims in using the application.
4. Then identify what their motivations and drivers are.
5. For each task, considering their motivations and aims, identify a process to let them do this.
6. As each process is developed, see how it fits in with others.
7. Once complete, assess the whole lot of tasks against the users goals and motivations, and make sure they can all achieve what they want.
8. Build the system.
9. Test with the actual users.
10. Readjust the design bearing in mind what the users have said.

My thoughts are that the Presentation admin screens are like an IDE, it’s a different animal compared to the Content screens, and as such should be treated with the intended audience in mind. Now if your interaction with the backend Pages and Forms is limited because you use a flat file approach and hang out in your Text Editor/FTP Client, then it’s not an IDE for you, it’s purpose is only for quick changes. I live in the Presentation screens, multiple tabs opened in Firefox, it’s quicker for me, and I’ve tried the flat file approach.

My sites are simple, if I want to make wholesale changes throughout my presence, it’s a simple process of cut and paste between browser tabs. I am your intended audience, I am the one you’re trying to sell on Textpattern, because it’s easier to develop and maintain sites compared to WordPress. We’re not competing with Sublime Text.

“A rising tide lifts all boats”, is all I can say if you’re taking my comments from a hey, aren’t you forking?

#9 2016-09-01 18:00:02

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I have my IDE set up with file list on left, editor on the right, so in that sense it’s exactly the same.

#10 2016-09-01 18:20:15

jpdupont

I find that the new presentation makes them inconsistent things. “Publish” is over (write tab), but “Save” is at the bottom (other tabs). Some links above, others below. The beta 2 was in my opinion better organized. The lists of links on the left now do not bother me. For my part, I would like all links and buttons back on top.

#11 2016-09-01 18:31:17

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

jpdupont wrote #300929:

For my part, I would like all links and buttons back on top.

Yeah, full screen the Pages and Forms, drops downs for everything else.

@Phil, desktop IDEs let you click the left or right hand menus off.

#12 2016-09-01 19:26:23

GugUser

jpdupont wrote #300929:

I find that the new presentation makes them inconsistent things. “Publish” is over (write tab), but “Save” is at the bottom (other tabs). Some links above, others below. The beta 2 was in my opinion better organized. (…) For my part, I would like all links and buttons back on top.

The same for me.

Board footer