You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2016-08-10 12:41:28

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 2 released

philwareham wrote #300490:

Just a note that there will be another beta at least before the final release

Any indications of when the next beta might drop, Phil? Thanks in advance.

#62 2016-08-10 12:50:00

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #300587:

Any indications of when the next beta might drop, Phil? Thanks in advance.

Hi Pete, when the tag builder is back in. Sorry, it was a last minute decision to reintroduce the tag builder as if we didn’t then it couldn’t then come back until v4.7 (due to the rule that minor point releases do not introduce new features). Stef is on the case with the tag builder right now.

#63 2016-08-10 12:51:00

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

No apologies needed, Phil – appreciate the update, thank you.

#64 2016-08-15 17:57:40

mrdale
Website

Hey I’d like to bump this request for multi-edit controls at the TOP of the list items… I personally don’t care if it exists in both places (above and below).

Here is my reasoning.

1. It’s a more obvious spot when the lists scroll down for several pages. That is, users are likely to miss the fact that you actually CAN work on multiple items at once.
  2. Saves scrolling. I can hear the mechanics of my scroll wheel rejoice, and the letters on my page up and page down keys will have 90% longer life.

What say you? Amen?

#65 2016-08-15 18:09:26

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Amen.

#66 2016-08-15 20:57:51

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’m not keen on adding duplicate UI elements. The natural flow IMHO is to scroll down a list, hightlighting selections as you go, then at end of list do an action.

#67 2016-08-15 22:05:46

mrdale
Website

I beg to differ. Look around the web. Good UX practice has it overwhelmingly at the top.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to explain to a customer/user that “there’s a thingie down at the very very bottom of your screen that does useful stuff”.

They never find it for themselves.

#68 2016-08-15 23:19:51

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #300652:

I’m not keen on adding duplicate UI elements. The natural flow IMHO is to scroll down a list, hightlighting selections as you go, then at end of list do an action.

Neither am I. It is confusing. As for the natural flow of working, see my initial answer.

One additional point: having the widget at the top of the form will make it much harder to use accessibility wise…

mrdale wrote #300649:

Hey I’d like to bump this request for multi-edit controls at the TOP of the list items… I personally don’t care if it exists in both places (above and below).

(not really amen…)

If you really want it at the top, here is a snippet to add to you custom.css file:

.multi_edit_form {
position: relative;
padding-top: 1.5em; /* space for the multi-edit widget */
}

.multi-edit {
position: absolute;
top: .5em;
}

Adjust values to taste.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#69 2016-08-16 00:47:32

mrdale
Website

phiw13 wrote #300654:

Neither am I. It is confusing. As for the natural flow of working, see my initial answer.

Not really. Unless millions of Gmail users along with users of almost every other online UI I’ve used are confused.

When you are dealing with less than 10 elements there’s no issue, but if you’re building real sites with lots of content, you get hella tired of scrolling to the bottom of a lengthy page every single time.

…and using absolute positioning to hack interface elements is not a robust solution for responsive ui. I already hacked together a jquery solution which works just fine. I just thought TXP could benefit from some tried and true methadology.

#70 2016-08-16 01:50:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote #300655:

Not really. Unless millions of Gmail users along with users of
almost every other online UI I’ve used are confused.

[1] Hmm. You mention Gmail. Have you noticed that those controls are in a fixed position (actually it is a messy construction of iframes)? Always visible, whatever way you select things, easy to reach for the rodent users. And have you ever tried to use Gmail from the keyboard?

[2] I said “confusing” referring to having the widget appear twice on the page.

When you are dealing with less than 10 elements there’s no issue, but if
you’re building real sites with lots of content, you get hella tired of
scrolling to the bottom of a lengthy page every single time.

Let me see, I have a site with ~900 articles, the Article pane displays 50 at the time. I need to bulk edit some articles (e.g. change category), perhaps the 3rd, 10th and 48th in the list. I scroll down the list, select the articles, then do the thing with the multi-edit widget. Having the widget at the top of the page would require me to scroll up again to actually do something. Your scroll down is my scroll up.

Besides, there is that neat key (pair) on every desktop keyboard: “Home” and “end”. And as keyboard user, I’ll note that currently the widget is in the tab-chain, I tab, press spacebar, tab etc. – actually I option-tab in this case, one of those neat Safari features… That kind of thing is pleasing to Screen Readers too.

…and using absolute positioning to hack interface elements is not a
robust solution for responsive ui. I already hacked together a jquery
solution which works just fine. I just thought TXP could benefit from
some tried and true methadology.

Hmm, with the code I gave (suitably adapted to Sandspace theme), it works fine from the iPhoneSE I have at hand, to my iPad, my little MBA to my iMac. It is equally messy (or not, depending on you POV) to use on each device.

I’m not necessarily opposed to the having the widget appear at the top of the page (notwithstanding my workflow), but that would require a serious amount of re-engineering of the widget and page structure along with an (un-)healthy dose of JS to make it work for everybody.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#71 2016-08-16 03:09:59

mrdale
Website

yep, all good.

I’ll accept that It’s just far too hard to move that position, and the way we have it works just fine… onward and upward.

but for those interested in actually moving it with jquery…

$(function() {
  $('.multi-edit').insertBefore($(".txp-listtables")).css({clear: "both",margin: "1rem 0"});
});

#72 2016-08-24 18:55:27

mrdale
Website

Here’s another question/observation.

I see we’re using a svg sprite for all the little icons. Why use that instead of a typeface?

I decided that I didn’t like the interface being so chatty with text. ie you shouldn’t have to see “expand all” next to an icon when the icon with a tooltip would suffice as it does in so many other places.

So with a sprite with margin offset mapping, making the icons larger, or changing color becomes quite a massive chore, whereas with a typeface it would be trivial.

Thoughts?

Board footer