Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-08-08 23:14:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

“Collapse all” button on Pages / Forms / Write panels

Having spend quite a lot of time working on my small MBA recently, I was a bit annoyed at the amount of space used by the collapsable panels in the side bar, particularly on the Forms panel. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a button at the top of those panels to collapse all (close them all) ?

That would have an accessibility side benefit – it would allow less tabbing-through for keyboard users, particularly on the forms panel – which a/ can contain numerous entries in the sidebar and b/ upon save actually reloads the page.

Last edited by phiw13 (2016-08-08 23:16:08)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2016-08-09 08:07:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: “Collapse all” button on Pages / Forms / Write panels

phiw13 wrote #300549:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a button at the top of those panels to collapse all (close them all) ?

Sounds reasonable to me. If Phil can squeeze it into the UI somewhere we can do it easily. Would the complementary Expand All be necessary, do you think? Albeit from your perspective it sounds like you might never use it!

Some way to collapse the entire set would also be a boon for when (if) I manage to successfully permit arbitrary Form groups in some future release. I’ve had a few attempts so far and they’ve all fallen foul of something or other. But one can imagine the day someone creates 10, 15, 20… groups (that I’d love to make drag ‘n drop reorderable), and it’d be a pain to have to close them all one by one after you’ve been editing a while.

Let’s see what Mr. Wareham says and go from there.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2016-08-09 08:47:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #300550:

Sounds reasonable to me. If Phil can squeeze it into the UI somewhere we can do it easily. Would the complementary Expand All be necessary, do you think? Albeit from your perspective it sounds like you might never use it!

I was think a small button before the collapsible items. The Expand All button I had thought about it, but did’t see any real use, from my perspective at least. I won’t object if it is there though.

#4 2016-08-09 09:54:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hmm, interesting. I’m sure I can add a UI link in if someone else wants to code the logic behind it?

#5 2016-08-09 09:58:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #300554:

Hmm, interesting. I’m sure I can add a UI link in if someone else wants to code the logic behind it?

I’ll do it tonight while I’m looking at the tag builder. Or whenever you can get me a mockup of the link.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#6 2016-08-09 10:06:42

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

#7 2016-08-09 10:19:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #300556:

How about this?

Grand. Same place on the Write panel too? Above sort-and-display?

Not sure what use it’d have on the Pages panel as denoted in the thread title… @phiw13?

EDIT: and are you intending to roll the cool left-hand sidebar in 4.6?

Last edited by Bloke (2016-08-09 10:20:14)

#8 2016-08-09 11:01:21

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #300559:

Grand. Same place on the Write panel too? Above sort-and-display?

Not sure what use it’d have on the Pages panel as denoted in the thread title… @phiw13?

EDIT: and are you intending to roll the cool left-hand sidebar in 4.6?

The left-hand side bars are already rolled into core as of yesterday. The only other places I can see this expand/collapse needed (because it is only needed for twisty regions) is the write panel and potentially the Tag builder? Write panel mockup here.

I guess those links will need some aria-x attributes too, will think about which are correct in this instance.

#9 2016-08-09 11:26:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #300560:

The left-hand side bars are already rolled into core as of yesterday.

Woot! My bad, I synced before your latest commits yesterday.

The only other places I can see this expand/collapse needed… is the write panel and potentially the Tag builder?

I concur. Will look at rolling it into the tag builder, as it needs all that AJAXy goodness we discussed yesterday so will require some hefty edits anyway.

aria-x attributes too, will think about which are correct in this instance.

Thanks. Will await instruction in this area.

#10 2016-08-09 12:36:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #300559:

Nah, I don’t think it has any use on the Pages panel, in its current incarnation at least ([small voice]dunno why I added in the thread title[/small voice]). Good point about the Tag Builder overlay.

Quickly looking at the proposed location: perfect, exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

#11 2016-08-09 13:13:14

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Just a note that I’ve added aria-controls to the expand/collapse links now, for accessibility. That necessitates an extra div within the tag builder HTML structure too.

#12 2016-08-09 13:17:53

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #300564:

Just a note that I’ve added aria-controls to the expand/collapse links now, for accessibility. That necessitates an extra div within the tag builder HTML structure too.

No worries. I’ll see what I can do.

Board footer