Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-07-20 17:29:31

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 2 released

Please provide any feedback related to Textpattern 4.6.0 beta 2 released.

Check this opening post before raising an issue, because all fixes that have been applied will be listed below, thanks.

#2 2016-07-20 18:53:06

decode

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta 2 released

Perfect timing! I was planning to do a fresh install of the beta version, now I’m taking beta 2 for a spin. Thank you all for your dedication to this lovely CMS.

#3 2016-07-21 06:26:38

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Updated my dev site with and all works perfectly! Thanks so much for the hard work!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2016-07-22 21:06:42

GugUser

Everything I tried in Textpattern 4.6.0 beta 2 worked fine.

Many thanks for all your work.

There is something I do not like: On wide screens the main text panel is too wide. I think it needs a max-width.

I tried with…

body#page-article {
	max-width: 1020px;
	margin-left: auto;
	margin-right: auto;
}

… but it needs more changes, because the header with the nav are independent and it doesn’t look nice.

What do you mean?

#5 2016-07-22 21:19:37

GugUser

An other thing: On the write page the article “view” has an eye icon.

On a small screen, “view site” is replaced with a house icon. Why? House for home page? For me a house is a house and that icon isn’t nice. I like the eye icon, but I know, the existing eye icon is for article view, not for the site home page view.

What do you think, is there a better icon for view site home page?

#6 2016-07-22 23:46:02

gomedia
Plugin Author

GugUser wrote #300368:

What do you think, is there a better icon for view site home page?

I think a house is wrong – Home normally means “go to Home page of the website you’re on”. In this case it’s being used for “Go to an external website”. An “external link” image would be more logical.

#7 2016-07-23 00:36:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gomedia wrote #300369:

In this case it’s being used for “Go to an external website”. An “external link” image would be more logical.

How does “external link” icon express what the link actually says / does in this case? What the “House icon” actually tries to convey is a link to view the front end part of the website (and the Textpattern admin is actually a subset of that website). In that context, the “House icon” seems reasonably appropriate, even if is less than ideal (and no I haven’t found a better alternative so far).

IOW – the link under discussion is very specific, it is not going to some random external website that is not under control of the currently managed site. and in most TXP installs, that link goes to the root of the (current) domain.

PS – I’m a bit sad that the text string for that link has been replaced by a generic “view site” instead of the title of the website managed by this instance of TXP. That string was the only indication which site is affected by this TXP in this browser tab (think: you have multiple browser tabs open with various TXP tabs for different websites). I understand why Phil changed it that way (the limitations of how the page header is coded/layouted with floats). And note that this is a bit of a developer level nitpicking; end users mostly won’t have different TXP admins for different sites open at the same time.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2016-07-23 06:12:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

GugUser wrote #300368:

is there a better icon for view site home page?

Google images says…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2016-07-23 06:22:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #300370:

I’m a bit sad that the text string for that link has been replaced by a generic “view site” instead of the title of the website managed by this instance of TXP.

I also miss that, as I too have multiple tabs open for multiple sites and now have to rely on the tab bar (as long as I don’t have too many open!) to see which site I’m operating on. But unless Phil can figure out a way to intelligently truncate or CSS-fadeout the site name so it doesn’t take up too much space, I think this is probably the best we can hope for.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#10 2016-07-23 06:35:56

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #300372:

But unless Phil can figure out a way to intelligently truncate or CSS-fadeout the site name so it doesn’t take up too much space, I think this is probably the best we can hope for.

Well is not really difficult to avoid the issue that lead to that change. Build the whole header with flexbox. See as an example how Sandspace theme handles it.

Of course, that requires a bit of CSS reshuffling as far as Hive theme is concerned. Perhaps for a future TXP 4.7?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#11 2016-07-23 07:22:29

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #300373:

Build the whole header with flexbox.

Nice. Oh how I love flexbox. I’ll start dropping subliminal hints into Phil’s inbox every now and again :-)

#12 2016-07-23 08:16:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Hi. If you can provide a flexbox code example for the header area then I’m all for reverting the view site back to site name. The float version was too prone to layout breakage hence why I reluctantly changed it.

We use flexbox on other parts of the layout anyway, so a bit more will be fine. I still sometimes have trouble getting my head around the various flexbox rules. This could still be slipped into 4.6.0 release I think.

Regarding max-width, there already is. I made it quite large as I don’t want to force a restriction on users – you can always make your browser window smaller to lessen the article write width. I thought I’d done s good compromise between wide screens and article write box, but it seems everyone has their preference.

Board footer