Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-07-09 18:50:58

Aeyoun
Website

TxpMag submissions

So, TxpMag seems to be dead and contributions have dried up. I’m assuming the magazine is controlled by people who maybe will read this forum from time to time.

The magazine’s copyright policy requires exclusive content submissions that haven’t been posted elsewhere. If this policy could be lightened to allow partial publishing elsewhere, I’d be willing to contribute longer-form articles that I’ll write on Textpattern to the magazine. To start with, they’ll be articles on migrating from WordPress and advantages offered by Textpattern over WordPress.

To migrate my website I’ll need to create much better tools for handling responsive images; so there’ll be an article and a tutorial on this topic too.

Is there any interest in any content for the magazine? Or is there only interest in regular contributors or a new editor?

#2 2016-07-10 12:59:36

Destry
Website

Re: TxpMag submissions

TXP Magazine has no editor. And a magazine without an editor is a dead magazine, without question. It has no editor because:

1. Running a magazine is a lot of work, and especially if the editor is doing all the work.
  2. For the looooooooooooooooongest time nobody wanted to contribute articles. (It’s not the editor’s job to do all the writing, otherwise it’s not a magazine, it would just be a personal blog.)
  3. The code and presentation is rather broken in some places and it needs a lot of refactoring before shoving more content into it.

There is a great deal of work that goes into running a magazine properly. Somebody needs to edit article submissions. Somebody needs to ensure that once writing starts again, it will keep coming from a variety of authors on a variety of interesting topics. An editorial calendar will need maintained… I could go on and on.

As for copyright policy, that’s for the next chief editor to decide.

So, first appoint a dedicated editor who will actually shoulder the responsibility of running the magazine through thick and thin. Then decide what kind of content is acceptable and schedule a regular stream of it over time. Then refactor the code and presentation in relation to the expected editorial agenda. Edit all auxiliary content (about, advertising, style guide, etc) to jive with the magazine’s new direction, policies, etc.

If that can’t be done, there’s no point doing anything with the magazine. A couple of articles from you doesn’t a magazine make. So if you feel strongly about kick-staring TXP Mag again, you should step up for the editor role first before worrying about writing an article.

Be aware, all aspiring editors, that you will need the blessing and cooperation of Phil and Bloke to do anything because they hold the keys to the jalopy and they’re a little backlogged on projects right now.

Board footer