Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#133 2016-07-01 07:24:39

makss
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

philwareham wrote #300080:

The logo click to default admin page could be implanted I guess – what’s the feeling on this?

Static link can be made on the logo on /textpattern/index.php It would be enough.

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#134 2016-07-01 07:26:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

makss wrote #300078:

I see a great headline “Articles”, I want to get there, I click the mouse on it.

I don’t think that works in the context of something like the Textpattern Admin interface. That headline is more akin to the title of an individual article. No need to make it clickable.

BTW, usually click on the logo leads to the site(admin-side) root. We have the option “Default administration panel”, and it may indicate where to go to click on the logo.

Again in this specific context, that never bothered me, to be honest. But then again, I won’t object to it being clickable. On the flip side, that would be one more clickable object in the tab chain.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#135 2016-07-01 08:07:52

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #300084:

On the flip side, that would be one more clickable object in the tab chain.

True. I want to avoid that really. Is this navigation really much of an issue? I must click by mouse about few thousand times a day and don’t think about it once.

#136 2016-07-01 08:13:11

makss
Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote #300084:

I don’t think that works in the context of something like the Textpattern Admin interface. That headline is more akin to the title of an individual article. No need to make it clickable.

We can test to understand it is convenient or not. For testing, you can add these lines:

$(document).ready(function() {
    $(".txp-heading").wrap('<a href="?event='+textpattern.event+'" />');
});

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#137 2016-07-01 08:15:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #300085:

Is this navigation really much of an issue?

Only for screen readers or keyboard users I guess. An extra tab / extra anchor to read. Jumping to the user’s default admin page might be a handy shortcut. As it stands, the only time that’s called is on login, which seems a bit of a waste of a setting.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#138 2016-07-01 08:24:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

makss wrote #300078:

I see a great headline “Articles”, I want to get there, I click the mouse on it.

I can see the benefit to this: a handy way to clear your current search filters. At the moment, you either have to return to the menu (two taps minimum; three on mobile) or:

1. go to the search box
  2. empty out the contents
  3. click the Search lollipop to search for ‘nothing’, which returns the full list

Neither are convenient, and only the first is logical in terms of UX. Who in their right mind searches for nothing to get everything?!

But, as phiw13 implies, if the feature is only available on some (list) panels it could be potentially confusing when people click the headline on other panels and nothing happens. And it isn’t the most obvious place to click to reset your filters.

If it was there, I’d probably use it. But if it potentially adds confusion / messes up the tab chain then I’ll carry on as normal. Dunno. Will take guidance on whether this is broadly useful.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#139 2016-07-01 08:33:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #300085:

True. I want to avoid that really. Is this navigation really much of an issue? I must click by mouse about few thousand times a day and don’t think about it once.

Generally or specifically adding a link to the logo? For the latter, apart for the extra tab (keyboard user…), it is not an issue, and even that extra tab press would only be minor.

if you ask about the navigation in general: personally I find it one of the better navigation systems out there – both as a keyboard user, a sometimes mouse user and a fatty finger user on my iPad. The absence of the hover-to-open effect is a real pleasure (I absolutely, totally, dislike and even despise those menu scripts that force hover-to-open, such as the jQuery-ui script). Ideally the script behind the navigation would allow something like the way the OS X menu bar works (an I think that is the same on Windows): you click once on any top-level menu-item, from then on you can hover to show the sub-menus. But a first click-to-focus is required.

#140 2016-07-01 08:42:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #300088:

I can see the benefit to this: a handy way to clear your current search filters. At the moment, you either have to return to the menu (two taps minimum; three on mobile) or:

1. go to the search box
  2. empty out the contents
  3. click the Search lollipop to search for ‘nothing’, which returns the full list

Neither are convenient, and only the first is logical in terms of UX. Who in their right mind searches for nothing to get everything?!

I wonder if it would be complicated to add a clear search button to that widget, next to the lollipop (nice name btw). Pressing that would return the view to the full list of the panel. That would be similar to how OS X handles the searchbar in a Finder window (Command F): if, after performing a search, you clear the search field, it returns to the view (list) the window (tab) had before the search.

#141 2016-07-01 08:47:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #300090:

I wonder if it would be complicated to add a clear search button to that widget, next to the lollipop

If there’s space, sure. That’d be way better than a potentially obscure clickable link on the heading, as it’d be more localised to the search action.

I’d have to defer such a decision to the UI guru, though. Space is already tight on mobile for the search widget as it is now.

#142 2016-07-01 08:59:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #300091:

If there’s space, sure. That’d be way better than a potentially obscure clickable link on the heading, as it’d be more localised to the search action.

Right now, with my Sandspace theme, the search field (input field) can display ~24 characters on an iPhone SE, portrait mode. I could make the input field narrower to accommodate the additional button, I don’t think that would affect the functionality of the widget much. Sandspace use a much larger font-size than Hive, particularly for mobile screens. (IIRC, MobileSafari search field displays 3 characters less, but don’t quote me on that, I don’t have the iPhone next to me, atm).

#143 2016-07-01 09:14:13

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #300087:

Only for screen readers or keyboard users I guess. An extra tab / extra anchor to read. Jumping to the user’s default admin page might be a handy shortcut. As it stands, the only time that’s called is on login, which seems a bit of a waste of a setting.

Sorry, I meant the two-click menu system, not the keyboard navigation which is obviously important. I just don’t see having to click the menu twice as an issue whatsoever. The extra link on the logo is a fairly good idea though – if someone can provide code to allow it to link to whatever the default admin page is set to (including a text alt/aria for accessibility).

#144 2016-07-01 09:15:36

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #300091:

I’d have to defer such a decision to the UI guru, though. Space is already tight on mobile for the search widget as it is now.

This sounds like helpful UX – I will think about a good UI solution.

Board footer