Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2016-06-21 08:54:38

hidalgo
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

I’ve just installed the beta and immediately noticed that the main navigation menu on the admin side now requires a click to open/drop-down each menu (instead of just a hover). Is this a bug I’m seeing, or something that can be made an option?

The current behaviour slows down the navigation enough to be annoying, as every action now requires two clicks.

#122 2016-06-21 09:02:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

hidalgo wrote #299891:

the main navigation menu on the admin side now requires a click to open/drop-down each menu (instead of just a hover). Is this a bug

Nope. It’s by design to cater for touch devices, which don’t have hover. I believe someone has implemented a modded hive theme (somewhere…) which reinstates hover at the expense of touch — or does both, I can’t recall. I’m sure someone will furnish you the link.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#123 2016-06-21 09:03:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hidalgo wrote #299891:

I’ve just installed the beta and immediately noticed that the main navigation menu on the admin side now requires a click to open/drop-down each menu (instead of just a hover). Is this a bug I’m seeing, or something that can be made an option?

No, it is intended behaviour to allow use on touchscreen devices as well as desktop – since there is no way of accurately detecting whether a device is touchscreen enabled or not. This has already been discussed ad infinitum here on the forum and won’t be changed in 4.6, sorry.

This is no different from how your OS handles menus really, be it Windows or MacOS/OSX.

#124 2016-06-21 09:09:24

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@hidalgo see this thread for the discussion referenced by bloke and philwareham.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#125 2016-06-21 14:26:21

Destry
Website

Fixed my issues, seemingly. Thanks for teaching me something about command-line sql statements, Bloke. That made it worthwhile.

#126 2016-06-30 17:55:13

nixcamic

Hey y’all, I’m running txp 4.6 beta on Ubuntu 16.04/Lighttpd/PHP7 with a database I brought over from txp 4.5.6. When I try to publish an article or edit a section I get the error:

User_Error “Unknown column ‘description’ in ‘field list’”
in /var/www/html/mic/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php at line 405.
adminErrorHandler()
textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php:405 trigger_error()
textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php:479 safe_query()
textpattern/include/txp_article.php:289 safe_insert()
textpattern/include/txp_article.php:126 article_post()
textpattern/index.php:211 include()

Edit: Running touch * in the textpattern/update directory triggers the update scripts and fixes this. I was still left with both of the 0000-00-00(upgrade script) and 0000-00-00 00:00:00 errors but those are documented elsewhere.

Last edited by nixcamic (2016-06-30 22:57:39)

#127 2016-06-30 18:34:20

makss
Plugin Author
Website

Request: A bit usability for Hive Theme

Previously, I used the classic theme and reload the page was accessible in one click. I would like this opportunity and for Hive Theme.

Example:
1. Open Articles Tab /textpattern/index.php?event=list
2. Search something – Click Search button
Question: As for a single click return to /textpattern/index.php?event=list ?

IMHO, The simplest is to add a hyperlink /textpattern/index.php?event=list to <h1 class="txp-heading">Articles</h1>

The same would be good to do on the pages:
/textpattern/index.php?event=image
/textpattern/index.php?event=file
/textpattern/index.php?event=link
/textpattern/index.php?event=discuss
/textpattern/index.php?event=section
/textpattern/index.php?event=admin

Last edited by makss (2016-06-30 18:39:35)

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#128 2016-06-30 23:25:41

gomedia
Plugin Author

makss wrote #300067:

Previously, I used the classic theme and reload the page was accessible in one click. I would like this opportunity and for Hive Theme.

Classic, Remora & Hive themes all previously had top-level menu click-through – e.g. click Content to get to Write tab.

There’s only one theme in 4.6 (a new Hive) and along with click-through, the hover/submenu functionality has been removed as well. I’ve got a plugin that brings this back and adds other workflow improving features. Let me know if you want to play.

Having said that, your request for a “return to list” link would be a great idea – especially if that link takes the user back to the original “page” in the list from where the search was performed. But that’s what the “Back” button is for!

Last edited by gomedia (2016-06-30 23:37:07)

#129 2016-07-01 01:15:53

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gomedia wrote #300072:

Classic, Remora & Hive themes all previously had top-level menu click-through – e.g. click Content to get to Write tab.

Click-trough to what exactly? Or more precisely, to which of the sub level menu items for each top-level item? For my work flow(s), clicking on ‘Content’ bringing me to the ‘Write’ tab is not adequate at all. Similarly: slicing on ‘admin’ brings you to ? ‘Diagnostics’ because it is the first item on the list? Nope, useless for me. IOW, major usability issue; not to mention, serious problem for non-mouse users.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#130 2016-07-01 01:35:56

gomedia
Plugin Author

phiw13 wrote #300074:

Click-trough to what exactly? Or more precisely, to which of the sub level menu items for each top-level item? For my work flow(s), clicking on ‘Content’ bringing me to the ‘Write’ tab is not adequate at all. Similarly: slicing on ‘admin’ brings you to ? ‘Diagnostics’ because it is the first item on the list? Nope, useless for me.

Click-through to an item of the user’s choosing. For instance, the old Admin to Users click-through wasn’t much use, now I can click Admin & go straight to Prefs.

IOW, major usability issue; not to mention, serious problem for non-mouse users.

Yes, that’s my point, it’s all about usability … even for us mouse users.

#131 2016-07-01 05:43:16

makss
Plugin Author
Website

“Don’t Make Me Think” © Steve Krug

I see a great headline “Articles”, I want to get there, I click the mouse on it.

Now I know that you can not click on it but still have several times tried to click on it.
It seems to me that such basic things we need to do at once, instead of leaving them for plugins.

BTW, usually click on the logo leads to the site(admin-side) root. We have the option “Default administration panel”, and it may indicate where to go to click on the logo.

aks_cron : Cron inside Textpattern | aks_article : extended article_custom tag
aks_cache : cache for TxP | aks_dragdrop : Drag&Drop categories (article, link, image, file)

#132 2016-07-01 06:39:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The logo click to default admin page could be implanted I guess – what’s the feeling on this?

Board footer