Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-06-02 13:01:57

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

Please provide any feedback related to Textpattern 4.6.0 beta released.

Check this opening post before raising an issue, because all fixes that have been applied will be listed below, thanks.

——————————————————

Bugs squashed, no need to report these:

Last edited by Bloke (2016-06-02 22:50:43)

#2 2016-06-02 14:52:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

A few honourable mentions about the beta release:

• For the past year or so, it’s been in use on at least ten or twelve customer-facing sites that I know of. This is a testament to the great pains we go through to try and keep the master branch stable.
  • In terms of code alone (i.e. excluding comments and our whitespace changes from tabs to spaces), it’s nearly 60% bigger than 4.5.7. While this might seem a bad thing on the surface, given our ‘lightweight / small is beautiful’ mantra, most of the code size comes from migrating to a more object-oriented design, which splits things into discrete chunks of functionality in loads of smaller files for an easier to maintain system, and should help us to release way more often than once every Olympics :-) More of this on the way.
  • Ruud and Oleg have done some amazing optimisations in the parser and the system overall to help boost the performance. More of this on the way, too.
  • The recent move from (closed) svn to (open) git as our versioning system has resulted in an unparalleled number of pull requests, bug / improvement reports, content translations, and patches from the community. Thank you to all who have contributed so far, and to those who continue to do so. You’re all marvellous.

A couple of extra caveats to note about the release:

• Make sure your MySQL admin user has INDEX permissions before upgrading, in addition to the usual permissions it had before. Some hosts might not have it on by default, or you may have manually restricted the permissions in the past. Txp now requires it for upgrades.
  • Anyone who’s using MLP and wants to try Txp 4.6.0, contact me for a new(er) version or install the code from the MLP v4.6.0 branch FIRST. Your site will break if you try and upgrade using the existing MLP. Note that the admin-side interface is not yet beautified in line with all the UI changes that have taken place, so it looks like a complete dog’s breakfast on the admin-side, but at least your public site will continue to function! I’ll put some time into retooling the admin UI over the next few weeks. Anyone willing to lend a hand in either design, ideas or code is more than welcome to chip in.
  • Please do hound plugin developers to update their code. Me included. The core code base is stable enough now that we won’t make any killer changes before final release, so if you have any must-have plugins out there that need tweaking to run, get in touch with the developer or ask the community for a maintainer to step forward. Or offer to maintain it yourself on GitHub, as a few previous non-coders have kindly done. It’s a great way to learn PHP, and is how I started here :-) I’d never seen a line of PHP before I opened dru_random_image back in 2006.

So please get testing and report all issues you have so we can get this release polished up and move onto the exciting next chapter in Txp’s evolution. Happy site-making.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2016-06-02 14:55:30

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

By the way, Pete Cooper has kindly set up a demo site do you can try the beta out in comfort…

http://www.textpattern.co/demo

#4 2016-06-02 15:00:37

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Upgraded https://patetech.info/ first because I always start there.

It seems to have broken the tags section on the archives page: https://patetech.info/archives/

which is generated by

<txp:tru_tags_list break="li" wraptag="ul" />

I’ll have to look into it. Or whip up another solution.

#5 2016-06-02 18:26:44

towndock
Website

Could a bullet list of key upgrades / changes on 4.6 be provided?

#6 2016-06-02 19:13:21

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

^ Looks like HISTORY.txt has that list.

#7 2016-06-02 19:55:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Second opinion requested (tired eyes).

According to HISTORY.TXT, category_list now accepts html_id as an attribute, but I can’t get it to take.

Code:

<txp:category_list html_id="woo" />

Output from stock 4.6.0-beta release (line breaks because tired eyes):

<a href="http://example.com/category/hope-for-the-future/">Hope for the future</a><br>
<a href="http://example.com/category/meaningful-labor/">Meaningful labor</a><br>
<a href="http://example.com/category/reciprocal-affection/">Reciprocal affection</a>

There’s no woo, yo.

Last edited by gaekwad (2016-06-02 19:57:51)

#8 2016-06-02 20:06:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #299432:

category_list now accepts html_id as an attribute, but I can’t get it to take.

Try adding a wraptag and see what happens. Without that, there’s nothing for the html_id to attach to (it’s an ID and there can be only one of them for validation purposes).

‘tis a bit of an odd attribute as it only applies if there’s a wrapper. We have other attributes like that, e.g. class. Sometimes it only attaches itself to the wraptag, and is ignored otherwise. On other tags it bounces down and becomes attached to every element in the list (usually if there’s a break supplied, but not always).

Either way, if there’s any clarification in documentation required, please raise it or suggest alternatives, thanks!

Last edited by Bloke (2016-06-02 20:10:13)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#9 2016-06-02 20:08:51

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #299433:

Try adding a wraptag and try again. Without that, there’s nothing for the html_id to attach to (it’s an ID and there can be only one of them for validation purposes).

That’s it. Good catch. Thank you.

#10 2016-06-02 22:47:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Two bugs squashed

EDIT: see first post for list of bugs fixed.

Last edited by Bloke (2016-06-02 22:52:32)

#11 2016-06-02 23:47:52

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Updated http://www.datebasedarchives.cmsstyles.com/

I manually updated the template to the latest version and then made the changes necessary to get them working again.

And unrelated to the upgrade I found a bug in the way it handled numeric categories and learned what the isset() function in PHP does and when to use it.

Oh, and added the tag registry stuff to the installed copy of smd_if. Everyone who develops plugins needs to remember that matters now – at least in debugging mode.

#12 2016-06-03 02:47:31

gomedia
Plugin Author

Great news and thanks!

I hope that, when the dust settles, there’s a fundraising for the Devs … so us mortals can drop in a few coins of appreciation.

Board footer