Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-11-05 20:17:03

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_suparchive - article archive list

Whoops, sorry about that. Thats what happens when you change the name of a plugin in the middle of writing it. There are some working examples here.

The docs will be updated in the next version of the plugin which could be as soon as later tonight.

I’ve added support for categories along with a couple other things. Still working on the forms support…

Last edited by wilshire (2004-11-05 20:17:36)

#14 2004-11-05 23:28:49

andrea
Website

oh it’s working great, thanks so much for this easy-peasy plugin. ;) it’s most excellent.

Last edited by andrea (2004-11-05 23:34:22)

#15 2004-11-06 18:19:28

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Another new day, another new version of the rss_suparchive. You know the drill by now…

Working Examples

Full Documentation

Download

Version 0.3
  • Added support for comma separated list of categories
  • Added limit attribute to limit the number of articles returned to allow for use with as a recent articles list
  • Added css style rssAlt to every other line to allow for flip/flop effect

I’m still thinking about the forms support. After looking into it, to answer your question gonzo, I think more plugin developers don’t add forms support because its more difficult than just spitting out some HTML. I’ve only seen a couple plugins that support forms and paging and I’m still trying to get my head around it.

Plus, seems as though supporting forms with this plugin would cancel out most of what it does. Couldn’t article_custom or chh_article_custom be used to do the same thing? Or am I missing something here?

I’m happy to add the support because I’d like to learn how. I’m just wondering if there’s a real value in doing so in this case.

Last edited by wilshire (2004-11-08 03:55:11)

#16 2004-11-07 02:12:24

philipashlock
Website

Hi Rob (whilshire),
It’s been a while since I’ve poked around my textpattern installation, so I can’t quite figure this out, but the way my archives are set up doesn’t quite work with the way links are generated for articles with this plugin.

My archives are created so that the URL looks like : www.domainname.com/section/10/name-of-article

This plugin however doesn’t expect there to be the article name as part of the URL. If you know if there is an easy way to modify the plugin please let me konw, but in the mean time I’ll just poke around myself. If I figure it out I’ll submit my modification.

Thank you so much for this plugin, it’s really wonderful. Let’s all work together to make it even better. If I find the time, I plan to add the ability to show an archive of authors.

#17 2004-11-07 05:52:30

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Philip – As far as I know there’s no reason the article links that the plugin generates wouldn’t work. Have you tried to use the plugin and seen a problem?

“If I find the time, I plan to add the ability to show an archive of authors.”

Are you just looking to show the articles grouped by author as well?

#18 2004-11-07 06:12:19

philipashlock
Website

Here is the page where I’m trying to use your plugin:

URL was removed

So yes, I have used the plugin and seen the problem. It seems that the plugin assumes that the URL structure doesn’t include the last part with the hyphenated title. In other plugins I see a function called something like doPermlink() to create the proper URL, would it make sense to use something like that for the URL’s in this case?

I would like to be able to show articles grouped by author, but first I’d like to get your plugin to work with its current functionality. I have a little bit of experience creating plugins, I put together the pfa_beginning plugin but I’ve yet to fully understand how to modify your plugin to achieve everything I’d like it to.

Any help in getting this working would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
phil

Last edited by philipashlock (2004-11-07 11:05:04)

#19 2004-11-07 06:21:06

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Phil – When I try to view an article with the URL http://auraluna.philitopia.com/archives/7/locked-out-of-pennycandy I still only see the archive listing.

Are you able to see the article at that URL?

#20 2004-11-07 06:33:29

philipashlock
Website

Strange. I put your plugin into a form that separates the archives page into if_individual_article and if_article_list and that made your URL’s seem to work on my site, but it also seems to generate the result of the plugin five times. Do you know why this might be and why I now have to possible URLs for any article – one with the hyphenated title and one without. Thanks

#21 2004-11-07 06:44:29

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Hmm…looks like its outputting the archive once for each article. I’ve never tried using the plugin on a form, just a page. I also post my articles in one section and display the archive in another but the plugin still generates the link to the correct section.

Try adding this line to the plugin somewhere and see if it helps but I’m not sure it will make a difference.
<code>
$GLOBALS[‘is_article_list’] = true;
</code>

Last edited by wilshire (2004-11-07 06:48:27)

#22 2004-11-07 06:46:34

proph3t

Does your category list allow more than two categories, as i have about 4 that need to be included. This feature would be awesome!

#23 2004-11-07 06:49:05

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Yes, as many as you’d like to include.

#24 2004-11-07 07:00:54

philipashlock
Website

Ok, now that I understand what’s going on, I’ve created a separate section to use for your plugin. I don’t think that it’s possible to use your plugin for the archives page of a particular section because it will cause the problem that I was having. In order to separate a listing of articles for a section from a particular article in that section you must use a form that will separate the display between

<code>
<txp:if_individual_article> and <txp:if_article_list>
</code>

It would be really nice to be able to use this plugin from within a form so as to be able to use sections to display a list of the articles within that section. Currently this is not possible.

Thanks for the plugin though. It’s wonderful. Also thanks for helping me figure this out, I now have a better understanding of why I was getting the results of your plugin on the pages for the individual article.

Last edited by philipashlock (2004-11-07 07:01:56)

Board footer