Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2013-06-05 04:51:51

floodfish
Website

Re: smd_featured: Quickly pull articles to your home / landing pages

Thanks, Stef! That beta seems to work.

One bug I notice with it: long titles (long enough to break to multiple lines) mess up the grid. I think giving .smd_featured_table div { vertical-align: top; } will fix it, though I haven’t tested cross-browser.

#74 2013-06-05 07:59:34

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

floodfish wrote:

One bug I notice with it: long titles (long enough to break to multiple lines) mess up the grid.

Thanks for letting me know. The plugin CSS is pretty lame so I’m looking forward to 4.6 where I can use the shiny responsive grid layout. In the meantime I’ve applied your band-aid, thanks again.

Last edited by Bloke (2013-06-05 08:05:09)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#75 2015-01-04 07:21:54

wavesource

Hi Stef – some of my clients have become cripples without smd_featured – however, they note that if they sort using two digit integer, eg. 13, it is treated the same as 1 – is this expected behaviour, ie. feat_position = 1 and feat_position = 13 are both seen as coming before feat_position = 2?

#76 2015-01-04 23:39:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

wavesource wrote #287071:

if they sort using two digit integer, eg. 13, it is treated the same as 1 – is this expected behaviour,

Yes, it’s a… ahem… “feature”. I started out with only permitting all-numeric sort orders but that resulted in annoying and awkward behaviour when you wanted to insert something in a sequential list (e.g. you had to renumber all the other article positions). So I changed the system to allow anything (up to 16 chars) to be a sort value. Thus you could use cuttlefish, halibut, seahorse, and squid as sort values. If you wanted to insert something in the second-to-last position you could use shark.

That’s a double-edged annoyance for numbers. Inserting something into the penultimate position of the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4 can be easily achieved by adding 3a. But, as you found, this backfires when you go into double digits unless you have the presence of mind to prefix single-digit sort values with a 0.

The upshot is that I feel it’s more handy to be able to quickly insert values than it is to cater for true numeric sequencing. But I could maybe add it as a plugin option if it’s causing a major issue. Or, depending on the number of articles in your featured chains, you could suggest your clients use alphabetic sequences a, b, c, d,… since that gives them 26 articles to play with instead of 9 before they have to double-up (za, zb, zc, …) while still retaining the ability to insert in the original sequence (ca, cb, cc, ….)

Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but I hope that helps somewhat. Let me know if you think an option for true numeric sequences would be beneficial and I’ll see what I can do.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#77 2016-04-08 12:01:12

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Hi, I get the following error messages on 4.6:
Use of undefined constant NULLDATETIME - assumed 'NULLDATETIME'
Unknown column 'NULLDATETIME' in 'where clause'
Of course tags also need registration, but that is not so bad…

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#78 2016-04-08 21:00:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #298554:

Use of undefined constant NULLDATETIME - assumed 'NULLDATETIME'

Yeah, late breaking changes in core. I need to replace those instances with a simple null. Thanks for the nudge, I’ll try and get to this plugin as soon as I can. I’m going through them one by one.

#79 2016-04-09 07:54:41

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote #298557:

I need to replace those instances with a simple null.

Almost. Where it says = NULLDATETIME, you’d write IS NULL. And != NULLDATETIME would become NOT IS NULL. This is the reason the constant was removed. It couldn’t be solved by changing the constant value. (Stef no doubt knows this, but it might help other plugin devs with similar problems).

#80 2016-04-09 16:49:24

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

@Bloke and Ruud, thank you both for the explanation; I’m going to fix that till the next version.

Nicolas

#81 2016-04-13 12:26:53

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

@Stef; I know that it’s not usual but some of my articles do not have any title (just an url title) and they can’t be feautured as there is nothing to click in the plugin panel for these articles. Maybe you could add the article ID in the future or add Untitled like in the Articles tab in thise case…

Nicolas

#82 2016-04-13 14:13:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #298599:

add Untitled like in the Articles tab in thise case…

Good call, I’ll do that in the next version. Thanks.

#83 2016-04-13 14:23:41

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #298601:

Good call, I’ll do that in the next version. Thanks.

Great; if you could add the article ID it would also be easier to know which Untitled article to select.

Nicolas

#84 2016-04-13 23:53:15

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

NicolasGraph wrote #298602:

if you could add the article ID it would also be easier to know which Untitled article to select.

Will do.

Board footer