Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2016-03-02 10:19:57

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Language choice by authors into the "Authors" page.

@Devs

What do you think about this new feature for the current TXP 4.6 branch?

Choosing the language by authors within the “Authors page” for the Textpattern interface (aka wet_native but with a much better support).

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#2 2016-03-02 10:49:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Language choice by authors into the "Authors" page.

Pat64 wrote #298104:

Choosing the language by authors within the “Authors page” for the Textpattern interface (aka wet_native but with a much better support).

I’d love it, but probably not this close to a 4.6 release. Unless someone thinks it can be shoehorned in very quickly. It’s not a massive undertaking, after all.

With my anti-project-creep hat on, I think this makes sense to include as we move towards a more multi-lingual Textpattern experience out of the box, which is slated for a version or three’s time.

In tandem with this and a few table changes to allow multi-lingual content to be stored, I’m considering a new callback in load_lang() which would allow plugins to alter language strings far more simply than today.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2016-03-02 11:43:35

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

I just sent a donation to Mister Blocke because I love its answer (and to motivate him).

http://stefdawson.com/images/Mugs/128.jpg

;)

Last edited by Pat64 (2016-03-02 11:47:41)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#4 2016-03-02 12:14:07

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Pat64 wrote #298107:

I just sent a donation to Mister Blocke because I love its answer (and to motivate him).

Motivation received with thanks :-)

We should probably raise this as an enhancement Issue on GitHub so it remains on our radar. The whole multi-lingual thing could do with its own Issue, with a list of things to check off as we move towards completion of the feature.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#5 2016-03-03 09:27:29

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Just in case you missed it: wet_native already allow users to choose an admin-side langage under the Authors tab.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#6 2016-03-03 11:25:02

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve opened an issue to track this on GitHub for you.

#7 2016-03-08 17:55:41

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

;)
Thank you Phil.

Patrick.

#8 2016-11-26 01:52:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Part one of this is done so wet_native is no longer required. Note that it’s not implemented on the Authors panel (as per the request), but on the Admin->Languages panel so that users may freely choose their own admin-side language. Currently, they have gained the ability to upload Textpacks, which permits overriding language strings. This will probably be revisited in the coming weeks, because it should be an administrator-only task.

Until the panel layout is improved, the Show details toggle isn’t much use to non-privileged users. That will also be addressed soon.

Finally, for sites with only a single language installed, we may elect to hide the entire Languages menu/panel from non-privileged users. This may require some alterations to the way we build menus, so this will be deferred to a later date.

Last edited by Bloke (2016-11-26 01:54:35)

#9 2016-11-26 05:54:41

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Thank you lot, Steff.

I started to play with and all is perfect ;)

Patrick.

#10 2016-11-26 07:31:35

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Great so far ! One plugin less, more flexibility to the various users.

Bloke wrote #303001:

Currently, they have gained the ability to upload Textpacks, which permits overriding language strings. This will probably be revisited in the coming weeks, because it should be an administrator-only task.

That seriously scares me (as an administrator). Only an admin should be able to do that (or at maximum Publisher and Managing Editor).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#11 2016-11-26 11:57:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #303003:

[Textpack upload] Only an admin should be able to do that (or at maximum Publisher and Managing Editor).

You’re right. I’ll fix that as part of Phil’s language panel proposal. I like the idea of the panel, but I don’t know if a grid is as easy to scan, visually, to find a language or see if one’s available for update. The current list/table is a waste of space, though.

I wonder if there’s some neat way to filter the grid to only show installed languages or all languages – something that’s remembered on each visit to the page. Less to parse with your eyes to see if an update is required to the currently installed languages, but only a click away to reveal all if you want to add a new one?

#12 2016-11-26 12:44:17

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #303005:

You’re right. I’ll fix that as part of Phil’s language panel proposal. I like the idea of the panel, but I don’t know if a grid is as easy to scan, visually, to find a language or see if one’s available for update. The current list/table is a waste of space, though.

Something like this (quick WIP / draft).

I’ve looking at it the past few days (un poquito solo), I think the color coding makes things visually more complicated than needed. Quick idea: just bolding the string “installed” would be better and eventually adding some sort of icon in the top/right corner for the “installed” cells. The .warning class could then be used to highlight the cell when an update is available.

I wonder if there’s some neat way to filter the grid to only show installed languages or all languages – something that’s remembered on each visit to the page. Less to parse with your eyes to see if an update is required to the currently installed languages, but only a click away to reveal all if you want to add a new one?

That would be kinda nice, I think.

Last edited by phiw13 (2016-11-26 13:00:23)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer