Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-11-03 19:54:03

zero
Website

Textpattern Themes

I notice that the Themes link on the top nav here points to the docs page about Creating Textpattern Themes. Not what I would expect.

When visiting textpattern.com home page I notice an equal impossibility to find themes. A click on the Templates link leads to another unexpected result: “I enjoy your site very much” at http://themes.textpattern.com/.
I may well be mistaken that there used to be a link from the home page to Textgarden at one time and I understand why this would be removed.

But my point is: Textpattern appears to be a CMS without themes.

A google search for “textpattern themes” shows all links on the first results page going to out of date resources with #1 pointing to Textpattern Resources (newest theme almost 3 years old) and #2 to docs page mentioned above.

Imho, this gives the wrong impression to new users. Your opinion might differ if you are not interested in attracting newbie users but have a different audience in mind. But if you agree with me, then this could be quickly rectified:

1. Use themes.textpattern.com for the time being as a brief note that “This site will host working Textpattern Themes in the near future. In the meantime TXP Themes has mobile friendly themes that use Textpattern and Bootstrap with a link to txpthemes.com
  2. Change the wording on the Textpattern home page from ‘Templates’ to ‘Themes’
  3. Change the forum link above that says Themes to either point to actual themes at txpthemes.com or point it to themes.textpattern.com with its new note and link as in #1 above

Bert has contributed 12 perfectly working and good looking themes with his creative use of Textpattern and not linking to them from the forum or txp.com devalues Textpattern as well as his hard work, imho.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2015-11-04 11:32:45

zero
Website

Re: Textpattern Themes

I just discovered it is worse than I thought. The link from this forum (Themes above) points to textpattern.com/themes but redirects to http://www.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_Textpattern_themes. But then on that page the Themes link points to textgarden.org which is a parked site full of ads.

Whoever is responsible for links on Textpattern sites, please sort it.

(This is a non-political broadcast on behalf of me and other non-political users)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#3 2015-11-04 11:36:32

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I will sort this when I get a spare moment.

#4 2015-11-25 17:07:35

zero
Website

philwareham wrote #296424:

I will sort this when I get a spare moment.

It won’t take 5 minutes but if you really can’t find a spare moment, can’t the moderators be trusted with basic website maintenance such as this?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#5 2015-11-25 17:14:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Sure, go ahead.

If you want me to do it, then please raise an issue in the forum repo issues list otherwise it will get overlooked.

#6 2015-11-25 18:37:03

zero
Website

WANTED

Moderator with access to this forum and textpattern.com to alter links as descibed above accordingly.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#7 2015-11-25 22:16:11

jakob
Admin
Website

Peter, you don’t need any special access rights, just an account on github. I’ve raised an issue on your behalf as Phil asked so that it’s on his radar. I’ve tried to collect together your different points. If I’ve missed something, please mention, or simply add it to the issue on github yourself. Hope that was helpful to everyone!

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#8 2015-11-26 07:39:18

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Thanks Jakob, I’ll flag this for the next release.

#9 2015-11-26 13:16:41

zero
Website

Not at all what I expected. This is a 5 minute job to alter a very bad Textpattern impression and give newbies a taste of Textpattern with a theme. But it’s over 3 weeks since I raised the issue here and now, it seems, the issue is flagged to be done for the next release. Which is when?

As I said above, surely a moderator has access to textpattern.com and this forum to do basic site maintenance tasks such as this. Do we really have to be so dependent on Phil?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#10 2015-11-26 15:02:43

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

zero wrote #296413:

When visiting textpattern.com home page I notice an equal impossibility to find themes. A click on the Templates link leads to another unexpected result: “I enjoy your site very much” at http://themes.textpattern.com/.

Thanks for your report. This issue has been fixed.

#11 2015-11-26 15:41:51

zero
Website

Thanks Robert. I’ve asked Bert to post an appropriate note on txpthemes.com/about

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer