Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2015-10-22 06:25:17

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Textpattern user group meetup: Bristol, UK - autumn 2015

The docs site I want to launch around the same time as the 4.6 release. The .com site will have to follow after that release. The .com site and docs site share CSS code and some layout so work I do on docs counts towards the .com site in the end. It would be great if the .com site relaunched alongside the 4.6 release and docs but it probably isn’t likely at the moment.

#62 2015-10-24 22:24:55

mwr
Website

So it looks like docs are the priority for now. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Mark

#63 2015-10-25 08:22:50

dos

Just want to say how much I appreciate the effort of all people involved in bringing Textpattern to the next level! Keep it up!

“HaHa. Your medium is dying.” –Nelson Muntz, Springfield.

#64 2015-10-25 12:13:35

Destry
Website

philwareham wrote #296107:

The docs site I want to launch around the same time as the 4.6 release. The .com site will have to follow after that release. The .com site and docs site share CSS code and some layout so work I do on docs counts towards the .com site in the end. It would be great if the .com site relaunched alongside the 4.6 release and docs but it probably isn’t likely at the moment.

Regardless of .com launch date, there’s quite a bit of content work needing done there, and content is the first priority around which design then follows, giving design it’s final direction, ideally speaking. So it would be advantageous to have someone working on the .com content now.

This is exactly what the awesome GatherContent service is for, but a savvy team can just as well do it using Google docs or likely even on GitHub as .textile files.

How I’ve often handled this, indeed is the usual process in the pro ranks, is:

1. begin with an inventory spreadsheet (and low and behold there is one)
  2. add a column for new copy “drafts” (just done), which provides a link out to where the draft file is located (e.g., Goog doc, GitHub .textile file, etc)
  3. begin drafting/editing those files.

Then when you’re ready to assemble the new .com site, you simply use the inventory to find the respective pieces of copy and plug them in. Even better you consider that finished copy for how it might influence your site design, architecture, behavior, etc. GitHub is probably better for being able to raise issues.

Point is, mwr could be making progress there despite the site not launching in January. In fact, it might even facilitate things in that respect. I’m happy to have mwr’s help on docs, but even without it I should have docs done by end of January when 4.6 is scheduled for release. Docs will even be quite usable before that point.

Board footer