Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-10-17 13:38:02

Destry
Website

[now obsolete] plugin inventory

Edit: This effort has been scrapped. – Destry

A dynamic, searchable plugin repo for the community has been a repeating topic for the better part of a decade, and may be on repeat for a decade more. But that doesn’t mean we can’t properly flag and tag the plugins that exist so that when/if any repo comes into existence there’s a decent set of criteria to use by which to search them later.

As Bert pointed out, Robert was quick on the draw to export a CSV of the .org plugins list, and the data that existed in that respect. I’ve taken some columns from that export and added them to the Plugins (.org) sheet in the global content inventory workbook. The plugins sheet provides a few extra columns for flagging, tagging, and filtering purposes.

But the exported data needs improved, mostly with respect to a consistent taxonomy for tagging/filtering/searching plugins in a repo, and the descriptions need a lot of cleaning up

If you plugin devs (and everyone else too, of course) will reply here with the information indicated below, I will personally add your data to the spreadsheet as time allows (and hopefully other file maintainers too) to help get us closer to a proper understanding of the existing plugin pool:

1. Status: [1] (e.g., just say “all of “smd_” plugins are “usable”)
    • “Supported”
    • “Repairable” (broken in the latest stable release, but could be fixed; specifics must be provided for the “Notes” column)
    • “Orphaned” (abandoned but perhaps adoptable and usable)
    • “Obsolete” (since outdone by core or a newer plugin)
    • “Trash” (so old and decrepit that a new plugin from scratch would be easier and better)
    • Other?
  2. Type:
    • “Admin
    • “Not admin”
    • Other?
  3. Description (A clear, concise description in 50 words or less.)
  4. Cat1 (Primary grouping term.)2
  5. Cat2 (Secondary grouping term.)2
  6. Keywords (Up to five tag words for searching the plugin. These should not be the same words already used in Type, Cat1, or Cat2)
  7. URL (The most reliable location the plugin can be found).3

1 For example, you could reply and say “All of my plugins, prefix “abc_”, are Usable.”

2 The Cat1 and Cat2 terms only exist because they were dumped from a Txp install (.org), but in reality they may not be needed. Merging them into the Keywords may suffice depending on the future platform.

3 The URL field is a reflection of the exported .org URLs, but it should be the actual location where the plugin file can be reliably found. I.e., it’s possible a future repo may not be .org, thus .org URLs would be obsolete.

Everyone else,

Obviously not all devs are going to see this, especially as it concerns plugins needing a status of “Orphaned” or “Trashed”. So your help is needed as well to make those things clear. If a plugin is flagged as Orphaned or Trash, don’t worry about the rest of the data (unless you want to). Once the Status column is filled in, the primary focus is on the rest of the data for the Supported plugins.

If you know of any plugins not in the inventory, make them clear and they’ll be added.

#2 2015-10-17 14:14:50

Destry
Website

Re: [now obsolete] plugin inventory

Is “ku_image_uploader” supposed to be “kuo_”?

#3 2015-10-17 14:15:20

uli

Destry wrote #295914:

1. Status: (e.g., just say “all of “smd_” plugins are “usable”)

• Other?

Any hints or observations to repair a plugin, e.g. gbp_permanent_links was still working in TXP 4.5.5 and is broken in 4.5.7.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#4 2015-10-17 14:37:56

Destry
Website

uli wrote #295918:

Any hints or observations to repair a plugin, e.g. gbp_permanent_links was still working in TXP 4.5.5 and is broken in 4.5.7.

I’ll add a “Repairable” status option, then the specifics would go in the “Notes” column.

#5 2015-10-17 17:30:38

uli

Destry wrote #295917:

Is “ku_image_uploader” supposed to be “kuo_”?

No, it’s from Russian plugin author Kupidon. I once downloaded it via txplife.ru and saved a Google translate bookmark file for its article there.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#6 2015-10-17 17:51:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

uli wrote #295933:

No, it’s from Russian plugin author Kupidon. I once downloaded it via txplife.ru and saved a Google translate bookmark file for its article there.

uli, do you know the difference between txplife.ru and textpattern.ru ?

Is one more official than the other?

#7 2015-10-18 07:48:21

kuopassa
Plugin Author
Website

All of my plugins, prefix kuo_, are Usable.

Secondly: maybe an email letter could be sent to plugin authors to invite them to check this topic. All plugin authors have spent at least few hours in making something for Textpattern. I’m sure most of them wouldn’t mind receiving such a message. The emails are in Textpattern.org under Users tab. :-)

#8 2015-10-18 08:24:27

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry or anyone who manages that list. Could you mark phw_dtd as obsolete (currently no. 447 in the list)? Anno 2015, serving pages as pure XHTML is soo old-fashioned.
(I doubt that plugin still works as is, btw)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#9 2015-10-18 10:10:24

Destry
Website

kuopassa wrote #295956:

All of my plugins, prefix kuo_, are Usable.

Thanks.

maybe an email letter could be sent to plugin authors to invite them to check this topic.

Good idea. It will have to come from anyone else on the plugin dev list though. I’m not on it.

#10 2015-10-18 10:15:25

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #295958:

Could you mark phw_dtd as obsolete

Done.

#11 2015-10-18 13:08:40

uli

hcgtv wrote #295940:

uli, do you know the difference between txplife.ru and textpattern.ru ?

No, sadly, I don’t like reading what Google deems translation (omitting verbs) for more than one or two pages.

#12 2015-10-18 13:24:29

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I’d say, both are users sites, textpattern.ru is a bit older, as far as I remember, but looks outdated (4.0.6?). Neither can be called “official”, given their content. Edit: but if I had to choose, that would be textpattern.ru, the other one is more in the Txpbuiders class.

Last edited by etc (2015-10-18 18:07:20)

Board footer