Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2015-10-02 11:33:29

Algaris

Re: Must have Admin side plugins

cnk_versioning

I can’t work without it as I’m so used to working in my text editor these days.

#14 2015-10-14 23:36:36

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

There’s 770 plugins at the resources site, does anyone know if that contains all the plugins or are some plugins only available on the author’s site and/or GitHub?

Edit: By the way, we still link to Textgarden.org and Textdrive.com on the Resources Links page

Last edited by hcgtv (2015-10-14 23:49:48)

#15 2015-10-15 01:20:05

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote #295745:

are some plugins only available on the author’s site and/or GitHub?

I’m guessing there are some of both, but I couldn’t say what the numbers are. Not a lot, I would hope.

Another question might be, how many of that 770 is useless/unusable/abandoned at this point?

#16 2015-10-15 02:51:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #295746:

Another question might be, how many of that 770 is useless/unusable/abandoned at this point?

That’s a question I wish someone knows the answer to.

The current Resources site went live in 2006, it uses like 40 plugins, way too much functionality built into one site, I thinks. It needs to be split up into smaller, more manageable sites.

#17 2015-10-15 06:35:05

Destry
Website

Bloke had gone quite a ways once upon a time to produce a spec for redeveloping .org. One of the objectives was to strip out the other content types (tips, tutorials, etc) and relocate them to respective, appropriate real estate since they were no longer appropriate in a catch-all location. I doubt any of that non-plugin stuff is worth worrying about anyway. The site name would change to “Textpattern plugins” then too since “Resources” wouldn’t be accurate at that point. It’s arguably not accurate now.

Regardless of where a plugin repo ends up (.org, GitHub, wherever), the matter of plugin ROT is an important thing to address early, and can be done independent of any platform. Plugins are essentially content in this context so a spreadsheet inventory having at least name, link, and, if not too hard, purpose would be a good bases for first-pass filtering. A Google Sheet would probably be ideal, to make it accessible to the community — then let the community attack the list like piranha to flag what’s good and what isn’t. I don’t see any other way to make the good/bad determinations except manually, one-by-one, so it might as well be a community effort to facilitate things. We could even add it as a tab in the global content sheets (a centralization move), and add two or three columns for plugin type filtering. If anyone wanted to get me such a list (CSV format would be good), I’ll add the sheet.1

1 I still need to add Stubbs’ Textpattern Tips URLs he gave me. I’ll get on that eventually.

#18 2015-10-15 07:46:14

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #295751:

A Google Sheet would probably be ideal, to make it accessible to the community — then let the community attack the list like piranha to flag what’s good and what isn’t.

That’s a good idea, a CSV can easily be made from the current plugin database.

It’s a shame a prominent plugin developer has never taken charge of the plugins site.

Moving forward, there’s this word on the tip of my tongue, I’ve said it a number of times before on this here forum, it’s coming to me, it’s delegate!

#19 2015-10-15 07:54:31

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #295753:

It’s a shame a prominent plugin developer has never taken charge of the plugins site.

I’m not quite sure if this is expected to be read with a tongue-in-cheek approach or not – but actually, Ruud did take charge at least until the end of 2014. I think he qualifies as a prominent plugin developer.

it’s delegate!

The plugin repository has been a pure community effort in the beginning. Remember Alicson? Alas, it didn’t work out in the long term.

#20 2015-10-15 08:15:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote #295754:

I’m not quite sure if this is expected to be read with a tongue-in-cheek approach or not – but actually, Ruud did take charge at least until the end of 2014. I think he qualifies as a prominent plugin developer.

We owe a great deal to Mr. Ruud, but like you say, his involvement ended in 2014. We’ve gone a whole year without anyone in charge. And in charge means you’re on top of things, duster in hand, and all that.

• If Ruud can be Developer Emeritus, can I be Member Emeritus ;)

The plugin repository has been a pure community effort in the beginning. Remember Alicson? Alas, it didn’t work out in the long term.

In the long term, if more Textpattern users are in the cards, there’s no way 3 people, who are mainly coders, can handle it all.

There’s 2 approaches Robert:

a) Keep everything under one roof, allow more people into the inner circle, have a nice circled picture of them on the home page, here you go, this here person is in charge of Docs, and over here we have the Plugins person, and on, and on. No more of these conversations on the forum that go like, who can do this for me, I need this done over there.

b) Let external sites petition to be official, and as long as they have their act together, they can continue, if not, bring in the next website who wants to be prominently linked to from the home page.

Oh no, I’ve gone off topic!

#21 2015-10-15 08:24:29

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Board footer