Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2015-10-14 14:29:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Textpattern.io

philwareham wrote #295725:

Why does the community need to vote on that exactly? And why is that relevant to this thread topic? Please start a new topic if you think there’s something to discuss.

So the original thread doesn’t get censored or god forbid closed for going off subject.

Here goes …

Textpattern.io still has Textpattern in the name, Dean Allen owns the trademark.

As long as you have current backups, should Textpattern.com go offline, you can be up and running at another domain in a matter of hours.

What does going to Textpattern.io, do for us?

#2 2015-10-14 14:58:01

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Textpattern.io

Hi Bert, I always supported having a second and third domain (one for .com and one for .org) which would be managed by the community and using htaccess rules to point all urls to the .com domain. If by any chance we lost the .com or .org domains, we could change the htaccess and start using the domain in seconds.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2015-10-14 15:23:33

jakob
Admin
Website

If by any chance we lost the .com or .org domains, we could change the htaccess and start using the domain in seconds

I’m probably missing something (bit frazzled after a long day) but how does that work? Wouldn’t all the links in search machines and external sites point to the .com / .org domains? If ever those domains did disappear, we’d not be able to influence the external links, so they would disappear to wherever the new owner pointed them before ever reaching the alternative domains.

Working around the other way – e.g. from the .com / .org to a new domain – would work, and is something that could be arranged in advance. Going ahead with that would depend on how real or perceived the risk of losing the .com / .org domains is.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2015-10-14 16:03:31

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Firstly, there is no trademark on Textpattern. Let’s make that clear straight away.

The branding of Textpattern (i.e. the current logotype design and site designs) were created after Dean Allen left the project so he does not own those either.

Dean did start the project and wrote some of the codebase, and for that he is credited with a copyright. However, the project is open source under the GPLv2 licence, so that copyright only extends to that credit staying in place and the licence staying in place if others continue, or fork/copy, the codebase. Any contributions I or any of the other past or current core development team make are also copyright in that regard. The GPLv2 licence also protects the project from becoming closed source – if you want to change the license, you must get permission from all past contributors. If any one of them refuses permission, then you must either remove their contributions entirely or forget about the license change. I would never allow my contributions to be taken away into a closed source licence, so that ends that risk.

Coming back on topic, the textpattern.io domain has been chosen because:

1. The project is called Textpattern.
  2. There is a small risk that the previous domains will not be renewed at some point, over which we have no control.
  3. The new documentation site needs to reside on GitHub’s servers for technical/collaborative reasons – since we don’t have access to DNS records for textpattern.com or textpattern.net we cannot redirect those domains – or subdomains thereof – to that server.

I will grant other core devs access to the registrar where the domain is held, so if anything happens to me then there are others with the keys to the domain.

#5 2015-10-14 16:05:42

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jakob wrote #295732:

I’m probably missing something (bit frazzled after a long day) but how does that work? Wouldn’t all the links in search machines and external sites point to the .com / .org domains? If ever those domains did disappear, we’d not be able to influence the external links, so they would disappear to wherever the new owner pointed them before ever reaching the alternative domains.

Working around the other way – e.g. from the .com / .org to a new domain – would work, and is something that could be arranged in advance. Going ahead with that would depend on how real or perceived the risk of losing the .com / .org domains is.

Indeed you are right. If we advertised the alternative domains though, people would be informed and use an alternative one should we have a disaster like that.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2015-10-14 16:22:16

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #295734:

I will grant other core devs access to the registrar where the domain is held, so if anything happens to me then there are others with the keys to the domain.

Textpattern.io sounds like we’re fleeing, where Textpattern.xyz sounds like we’re following.

I will transfer the .xyz domain to Team Textpattern, if you want to use it instead. Forget about the $1 I spent on it, it’s my treat :)

#7 2015-10-14 17:00:19

GugUser

philwareham wrote #295734:

Firstly, there is no trademark on Textpattern. Let’s make that clear straight away.

(…)

I think this is a very clear explanation. Thanks.

#8 2015-10-15 06:26:13

bici
Website Mastodon

1) why not have Textpattern.io redirect to textpattern.com as of now?
2) philwareham – did you ever communicate with dean… i believe you mentioned you were going to try.

…. texted postive

#9 2015-10-15 06:32:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Sure, I will redirect .io (without subdomain) for now.

I have tried to contact Dean on several occasions but no replies were received, unfortunately.

Board footer